Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45/70 gov

I load 45/70 on a 550 so you should not have a problem. I don't use a Dillon powder measure, I use a Redding measure mounted on an adapter and drop the charges manually. I have never had a problem doing it this way and I have loaded a truck load of these with Reloader 7 and 4198. You have to pick your bullets for the Marlin, HP's and flat noses only and be careful of the OAL so they will feed.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I recently picked up a SBL and just got going reloading for it. I have both a 650 and a 550 and decided to load on the 550 because of the size of the case. It may have changed but it used to be that the conversion for that large of a case took more than the normal changeover on a 650. I also think that you used to have to change the case feeder but not sure of they have made it work in the newer feeders? I decided to not even mess with that and load on the 550 because I have that choice.

Other than that it is no different than any other type of rifle cartridge on the 650. I have used the Dillon powder measure with the rifle bar for loading progressivly but mostly with ball powder or small short cut stick powder. With some of the bigger stick powders you will get the cutting of the granules which can be a PITA.

Neal in AZ

By the way, here is a pic of my SBL. It slapped a red dot on it until I get the Scout scope on it. the red dot makes it fun shooting steel plates with light cast bullet loads.

1885_SBL_red_dot_web.jpg

any of you guys that need some factory 4570 ammo? my father had to take payment on some work with ammo and guns and i have about 8 boxes of 300 grain HP that i will make someone a really good deal on, buy it all and ill throw in about 40+ rounds of the same ammo just doesnt have a box, i can ship it all in a usps $12 flat rate box i think, i guess just pm me if you are interested

Edited by gondo

any of you guys that need some factory 4570 ammo? my father had to take payment on some work with ammo and guns and i have about 8 boxes of 300 grain HP that i will make someone a really good deal on, buy it all and ill throw in about 40+ rounds of the same ammo just doesnt have a box, i can ship it all in a usps $12 flat rate box i think, i guess just pm me if you are interested

You can't ship ammo via USPS.

Legally anyways. I've seen a lot of ammo shipped usps. Some people don't care if hey get in trouble

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

what brand and what are you asking?

I load it on my 550 with all dillon equipment except hornady dies. Only ones I could get at the time.

Conversion kit requires xl and belted ad dons for conversion kit. So I just stuck with my 550. Decided large caliber rifle will stay on my 550 and I'll load everything else on 650

On the XL650, you will need the magnum case feed tube and case feed body assembly, due to the huge rim diameter of this case. Order #11069

Did the older case feeders need something changed on them? I seem to remember that you needed to get the new clear plastic front part of the case feeder to load 45-70. I know you guys changed the case feeder so I guess you don't need that anymore?

Neal in AZ

Oh on well ups or fedex then...

what brand and what are you asking?

It's at my shop I will look at the brand and get a pic tomorrow or Monday.

Legally anyways. I've seen a lot of ammo shipped usps. Some people don't care if hey get in trouble

Indeed, but I wouldn't want to risk a $27,500 fine and up to five years in prison for shipping hazardous materials via USPS if they detected it (and higher fines and penalties if you injure or kill someone). Have you ever seen personally or heard of USPS tearing/opening/ripping/damaging a shipment? Imagine if that happens when you ship some ammo.

Indeed, but I wouldn't want to risk a $27,500 fine and up to five years in prison for shipping hazardous materials via USPS if they detected it (and higher fines and penalties if you injure or kill someone). Have you ever seen personally or heard of USPS tearing/opening/ripping/damaging a shipment? Imagine if that happens when you ship some ammo.

I wouldn't risk it. But some do. I have never heard if them actually opening a shipment. I could imagine they must or it's just a scare tactic.

Thaks for all the great info!

It looks like Dillon does not make 45/70 dies. What brand do you all like?

I live in the commie state of NY and can no longer order ammo.

Padraig

Hornady make a good three die set. I don't use the taper die though just used the powder funnel from my conversion kit.

I wouldn't risk it. But some do. I have never heard if them actually opening a shipment. I could imagine they must or it's just a scare tactic.

I haven't heard of USPS opening them intentionally inspecting either, but with the number of people who claim they received an empty box (someone opened it and took the contents or it was packaged so poorly it fell out), boxes that were nearly destroyed with stuff falling out or sorting machine damaged packages, I wouldn't risk it either.

I just went throught this on dies. Usually like Redding but nothing was avaiable. I was able to borrow a set of Redding and then put a set of Hornady on order so I could see the difference. I used the Redding and got the Hornady in and used them also. I like the Redding sizer but not the seater die. The Hornady sizer works fine and seater die seems to work better for all the different bullets I load including the pointy FTX bullet. I also am a big fan of the Redding profile crimp so I got the FTX profile crimp which will crimp bothe regular cases and the shorter Hornady FTX cases.

So for dies I would say:

Best option: Franken die set composed of a Redding sizer and FTX crimp dies with a Hornady seater

2nd: Hornady set with an FTX crimp die added to it.

I will work with the 2nd option since I have them already but will add the Redding sizer eventually.

Neal in AZ

I ordered all of the parts to load 45-70 on my 650 from Brian, my 1895sbl arrived (it was on order since June) now I am looking at it, it's not the normal 5 minute conversion. This is a conversion that looks like a big conversion. The case feeder needs to be updated with a new plastic part that holds a new micro switch. The drop tube is changed, along with the spot that it connects to the press. It looks like a long conversion.

I have left for sale 3 full boxes of 20, 1 partial box of 15, and 20 matching brass. All Federal 45-70 govt 300 grain sierra pro-hunter HP FN. Will ship UPS for free to CONUS. $110 for all which I think is a really good deal, this sales for at least 40 a box if not more.

ammo004_zpsc630138e.jpg

ammo010_zps8a565e46.jpg