Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broken Adjustable Sight

huskerlrrp

A couple manufacturers make fixed sights that fit Bo-Mar sight cuts.

Having broken four adjustable rear sights, I wouldn't put one on an important pistol unless I had a spare pistol for when the adjustable sight invariably goes TU. My Accu-Shadow sports a HAJO, but I have a tricked-out regular Shadow with fixed sights that comes along to every match.

The sight broke during a shooting session under recoil. No dropping of the firearm. The metal is very thin in this area (holes for springs) and it looks like it was cast, but I can't be sure until I take it to work and check it out under the microscope. I'd say that's it is the weak point.

I don't have a spare Tactical Sport, but it's in the long term plans.

I have an extra Ed Brown Bomar sight, but these are the LPA TRT cut where the adjustment screw threads in the sight and not the slide.

Thanks for the comments. On another forum a CZ gunsmith with a lot of experience hadn't seen this.

It's a LPA TRT adjustable.

IMG_20140426_161725_zpse1e0bc96.jpg

Only 0.72 mm in vertical thickness and 0.6 in the width in the failure cross section.

Edited by huskerlrrp

Yes, I have experience with the Caspian LPA sight. It's holding up well so far. My stock sight broke in about a year.

Snapped this one last night. Looks like I won't be shooting Limited next weekend..

IMG_20140426_083955_586_zps18913275.jpg

Was going to try the Caspian Arms rear sight. Any opinions/experiences with them? Others?

I have a couple of broken LPA brand rear adjustable sights. a couple have broken pins, one has broken screw. LPA of course offer no replacement parts for them. needless to say my opinion of them is not great. sadly most of the adjustables made for CZ are LPA, or LPA re-branded and sold by someone else. :(

BB...try the Caspian. I bought two, thinking it'd be a good idea to have another back-up. Well, so far, it's lasted at least twice as long as my stock LPA and is still going. And, I'm the King of broken CZ parts...where is that wood?

I have a couple of broken LPA brand rear adjustable sights. a couple have broken pins, one has broken screw. LPA of course offer no replacement parts for them. needless to say my opinion of them is not great. sadly most of the adjustables made for CZ are LPA, or LPA re-branded and sold by someone else. :(

Damn I've just ordered my target here in Australia and see this. How long are the sights lasting? Wonder if ccaspian arms ship overseas may need to get one as a back up it's my only pistol so spares maybe a go. Which is it the ccaspian arms LPA adjustable code S24LT?

Thanks

Yes. Brownells also sells it for a few dollars less.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/rear-sights/1911-auto-adjustable-sights-prod4969.aspx

Damn I've just ordered my target here in Australia and see this. How long are the sights lasting? Wonder if ccaspian arms ship overseas may need to get one as a back up it's my only pistol so spares maybe a go. Which is it the ccaspian arms LPA adjustable code S24LT?

Thanks

Edited by justaute

Dave, you can always keep a stock shadow non-adjustable rear sight as a spare/emergency sight. on the proviso that you are still using the standard height front sight. in a match/emergency replacement it may be easier to fit the fixed sight and have it in the ballpark of where you want it aiming by setting it in the middle of the dovetail. with the adjustable you have to figure out how to set the windage and may not have a chance to sight in that new sight before having to shoot another stage.

otherwise the good news is every second bloke in production division in aus shoots a shadow of some kind so borrowing a gun to shoot your remaining stages in a match would never be an insurmountable problem. that way you can still use your own mags, rig and rounds and finish the match and fix your sights later. :)

Justaute, thanks for that tip on the caspian adjustable. does the one with the 'LPA cut' fit the CZ shadow dovetail cut? if not, can I work on the sight to make it fit? we shoot under IPSC rules so cannot modify the dovetail cut in the slide to fit the sights, but can legally modify the sights to fit the slide.

thanks again. :)

Justaute, thanks for that tip on the caspian adjustable. does the one with the 'LPA cut' fit the CZ shadow dovetail cut? if not, can I work on the sight to make it fit? we shoot under IPSC rules so cannot modify the dovetail cut in the slide to fit the sights, but can legally modify the sights to fit the slide.

Are you from Aus mate? If so I'm looking for a good load powder lead primer and oal if you have any idea let me know I'm the only one with a CZ in my club they all have sti I'm not popular lol

Only if your Shadow is the "Target" model, which has the LPA-cut. Based on my experience, it's pretty much a drop-in fit. The below-linked page to CZ Custom has a quick overview of the various slide-cuts for sights.

http://czcustom.com/czsightcuts.aspx

Edited by justaute

Are you from Aus mate? If so I'm looking for a good load powder lead primer and oal if you have any idea let me know I'm the only one with a CZ in my club they all have sti I'm not popular lol

g'day cobber! yes I'm from Aus.

primer - either federal or whatever you can get (I also use Murom with success)

cases, I used mixed stuff (once fired mil - with primer crimp swaged out, win, fed, magtech, and starline mainly)

powder, I like AP50N but have used AS30 and AP70 too. for me AP50 is the better powder for 9mm minor loads.

projectiles. I like fronteir copper coated (they are not FMJ) in 135gn RN which are sized .356

OAL, with this projie they shot best at between 1.070 and 1.080 OAL

powder charge is 3.7gn of AP50

PF comes out to 136PF which is just on 1000 FPS.

that is a nice shooting load. match it with an 11lb or 10lb recoil spring.

they only need a very light crimp (basically just enough to remove the flare).

If you're not shooting IPSC and don't need to meet PF you could dial down the powder a little to 3.5gn or so.

If you use coated lead instead of copper plated you can wind the powder down to 3.4gn or so and still make PF as they shoot a bit faster for the same weight projie.

are you in NSW?

Only if your Shadow is the "Target" model, which has the LPA-cut. Based on my experience, it's pretty much a drop-in fit. The below-linked page to CZ Custom has a quick overview of the various slide-cuts for sights.

ahhh, of course! I forgot the target has the slide milled to an LPA cut to give more sight options. mine is the bog standard shadow and in IPSC I cannot mill the slide to fit sights. I just have to stick with the crappy ones that keep breaking, or stick with fixed which is what I'm trying at the moment. thanks for that. :)

I'm in WA thanks for the load info I had worked out a 135g Lrn with 3.6 AP50n in a sti just wasn't sure on the CZ overall length had been told keep it below 1.090 so that's great thanks. I'll stick with the 135gr in copper and try it.

ahhh, of course! I forgot the target has the slide milled to an LPA cut to give more sight options. mine is the bog standard shadow and in IPSC I cannot mill the slide to fit sights. I just have to stick with the crappy ones that keep breaking, or stick with fixed which is what I'm trying at the moment. thanks for that. :)

Will the CZ 85 combat sight fit on a shadow it's not milled like the target?

BB...have you looked into the Hajo sight from CZ Custom? It's only adjustable vertically, but I've seen some pretty positive feedback so far.

http://czcustom.com/czshadowtacrearhajo.aspx

Will the CZ 85 combat sight fit on a shadow it's not milled like the target?

unfortunately no it won't the CZ's have a few different sight cuts from 75, to SP01 to shadow. and the target is different again. BUT since the target has an "LPA cut" which is a popular type of dovetail on 1911's you should be able to find a range of sights that fit that cut.