Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec for SS 9 minor?

Noximus03

Been having some extraction issues lately out of the wife's Spartan. Mainly, the extractor is only pulling the shell partially out of the chamber, or in a few cases, won't let go of the shell at all. I'm wondering if it even makes sense to throw an Aftec in there, or if it's other issues? Anyone have some input on this? Thanks.

I had major extraction issues with my 9mm SS, and an Aftec fixed it right up. Not a single issue in over a year of shooting, approx. 15k rounds.

Prior to that I shaped, polished, and tensioned the standard extractor, to no avail.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did try reaching out to STI for a fix to my issues. I told them I was thinking of trying an aftec. They told me to try that first and if it doesn't work then we can ship it.

Got the aftec in the gun Sunday night. After the first 200 rounds there was no real improvement. The feed/extract issues were still there, just not as frequent. I'm going to run another 300 through it tomorrow and see if the aftec breaks in a little bit, but I'm also assuming that it needs to be broke in like most 1911 parts. Am I assuming correctly?

I was instructed by my gunsmith to run 1 spring in the front slot for a while. As soon as I noticed the extractor slip off the rim of a case (which took about 3-4K rounds), I moved the front spring to the back and put a fresh spring in the front. Haven't had a single issue since. I also compressed the new spring with pliers before installation