Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 .40 caliber conversion question

I have a 550 and 650. On the 550, the shell plate for 9x19 and .40 are the same – you only need to change out the brass button things. Is that also true for the 650?

I’m only set up to load 9x19 on the 650, but if the shell plate is the same and I have the .40 brass buttons, then all I should need is the .40 case feed adaptor for the case feeder – correct?

Thanks for your help.

On my 650, I don't change anything in the case feeder when going from 40 to 9. I do change the shell plate, however (just cause I have it and figured I was suppose to...I haven't tested anything).

Flex,

Then your case feed adaptor (the colored plastic thing at the bottom of the case feeder tube) can't be for 9mm because .40 cases won't go through mine for 9 (it's green in color).

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on getting the caliber conversion to my 650 from 9mm to .40. If all I need is the case feed adapter and locator buttons that would save me some money. I already have the dies and toolhead for .40 cal. If I need anything else, someone please chime in. I am new to handloading and could use some help in this area.

Dave

I am planning on getting the caliber conversion to my 650 from 9mm to .40. If all I need is the case feed adapter and locator buttons that would save me some money. I already have the dies and toolhead for .40 cal. If I need anything else, someone please chime in. I am new to handloading and could use some help in this area.

Dave

Dave,

The 550 shell plate for 9 and 40 is the same. However, that's not the case for the 650 (I called Dillon), so you'll need to buy a conversion kit.

I ordered mine from BE. It's $65.

"However, that's not the case for the 650 (I called Dillon), so you'll need to buy a conversion kit. "

That is strange since I use the 9mm plate for 9 & 40. Did Dillon tell you what damage is done to 40 reloads by using the "wrong" plate? Curious to know. Thanks D.

It is unlikely that fired 40 brass will fit the 650 #5 shellplate. New brass some some manufacturers might fit, but most fired 40s get sufficiently blown out as to require a different shellplate. T :ph34r: he shellplate design differs between the 550 and 650.

"However, that's not the case for the 650 (I called Dillon), so you'll need to buy a conversion kit. "

That is strange since I use the 9mm plate for 9 & 40. Did Dillon tell you what damage is done to 40 reloads by using the "wrong" plate? Curious to know. Thanks D.

Carlos,

Dillion tech support told me that the shell plates are different in the 650 for 9 and 40 - but the same for the 550.