Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot older than most...

So I stumbled across this in the basement, a unopened 12lb keg of red dot, and it is at the very least 40 years old. I want to shoot it but I think I have to keep it as is and mount it in my reloading room. Anyways, just thought I would share this neat find.

post-46089-0-77477000-1398992688_thumb.g

How in the hell do you just stumble across a 12 pound keg of powder in your basement?

LOL... I thought I was special for finding 500 rounds of Wolf .223 I forgot I had once.

How in the hell do you just stumble across a 12 pound keg of powder in your basement?

Haha yeah I know what you mean but it came from my grandfathers estate over 15 years ago and everyone just kind of forgot about it. At the time, we didn't really shoot and reload much except for occasional and random plinking and using a shotgun powder for anything other than shotgun was like; saaayyyy whaaatttt?

And because this is what I feel like when I look for things in the basement.

post-46089-0-43947800-1399030906_thumb.j

Edited by Russellhjoy

You can call alliant or whoever makes red dot and they can tell you about it. I had a buddy call about some blue dot. They said it was a cotton cellulose base powder or something like that as opposed to whatever it is now. They recommended not shooting it or starting really low and working up.

Love the old powder packaging! Even 1 pounders use to come in much cooler packages. I. E. metal or fiber with metal. Now they're just like everything else these days...freaking plastic.....

Love the old powder packaging! Even 1 pounders use to come in much cooler packages. I. E. metal or fiber with metal. Now they're just like everything else these days...freaking plastic.....

True, there are some great old containers, but plastic (particularly sealed) is probably better overall for long-term storage.