Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know how many SDB, 550, 650, & 1050 presses have been made?

Dillon Trivia Question for a Friday.

Was talking with some shooters about the various presses and the stats you see from matches where they ask what type of press the shooter uses, and the question came up if anybody knew how many of each type of machine Dillon has manufactured so far.

Nobody had any idea, but of course we all had opinions. ;)

Anybody know what the real numbers are?

Edited by Bamboo

I would think that the 550 leads the list of the most sold Dillion press. I would not have a clue of how many but it was and still is the most poular press in my small circle of shooting freinds. Of course I am a big fan of the 650.

I don't understand why it is important to keep count on how well Mike has done for himself. He earned it and he produces a product people love and buy regardless of what they think of the pricing point.

I would think that the 550 leads the list of the most sold Dillion press. I would not have a clue of how many but it was and still is the most poular press in my small circle of shooting freinds. Of course I am a big fan of the 650.

I don't understand why it is important to keep count on how well Mike has done for himself. He earned it and he produces a product people love and buy regardless of what they think of the pricing point.

I think the OP is just curious as to how many of these great presses have been made over the years. As am I now!

I think it is safe to assume Mike is not hurting and I certainly don't care about that.

Ironically the reloading side of Dillon is not their primary source of revenue. They make far more off of the gun side.

I'm even more curious about this! What else are they into?

Dillon Aero (Miniguns) isn't it?

As for the original question maybe a couple hundred thousand? I have the 550 along with 2 people I know, friend owns a 1050, another owns a 650 and SL900

I figured other companies made those as well. I know they are probably expensive but I am guessing Dillon has sold hundreds of thousands of presses over the years. That's a lot of mini guns.

Not trying to get in anybody's knickers whatsoever, just curious about the numbers.

As mentioned, everybody in the discussion had an opinion that pretty much sounded like you'alls.

My qualitative analysis went like this.... a Metric Scat-ton of 550's followed by a Standard Scat-ton of SDBs, then just a Scat-ton of 650s, with the mighty 1050 filling a mere Scat load sized hold on a rather medium sized boat.

Of course, I could be wrong.

:cheers:

I would wager a guess that Mike made the lions share of his bank roll with the reloading business. Machine guns and aircraft are his passions. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the first Dillon Aero product was the GE Mini Gun modernization conversion. From there branched out into refining and building the M134.

It would just be awesome to work for dillon. I wouldn't even care about discounts. Just the simple pleasure of working in the aero field testing out dillon equipment would be worthwhile. And tinkering with the reloading stuff also

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I dont think dillon aero is the same as dillon precision.

They are sister companies.

I have a gunsmith friend whose former employer was the Dept. of Energy. They buy A LOT of miniguns for their security. He told me about his visit to Dillon many years back. They got to play with the miniguns (Dillon was trying to get a DOE contract), including firing miniguns from helicopters in the AZ desert.

I dont think dillon aero is the same as dillon precision.

They are sister companies.

I have a gunsmith friend whose former employer was the Dept. of Energy. They buy A LOT of miniguns for their security. He told me about his visit to Dillon many years back. They got to play with the miniguns (Dillon was trying to get a DOE contract), including firing miniguns from helicopters in the AZ desert.

All I can say, is that I see Dillon's Huey fly over my house about 1 per week heading Southwest where his private shooting range is. He tests every M134 before they get shipped. An hour later, its heading back. By the way, your tax dollars provide all of the test ammo.

By the way, your tax dollars provide all of the test ammo.

Don't fault the man for creating a product and or service. That's what America is, land of opportunity. He doesn't free load like vast majority of people in this country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't forget to add the 450 into the mix, that was the first one I purchased and converted to a 550 way back in the early 80's. Still using it. Wish I had a dollar for every round that's been loaded on it and it is still my favorite press even though I have several newer versions.