Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo Gold Custom vs Other Open Guns

bayougump

I have a Tanfo Stock II in 9mm and in my opinion it's as good as it gets for Production. I like the Tanfoglio pistols and wanted to get some feedback on how the Tanfo Gold Custom stacks up in the world of Open guns. I do not own an open pistol but will one day. Any thoughts or comparisons that anyone can share?

Sent from my flux capacitor

I had a Gold Team in 9mm and found it made 8% less velocity with the same load as my CZ Open gun because of the 12 holes in the barrel (since then I've discovered my CZ barrel is even a little slow compared to my other Tanfo barrels). I've heard reports that the GTs have "soft barrel lugs" or "soft slides", but I don't think that's the case, rather that they require 8-10% more powder to make the same PF so GT owners are routinely loading rounds which would make 190PF in a barrel with no holes; I don't think and 9mm would last with a steady diet of 190PF.

I think they would make better Open Major guns in .38, but you'd still be burning 10% more powder. Besides with all that powder blasting out the holes in the barrel combined with the small two port comp its pretty violent and hard in the hand.

If you like the CZ75 platform I think the Czechmate is a good option, otherwise I would suggest something custom with no holes (or maybe just a few).

I have a huge collection of Tanfoglio Open projects which I hope to thin down this year so I'd be happy to set something up for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also been eyeballing a gold team setup , but I was curious about all the ports is the barrel also, im not sure I want ammo that hot. thanks kneelingatlas,

sorry to hijack but what kinda tango "projects" you got going? I may be intrested in something

At least in the U.S., two things are holding back the Tanfoglios as open platforms:

1. Abysmal customer service from the importer. They really could not suck any worse. Black holes look to EAA and dream about being able to suck as much as EAA does.

2. Lack of gunsmiths and aftermarket parts for them. (Probably due to #1.)

Elsewhere in the world, they do great and there are lots of folks shooting the platform, and not just the Gold Team either.

Edited by mpolans

here in australia the gold team/gold custom/eric gold etc tanfog open guns are very popular. as pointed out the ones with the "V12 comp which has 8 holes in the barrel plus 2 in the first part of the comp for a total of 12 holes plus a 2 port comp do bleed a LOT of gas. so you definitely have to push them along with a decent load. this makes them pretty damn LOUD too. however the comp/ports do seem to work really well. I just one on the weekend and even not being familiar with the pistol could rapid fire shots onto an 8inch plate at about 30 yards after just 1 sighting shot to see where it aimed. and I'm a decidely average shot...

there are a couple of things to consider though.

here in australia a eric gold custom is about 30% more than say an STI trubor. I imagine since STI's are made in the US the price gap may be even larger there.

support for the 2011 pattern guns is HUGE. and again, in the US I imagine the gap is even wider (we actually have fairly decent tanfog support here). though henning makes great tanfog parts and the eric G shop is getting a bit better now too.

you want a scope mount for your 2011? you have 50 to chose from. want one for your eric gold? maybe 3 to chose from and all 3 will be mail order from europe.

Once you've got it dialled in they work great. They are very reliable. they look great. I REALLY like the way they feel in the hand and it you like the way your stock II feels you've love the way an eric gold custom feels too.

basically here in my country in IPSC in open div it's either tanfog open guns of various version (gold team, eric gold, gold custom etc), or 2011 pattern guns (SVI, STI, limcat, brazos, local gunsmith custom models etc) with the odd czechmate appearing here and there (though they are gaining popularity).

I think if you're willing to pay a bit extra for it (assuming price comparison is similar in the US), and willing to accept there is not a wide range of custom options for it then they are a great gun. If you're the guy who wants a ti coated barrel, and custom safeties, and 100 grip options then a 2011 based gun may be a better choice.

personally though, I love the little italians. :)

tell me these are not great looking guns!

GoldCustomEric-Angle2010.jpg

I LOVE this extreme version in black.

goldcustomjpg.jpg

I like this too. particularly the exposed guiderod/spring. don't like their scope mount too much though. looks nicely with a 90degree mount imo. or the quinn/DAA mount.

spa0109oo4.jpg

Edited by BeerBaron

Had one for a short bit a while ago in SC. It was a flame throwing, RO deafening hand cannon. You can decide if that is a plus or a minus. It shot pretty flat and I liked the grip angle more than the S_I variants. The two deal killers were the lack of support for Tanfo's compared to S_Is here in the US (I was told several times over the course of 3 months that the parts I needed "might be on a ship that is on the way here") and for my V12 the lugs started shearing off within 400 rounds. To be fair this was before they redesigned the comp to lighten it up and a couple other things which seem to make that a non-issue with newer models. To their credit also I was able to return the gun and get my money back.

yeah the V12's are most definitely tooth rattling, shockwave causing, vomit inducing, flame belching monsters. on the plus side you will soon find out if you have any loose fillings as they'll all fall out during your first couple of mags... plus friends will always be able to find you in a maze as they blow massive flames and smoke rings straight up!