Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ideal rear sight blade notch width

Puma

I am about to start my next and hopefully best project. I would like recommendations as to what width is best for the rear sight blade ( 110, 125, 140 ) notch/opening and corresponding front sight width. The gun will be utilized for USPSA competition. I have relatively good corrected vision but I am 59 yoa and have tired eyes. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there's any single rear notch width / front sight width ratio that is best for everyone.

I think different shooters prefer different amounts of light on the side.

Well, what are your preferences ? ' Calls Shots', sight radius has nothing to do with rear sight notch width/front sight width. However I am building a 40 caliber 6 inch. I already have a 40 caliber STI Eagle in 6 inch. I am building this one from scratch.

I don't think there's any single rear notch width / front sight width ratio that is best for everyone.

I think different shooters prefer different amounts of light on the side.

what he said...what you dont want is your thought process guessing... "is this what I need to see", as opposed to "knowing what I need to see".

I file enough of the rear notch, so that the feedback I get from the gap between the front blade and the insidie of the rear notch blade is not blurry.

I am about to start my next and hopefully best project. I would like recommendations as to what width is best for the rear sight blade ( 110, 125, 140 ) notch/opening and corresponding front sight width. The gun will be utilized for USPSA competition. I have relatively good corrected vision but I am 59 yoa and have tired eyes. Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I are both a little older than you. Our preference for 1911/2011 with 5" barrel is:

0.110 front width

0.140 rear blade notch.

YMWV

Ralph

Edited by ralphs

Well, what are your preferences ? ' Calls Shots', sight radius has nothing to do with rear sight notch width/front sight width. However I am building a 40 caliber 6 inch. I already have a 40 caliber STI Eagle in 6 inch. I am building this one from scratch.

I beg to differ. I spent over 30 years in the optical industry, and the apparent width of the front sight gets smaller as it gets further away from the viewing point. Consequently, a front sight of .125 may be perfect on a 6" revolver, but would appear too narrow on an 8 3/8" gun for the same amount of light to be visible on each side.

Alan~^~

Theres a very old thread here where our gracious host BEnos made a mathematical parameters in terms of % of the REAR sight width to the FRONT sight width. AFAIR it varies fr. about 70 to 90% limits. You may Search it to be sure.