Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.15

ZackJones

Thought I'd start a new discussion for 1.2.15.

What's New

* TimePlus/points Fixed crash in per-class report (0000334)

* Fixed critical WiFi sync regression on Nooks (0000339)

* Build stage screen does not scroll (0000338)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think about it, just do it. We ran 1.2.12 at matches for a month before area 6 with success. We set a software change freeze weeks before area 6, settling on 1.2.12 and 1.6.1. We would have been burned otherwise by all the stuff that came out the week of the match, especially if we had had devices that we were allowing to auto-update themselves.

...We would have been burned otherwise by all the stuff that came out the week of the match...

...or you could have helped testing new versions of a free software you depend on and had all those issues fixed before your big match.

I was on your beta list, sir. You sent me exactly one beta version, I think around the 1.2.0 timeframe. I've never seen another. 1.2.12 was working fine. Even if 1.2.13 had been perfect, I still wouldn't have used it, as our change freeze was already on. 1.2.14 I'm sure wants to just be swept under the rug along with 1.2.6. And 1.2.15 came out the first day of area 6. Surely to god not even YOU would implement a new release the day of a 12 stage, 400 shooter match. So no, we ran 1.2.12, which performed its data-gathering function adequately, and thank you for that.

2014/04/10 - PractiScore 1.2.15 released

2014/04/11 - Area 6 starts

I'm sure any issues could have been patched before our "big match", and 12 primary, along with 12 back-up NOOKs could have all been updated. At a range with no internet access, and extremely limited cellular coverage.

That would have been an excellent plan.

*I* don't go into major matches with beta software. I don't even do that at local matches, unless I have a full fleet of backup devices with a version I know the characteristics of.

JC, working with developers and making sure that critical software works for your big match is one thing.However unconditionally recommending everyone to use 3+ months old version is completely different story.

PS: for God's sake, please add an email app and/or "send to SD" app [1] to your Nook rooting package.

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.gelin.android.sendtosd

We go with what is known to work, given the state of testing on the android side.

1.2.13 has issues. (Please don't make me list the mantis links, you know I will.) 1.2.14..., we won't even talk about. 1.2.15 has at least a couple of issues as shown above. We haven't seen 1.2.16 yet and it if shows up today, it is still unproven, again because of the state of testing for the android version of practiscore. We nonetheless continue to wait for 1.2.16 with interest.

1.2.12 is therefore the current stable release. For someone running a major match in the near future, it is the only reasonable recommendation to make, and I stand by and repeat the 2014 Area 6 Championships Chief Stats Officer's recommendation.

Good idea on "Send to SD", though the google play link is useless for most nooks. Fortunately, however, the vendor has a direct .apk download on their website https://code.google.com/p/sendtosd-android/

Bill, what is your point? I am not objecting to your personal preferences for using what you like, but if you believe some version you stick to (including 1.2.12) is free of bugs, you need to check that Mantis site again... Especially given that you likely not using any other functionality besides USPSA.

I don't want to argue with you, however some of your recommendations are generating support requests we have no way to deal with other than request users to update to the last version. Either because issue is already fixed there or because we have no other way to reproduce it in the old version. In other words, these recommendations may solve some immediate problem for someone but they don't do much good for everyone in a long run. Please think about it before you type another page-long reply.

No, 1.2.12 is not completely free of issues, but it at least appears to be free of critical problems that would hinder the operation of a match, which is why we chose it for Area 6 and why we continue to recommend it until such time as a new stable release is produced.

And.... in the interests of reliability, availability, and serviceability ("RAS"; it's an IBM acronym, google it if you interested), have you all considered that it might be wise to split apart IDPA and whatever other shooting disciplines you currently support into separate apps? Sound like a lot of work and a major philosophical shift for Niftybytes? You're right, it absolutely is, but it might enhance maintainability of the products overall. (I'm pretty sure there have been problems caused before in the USPSA "side" of things because of something done for IDPA, and vice versa.) And to me, there is just something fundamentally wrong with the idea that the official USPSA Scoring Program is not solely dedicated to USPSA and SCSA. For instance I know you have it specifically included for other shooting games, but the official USPSA Scoring Program should not allow the user to define an all-steel fixed-time stage, which is illegal in a USPSA match.

