Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PractiScore 1.2.15

ZackJones

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, which is why if you read my post "once again" carefully, you'll see where I qualified my answer from a USPSA standpoint while saying I didn't know what you needed for steel.

Edited by wgnoyes

Once again. It doesn't mean others will have the same experience with an unsupported app version. Especially when using it for different match types.

And hold on a minute! Let me ask this. You said "unsupported app version", apparently in reference to 1.2.12. Are you telling me you don't support anything except the most recent available version/release?

We ran our match on 1.2.15 today and I had a few crashes on my Android (Galaxy S4) master device, but everything else seemed to work okay Nook-wise. USPSA's website barked about the wrong version but we only had the 1 classifier.

I tapped the Report button and it said it sent in the crash reports, but I have no clue if those actually get seen by anyone or used for anything.

We ran our match on 1.2.15 today and I had a few crashes on my Android (Galaxy S4) master device, but everything else seemed to work okay Nook-wise. USPSA's website barked about the wrong version but we only had the 1 classifier.

I tapped the Report button and it said it sent in the crash reports, but I have no clue if those actually get seen by anyone or used for anything.

In my experience they do. On the Android side Eugene usually contacts me for additional details, if needed.

And hold on a minute! Let me ask this. You said "unsupported app version", apparently in reference to 1.2.12. Are you telling me you don't support anything except the most recent available version/release?

It's a rhetorical question, right.

Those reports are sent to the same support email address as the regular support requests. Unless your device don't have internet connection we'll receive and will evaluate all of them. Couple crashes on device sync already fixed for 1.2.16 (e.g. when you tap Refresh button). If you'd like to follow up, you can always email to suport@practiscore.com or submit your bug reports at https://practiscore.com/bugs/ to have better tracking and progress on your issues.

Thanks Eugene, good to know it's worth reporting. It was indeed during the Refresh (or around that time) that my crashes occurred, but it wasn't constant so I didn't want to waste time since I couldn't figure out steps to reproduce.

It seemed like if my phone went to lock/sleep mode while it was on the sync screen, when I entered the unlock PIN it caused PS to crap out. Can't be sure of that though...

Anyhow, if I'm able to nail down a different type of crash I'll post a bug report.

Once again. It doesn't mean others will have the same experience with an unsupported app version. Especially when using it for different match types.

No it's not a rhetorical question. Do you support anything other than the most recent available version?

I'll try again.

Assume I was running 1.2.12 at Area 6 and we had a problem, and we called for support. Would you attempt in any way to offer a solution or otherwise help us get around the problem, or would you simply say "1.2.12 isn't the latest release, it's not supported, install the latest release"?

It's a simple question...

Bill, you already got my answer. Any fixes will be done on the latest version. That doesn't mean we won't try to address your problem, but effectively you'll have to update.

Okay, that's all I needed you to say, that you would try to address the problem, especially in an environment where we would naturally be very reluctant to update mid-stream in the middle of a major match to an untried version. Thanks.

Edited by wgnoyes

Any how the hell exactly is this a "problem of your own backyard"?

When you release a version, it's BETA. Because you, self admittedly, only test "things that interest you". So we find a problem, and your solution is "Here, replace your version that you know has a certain problem set with a version that's completely untested, and may or may not fix your problem, and may or may not introduce additional problems that you'll only discover in the middle of a match"?

I don't know where you learned about development, testing and release methodologies, BUT THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE. You're releasing software that people are counting on to work, and to provide some modicum of support when something goes wrong. Saying in the middle of a 400 shooter x 12 stage match "Oh, that? Well, you're running one release level down, so I'm not interested in any problems you have. Upgrade to the latest version, and see if it still does that." just does NOT CUT IT.

Hey, I have an idea. Let's find the manufacturer of your car, and have them apply the same philosophy. Maybe after you smack a phone pole at 100kph because the engine shutdown in a curve because some developer at Toyota|Ford|GM|Subaru just didn't feel like handling a corner case when the accelerometer values are exactly 0.125 G's, and said "Screw it, just reboot the ECM."

So here's the short-form version: No one trusts your releases because of your (lack of) testing philosophy, releasing three versions in 24 hours, and the expectation that there WILL be problems in things that used to work. PractiScore users have the expectation the software will work. Oh, it's free, you say? SO WHAT? I can point to thousands of free programs that are solid, quality software. The expectation is that it will be *reasonably* stable. Will they find odd use cases? Sure. Should they basic functionality like syncing to crash? No. So what do people do? They run versions where the problems are (mostly) known, and save the bleeding edge versions for when they can risk a match going to hell because of some failure or another.

With the wide-spread and ever-increasing adoption of PractiScore, you need to realize that you're representing a company that has expectations of USPSA and other shooting disciplines adopting it as the primary scoring method, and that ultimately, this is an income source for said company. Every time you release a version that breaks things that used to work, don't even bother with superficial testing, decide that a 5 word change log is acceptable, and don't indicate potential issues in that release, you're damaging that company's credibility. When that credibility gets low enough, people will abandon PractiScore for other systems (think Wirtex, or maybe an open-source solution).

So before you go shooting off with "Not the current version, not interested.", 5 word change logs, a release-of-the-day, and whine about no one is helping you test, I suggest you keep in mind what I wrote above.

Edited by jcwren

Any how the hell exactly is this a "problem of your own backyard"?

Simply because you guys choose not to support recent versions of a FREE software or don't want to invest your time in helping with testing. I can live with that, as long as you accept consequences of your decisions.

Bill, I hope you do realize that "untried version" issue is a problem of your own backyard.

No actually it's yours, but don't worry about it. I found out all I needed to know today.

Best wishes,

Bill Noyes,

Section Coordinator,

Georgia Section USPSA, GA-05

Edited by wgnoyes