Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

30sf leaving cases, extractor slipping off

Kingman

Brand spanking new 30sf, bought to carry when traveling south.

Could not run a mag through it. Every fired round was still in the chamber. I was using 175 power factor loads.

Ideas?

I thought about trying some hardball and see if that works.

Can you be more specific about the ammo it's having trouble with?

My 30SF and 30S (and 21SF) will all run on minor ammo down around 148pf, so I doubt it's that your ammo is "too weak" for the Glock.

I have no idea what you shoot in single stack. :)

So, these are 230gr FMJ doing about 740fps?

That should be enough to function. Are subsequent rounds feeding into the case head of the fired cartridge, or is the slide not cycling completely (and not stripping a round from the mag)?

i.e. after you've fired, what's the state of the pistol?

I had a similar problem with a G17. It only would happen with Bayou bullet 9mm 125gr. The bullet has what i would describe as a shoulder. When i would fire the gun the back of the spent case would catch the shoulder, stopping the case and causing the extractor to come around the case. It would leave the case in the chamber any the gun partially out of battery. I used the same ammo in other guns with no problem. I have Bayou bullets in 45 ACP 230 gr from Bayou and they too have that shoulder on them. So i switch to 147 gr Bayou bullets that don't have the shoulder problem went away.

Rrickysee you have an idea. 170gr swc bullets a touch over 1000 fps. They have a lip at the base of the conical portion. Good call. That makes sense actually.

Edited by Kingman

Semi-wad-cutters? I thought everyone knew subcompact Glock .45's and SWCs just don't feed.

I won't even order Bayou's .45 round nose bullets, because I can see the shoulder on them, and fear they won't feed in my Glocks...and I barely ever shoot my 1911.

You're going to need some kind of rounder nose bullet for the 30SF.

230gr FMJ should be fine. I've used PD and Zero.

Most 230gr JHP should work. I've used Zero.

200gr RNFP from Precision work fine.

185gr JHP from PD and Zero can work, but particularly with the Zeros there's narrow OAL sweet spot. Too long, and they won't chamber. Too short, the 30SF won't reliably feed from G21 mags. I rarely use the smaller G30 mags, so I don't know if its an issue with them.

AFAIK, any bullet with an exposed shoulder is not likely to feed reliably in a 30SF.

Seriously? What's this factory ammo you speak of? Oh, that stuff they sell at Walmart for $20 or so a box? I stopped buying factory pistol ammo >6 years ago. I suspect anything they have would work. Preferably not steel cased though.

I have been told repeatedly anything you carry should be factory by several attorneys

True...but you should also run some of that through it to verify reliable function...and I'm not aware of any commonly available factory loaded SWC. I guess you were hoping to break it in with SWC before switching to the good stuff. Glocks don't generally need much in the way of break-in.

I picked up the gun. Was going to the range with my single stack. Happened to have a pike of 45 ammo. Decided to try it out. Didn't buy defensive ammo at first, was just going to run it some

A lot of good advice above regarding SWCs. I also have had this problem in a Gen3 30. I believe one of the causes of this are the rear frame rails are set too low in frame. I have two 21s, a gen 3 and gen 4 that feed every style of bullet I put in them. Compare the height of their rear frame rails (guns on the left of the picture) to the 30 which is on the right of the picture.

C5F17280-ADE4-41DA-AEC5-F9316917D5A7_zps