Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installed my UniqueTec Powder Bar Mics today

From what are they "curing" ??

The Loctite is curing on the outer threads that screw into the powder bar.

Thanks pmt.

Steve, the Micrometer kit comes with a tube of green loctite. You apply the loctite in 2 places. Where the threads go into the Powder Bar Insert (the piece inside the powder bar that moves) and where the Micrometer presses up against the end of the powder bar. It needs to sit for 24 hours.

If you load different charge weights or projectiles for multiple calibers you're going to love those. Easy to dial in your loads and tool less too.

Thats what I was hoping for. The small powder bar is for my pistol calibers and the large one will is for 223, but I do load different weights in 223.

I only load one caliber and two different loads and still love mine. It stays put better than the Dillon bolt did. Had to re adjust every 500 rounds or so before but now it stays right where I set it.

I JB Weld it to the bar and loctite the threads. I have had a issue with the micrometer coming loose from the bar. Keep and eye on it.

I have done the same. I considered drilling and tapping a set screw into the bar to hold the micrometer, that seems more elegant but not probably necessary.

Can someone do a step by step of the installation? Min is sitting here screaming at me to install. Can the micrometer be coming loose due to not sanding or filing the hole and still have Teflon?

Can someone do a step by step of the installation? Min is sitting here screaming at me to install. Can the micrometer be coming loose due to not sanding or filing the hole and still have Teflon?

This is quoted from the instructions:

The Teflon coating must be completely removed from the hole in the end of the powder bar where the adjustment

screw was removed. Use a round file or rolled up sandpaper to scrape away the Teflon coating, leaving a fresh bare
metal surface for the LocTite to achieve a good bond. Clean the hole with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue.

So reading that I would have to assume that if you did not sand off the teflon, the LocTite would not achieve a good bond and yes the micrometer could come loose.

Edited by bobonit

The instructions include cleaning the inside of the powder bar with a metric tap, helps to remove the Teflon and gives a little surface for the Loctite to bite.. Clean that with carb or brake cleaner. Green is the highest strength Loctite.

The instructions include cleaning the inside of the powder bar with a metric tap, helps to remove the Teflon and gives a little surface for the Loctite to bite.. Clean that with carb or brake cleaner. Green is the highest strength Loctite.

Using the 7mm tap is not mandatory, but is an option rather than using a round file or sandpaper.

Quoted from included instructions:

Step 4: Prepare the Powder Bar for Installation. **

The Teflon coating must be completely removed from the hole in the end of the powder bar where the adjustment screw was removed. Use a round file or rolled up sandpaper to scrape away the Teflon coating, leaving a fresh bare metal surface for the LocTite to achieve a good bond. Clean the hole with rubbing alcohol to remove any residue.
Note: If you happen to have a 7mm thread tap, it does a quick job of cutting through the Teflon coating and exposing clean bare metal for the Loctite to achieve a solid bond. Only a 7mm tap is the correct size. Do not substitute any other size metric or SAE tap.