Bill,

Just because USPSA has agreed to move out of the stone age and use a modern electronic scoring system doesn't mean the vendor should have to make the system unique to USPSA. Many of the users of this program are clubs that have multiple disciplines and limited budgets so that they may have one set of Nooks but be running USPSA, IDPA, SC, 3-Gun, and who knows what else. Why should they have to have multiple programs if one can do the job, One method of import, one way the data is moved, appearance of course can and should vary. BUT one method of registration, one way to input data and one way to port it out. No need to load different scoring systems, just select the match type and go.

It would made no change if app would have been split into pieces. There are enough common code in there, so it would break when bugs are in the common code. Any software have bugs, bugs being reported and reported bugs are being fixed in a reasonable time. Critical bugs are fixed as soon as we can. In case of Practiscore it is all happening for free.

So --- speaking of 1.2.15 -- What is the proper way of reporting bugs? I had a rather major one yesterday. I went to import shooters from the clubs.practiscore.com registration using the pin #, and the app crashed. When I got back in, I noticed that not only did nothing actually import properly, it also wiped out everything that was in my previous match (the match that wasn't even selected).

Luckily, I always backup all of the matches to my iPhone...

Needless to say, we'll be running 1.2.12 for the match this weekend. If it worked for A6, it'll work for our local match.

Also -- it appears that the online registration still give the default USPSA divisions as Limited (instead of LTD), Limited 10 (instead of LTD10). When I was beta testing 1.2.13, the app didn't like the names being different when I imported using the pin#. I had to go through and correct all shooters manually. For registration this go around, I just entered the names that I know Practiscore wants instead of using any of the pre-populated ones.

Edited by uod

NO..please do not split the programs apart...that's all we need is to have to manage 4-6 different apps. We use Practiscore on IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, Action Steel, and Steel Challenge matches. I'd hate to have 5 different programs when 1 works fine for us now.

So --- speaking of 1.2.15 -- What is the proper way of reporting bugs? I had a rather major one yesterday. I went to import shooters from the clubs.practiscore.com registration using the pin #, and the app crashed. When I got back in, I noticed that not only did nothing actually import properly, it also wiped out everything that was in my previous match (the match that wasn't even selected).

Luckily, I always backup all of the matches to my iPhone...

Needless to say, we'll be running 1.2.12 for the match this weekend. If it worked for A6, it'll work for our local match.

Also -- it appears that the online registration still give the default USPSA divisions as Limited (instead of LTD), Limited 10 (instead of LTD10). When I was beta testing 1.2.13, the app didn't like the names being different when I imported using the pin#. I had to go through and correct all shooters manually. For registration this go around, I just entered the names that I know Practiscore wants instead of using any of the pre-populated ones.

Sounds pretty bad, sorry you had those issues. That was a rough week for them. Anyway, I'd contact Ken Nelson with a PM asking to be added to the practiscore mantis system, which is where you could go to enter problem tickets and feature requests.

NO..please do not split the programs apart...that's all we need is to have to manage 4-6 different apps. We use Practiscore on IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, Action Steel, and Steel Challenge matches. I'd hate to have 5 different programs when 1 works fine for us now.

Steel and USPSA would still be one app. But don't worry, EUXX already shot it down, and actually had a good reason for it, I guess, even though my concerns about code maintainability are still there.

So --- speaking of 1.2.15 -- What is the proper way of reporting bugs? I had a rather major one yesterday. I went to import shooters from the clubs.practiscore.com registration using the pin #, and the app crashed. When I got back in, I noticed that not only did nothing actually import properly, it also wiped out everything that was in my previous match (the match that wasn't even selected)...

Please report it to https://practiscore.com/bugs/ and also send us your match pin.

Also, when app crashed it offers you to send a crash report after you restart it. It is very helpful if you do that.

Rgr that. Thanks Bill.

I told you wrong, sorry about that. See below.

So --- speaking of 1.2.15 -- What is the proper way of reporting bugs? I had a rather major one yesterday. I went to import shooters from the clubs.practiscore.com registration using the pin #, and the app crashed. When I got back in, I noticed that not only did nothing actually import properly, it also wiped out everything that was in my previous match (the match that wasn't even selected)...

Please report it to https://practiscore.com/bugs/ and also send us your match pin.

Also, when app crashed it offers you to send a crash report after you restart it. It is very helpful if you do that.

Yes, anyone can sign up for a practiscore mantis account. I'd forgotten about that. Sorry for any confusion.