Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Crimp Die Issue?

Poseidon215

I have been reloading 9mm and 45ACP for quite a while now, but I am getting into 40 for when I build my 2011 limited gun. I am using a Lee Carbide set on a LnL AP. I do not use the expander since I use the Powder Funnel. So my problem is the loaded rounds are hanging up in the FCD. I took it apart cleaned it completely and reassembled it. I even took an empty case and tried to run it through but I got the same result. It feels fine just the tiny bit of resistance as it is crimping the case mouth but when I raise the lever to lower the ram, the round hangs up in the die and causes the whole press to jump. I am not sure what exactly to do. It definitely gets worse the more you crimp. When I had it apart I determined that It is hanging on the insert used for crimping. This cant be normal. I just purchased the die so there literally might be 20 rounds through it as I was playing with powder, flare, OAL, and crimping to get them where I want.

are you using the FCD as the crimping die or just as an assurance die? I have always use it as my crimp die. so the step before it would be seating and then it crimps with the FCD. i used to do the seating and crimping in one die and found it work a lot better this way .

Yes I just use the FCD for crimping. The carbide ring is bigger than the sizing die so most pieces of brass don't even touch it. The case mouth is sticking to the crimping insert inside the FCD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started using one also and have the same issue. Tried lubrication and it still sticks. I only use it for assurance and have the crimp turned out of the way. Will try polishing.

i would try 2 things first. lube your case if you don't do so already. Second is take out the ring and polish it

Lubing doesn't do anything and polishing the carbide ring won't help because that is not the problem. The floating crimp piece inside the die is sticking to the case mouth after crimping. The heavier the crimp the more it sticks. If I turn the crimp all the way out so it never touched the case then it runs through like butter but without any crimp

No i havent tried calling them yet I figured I would try here first in case it was a simple fix but I will give them a call tomorrow and see whats they suggest. The other option is swapping it at the store, maybe I just got a bad one

The FCD basically squeezes the top of case to crimp it. And the floating crimp piece is segmented, which when pushed up by the brass case against the inside top of the die, closes around the top of the loaded round. So when you withdraw the case, and release the pressure, it's supposed to open again and release the round. It sounds like where the floating crimp piece presses against the inside of the die, may be a little rough and it's sticking closed when released. Take out the floating piece and make sure there's no burrs or rough spots on outside surface of it, or on the inside top of the die body. Polish them a little if you can. And then slightly lube the outside face of the floating piece before putting back in die.

Btw, all my FCD have some of this resistance when withdrawing loaded rounds. Depending on the thickness of the brass, some resistance more than others. Usually S&B, and CBC brass sticks the most.

The FCD basically squeezes the top of case to crimp it. And the floating crimp piece is segmented, which when pushed up by the brass case against the inside top of the die, closes around the top of the loaded round. So when you withdraw the case, and release the pressure, it's supposed to open again and release the round. It sounds like where the floating crimp piece presses against the inside of the die, may be a little rough and it's sticking closed when released. Take out the floating piece and make sure there's no burrs or rough spots on outside surface of it, or on the inside top of the die body. Polish them a little if you can. And then slightly lube the outside face of the floating piece before putting back in die.

Btw, all my FCD have some of this resistance when withdrawing loaded rounds. Depending on the thickness of the brass, some resistance more than others. Usually S&B, and CBC brass sticks the most.

I removed the piece already cleaned it and lubed it but that did not help. The way it is designed the insert is just tapered on the inside so the further you screw it down the more it crimps, but there is no closing or opening, it is a static piece. My 9mm and 45acp dies do not have any resistance whatsoever when coming out of the Lee FCD.

Yeah you're right. I was thinking of the FCD for rifle rounds. They are segmented like I described.

But I still have some cases stick like you described. I just don't know how much harder it's happening with you. It might also be the bullet profile you are using that is causing it to hang up so much.

I pretty much only use lee dies. I don't like and don't use the FCD in 40 or 45 (I used a Dillon only for the crimp station). I do like the FCD and use it for the tapered 9mm rds. Unless I get a cracked case, I never have rds fail to pass a case gauge. Consider dropping the FCD for your straight wall pistol cases.

Are you sure you're not overcrimping the cartridge? Did you set the crimp by first backing out the adjustment all the way, then run a loaded cartridge up the die, then screw down the adjustment until it just touches? Withdraw the cartridge, and screw the adjustment down about 1/2 turn. All you need to do is remove any flaring from the case mouth. It's not like a roll crimp that gets turned into a groove. You do not want the case mouth to be digging into the sides of the bullet.

Im using 180gr precision delta that are rounded with the small flat tip.

Yea I have found the FCD to be awesome for 9mm especially with 147gr bullets as the cases like to get the coke bottle shape to them.

Yea, that is how I have the die adjusted, just so the flare is gone, but it is a serious hangup on the

• 2 weeks later...

The bullet is unmarked there is no ring around it like you would get from the crimp being too tight

Depends how much I crimp. I back it off to iron out the bell but not cutting the jacket/plating