Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Dies

Sure, you can use other manufacturer dies. But why? Recently purchased Dillon 45ACP dies after using two sets of dies from other manufactures. The Dillon dies with the larger flare at entry make loading so much easier and faster. Wish I had purchased Dillon from the onset!

Dillon dies do feed easier because of the flare at the bottom, but that same flare keeps them from sizing as low on the case as most other brands out there.

Dillon seater dies are also a PITA to adjust in very fine amounts due to the course threads. There are many better dies out there that makes adjusting a snap.

Many of us like to use Udies to make sure rounds fit chambers no matter how tight. Also, the Udie makes sure you get great neck tension to prevent set back.

Those are just a few reasons I can think of to use something other than Dillon dies.

The only Dillon I kept was the crimp die.

For those of us that load lead bullets with wax lube, the ability to pull the hitch pin and clean the interior of the die without removing the die body from the toolhead makes the Dillon die superlative and above all other brands. I sold off my others and they don't bring much $ either.

For those of us that load lead bullets with wax lube, the ability to pull the hitch pin and clean the interior of the die without removing the die body from the toolhead makes the Dillon die superlative and above all other brands. I sold off my others and they don't bring much $ either.

Valid point. I just wasn't aware people still shot those things! :cheers:

What he said. Sarge, I shoot CAS competition almost every Saturday some place in Georgia. Between match and practice ammo I shoot about 10,000 rounds of .38sp cast bullets each year. Having the Dillon seater die where you can easily clean it has been a Godsend. I used to load with Lee dies and I was always having to remove the die and scrape out the gunk and then set it all back up again. For my CAS loads I'll stick with the Dillon dies.

Now one thing that interests me is the U-die. I've only been reloading for 3 years and did not know what that was. Yes, Google is my friend...they are undersized (hence the U) decaping dies that resize at the same time. After a little looking around I found them here at Evolution Gun Works.

My question is "If they are undersized a little wouldn't that tend to squeeze the brass a little too much and weaken it? I understand that the Udie is indeed a full length resizing die whereas the Dillon is not but will this die, at least for a straight walled cases like pistol calibers, tend to lessen the number of times you will be able to reload it? In other words.....why should I use a U-die. Its not the money for the die...I just want to understand the why and benefits.

Thanks.

You won't need it loading lead in my opinion. I load jacketed bullets and with some brands of brass with thinner case walls the bullet is not always held tight enough to prevent it from setting back into the case which spikes pressure.

You won't need it loading lead in my opinion. I load jacketed bullets and with some brands of brass with thinner case walls the bullet is not always held tight enough to prevent it from setting back into the case which spikes pressure.

What would be a good die set for a dillon press? I am planning on buying a 550 or a 650. I currently use Lee dies and EGW U Dies but the lee dies are going with my old press. I was just going to buy the Dillon dies since I was already making an order.

What would be a good die set for a dillon press? I am planning on buying a 550 or a 650. I currently use Lee dies and EGW U Dies but the lee dies are going with my old press. I was just going to buy the Dillon dies since I was already making an order.

What caliber? I use Redding for 9mm and Forster for .223 and 300BLK. I am happy with those choices, they work great on my 650. I am sure the Dillon also work quite well for the 650 and cost less.

I am a big fan of the Udie for my own reasons. I think you could get by with buying the Dillon dies and seeing if they work for you and your gun. If the sizer die is not working well enough for your needs then get a LEE or EGW Udie. They are only in the $25-$30 range. Most of the other Dillon dies I changed were for convenience. But to answer your question virtually any brand of Die will work in your press and they are all quite good. Even the lowest priced dies out there, LEE, are exceptional dies and would serve you well.

I just ordered the U die to see if that helps with a feed issue I'm having on my 2 Kimber 45's. I never had feed problems when I loaded them on my SDB. I recently started loading 45 on my 650 with Dillon dies and have 3 point feed jams that occur WAY too often. Those pistols only misfed if I screwed up a round some how. They were as reliable as a 1911 could be. The other thing that I changed was that I used to use the 200 gr LSWC from Georgia Arms. I now cast the LEE 200 gr SWC. The nose profile is a little different. If I have to I guess I'll set the SDB up again and load some up to compare.

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the U die to see if that helps with a feed issue I'm having on my 2 Kimber 45's. I never had feed problems when I loaded them on my SDB. I recently started loading 45 on my 650 with Dillon dies and have 3 point feed jams that occur WAY too often. Those pistols only misfed if I screwed up a round some how. They were as reliable as a 1911 could be. The other thing that I changed was that I used to use the 200 gr LSWC from Georgia Arms. I now cast the LEE 200 gr SWC. The nose profile is a little different. If I have to I guess I'll set the SDB up again and load some up to compare.

Update: It isn't a Dillon die problem or a press problem. I had adjusted the crimp die as per instructions that said just enough to remove the bell so my crimp was right at .471. Well, Wilson and McCormick both recommend a tighter crimp. I crimped to .468 with an OAL of 1.250-1.260 per Wilson Combat and my problems went away. I guess I had a tighter crimp set on my SDB so never had feeding issues. Never used the U die as it is definitely not a cartridge size problem.

I also switched to Wilson ETM 500 mags which work extremely well. They sit a bit higher in the frame and have shorter feed lips so the rounds enter the chamber at a slightly smaller angle. With these two changes I've noticed that I no longer have any bullet setback from feeding. Before, I could chamber a round then eject it and the OAL would be less than original. I don't have that issue any longer.