Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead vs Coated Smoke Test *Video*

2011WRBSTI

So I recently got a test batch of Bayou 180gr bullets to try. I was curious as to how much they would be able to cut down on the smoke that I am dealing with since they have that special green coating. Currently I shoot the following.....

CRP STI Edge 40

Missouri 180gr lead bullet

4.6gr TiteGroup @ 1.160

5.3gr Unique @ 1.160

So I took 2 batches of 10 for TiteGroup and Unique loads. 1 batch of 10 using Missouri and 1 batch of 10 using Bayou for each powder.

There was definitely a difference between lead and Bayou. I didn't expect there to be such a noticeable difference but from the first shot I could tell. Here is a very quick video of the difference that I saw.....Hope you can tell the difference.

Price points:

Missouri IDP#5 - $41 per 500

Bayou 180gr - $50 per 500

Edited by 2011WRBSTI

Honestly no.....Although I wasn't really paying much attention.....I was trying to get the video shot quick since the police were shooting at the ranges beside mine and they started to leave....so I wanted to police their brass :roflol:

Looks like both powders were pretty equal smoke wise.

You must have watched a different video than I did. The Bayou bullets looked much less smokey to me. Of course its VERY early here in Texas......

Yea, there was for sure a difference in smoke between the bullets.

But the powder,(titegroup vs unique), I didn't see any difference.

Looks like both powders were pretty equal smoke wise.

You must have watched a different video than I did. The Bayou bullets looked much less smokey to me. Of course its VERY early here in Texas......

Yea, there was for sure a difference in smoke between the bullets.

But the powder,(titegroup vs unique), I didn't see any difference.

Correct.....there isn't much difference between the two powders when it comes to smoke you have to see / shoot through. Unique doesn't throw as consistent I have found and I am not sure if that is due to the flake style or not but TiteGroup being more of a ball style is way more consistent through my 650. Nothing major of course just a +/- .1 at times. It wont mess up my major loads but still something to note between the two.

All I can get a hold of in the Portland Oregon area seems to be TiteGroup or Unique. Both are shooting well and I dont mind the cleaning. I wish I knew back when I was buying 8lbs jugs of powder that I would be shooting limited....I would have stocked up on powder years ago

• 4 weeks later...

Both Unique and TiteGroup are very smoky with lead in my experience. However, I did notice a good bit of difference between the bullet types used. I had hoped that the coated ones would be even less smoky, but with those powders you only get some improvement I guess. I recently got some SNS coated to try in 9mm and if they do well with some of the powders I have I will also try their 180grn 40cal stuff. Personally I have, but do not use either TiteGroup or Unique much anymore, preferring Silhouette and some of the other more medium burners that run cooler and with less smoke even with bare lead bullets. Longshot is way less smoky than either of the powders you tested above, and in fact is pretty good with lead overall as is Silhouette. WSF is also pretty good with lead bullets, but does not have as great a load range as Silhouette or Longshot. I am also in the Portland OR area. Do you ever shoot out at Tri County?

Edited by Justsomeguy

Both Unique and TiteGroup are very smoky with lead in my experience. However, I did notice a good bit of difference between the bullet types used. I had hoped that the coated ones would be even less smoky, but with those powders you only get some improvement I guess. I recently got some SNS coated to try in 9mm and if they do well with some of the powders I have I will also try their 180grn 40cal stuff. Personally I have, but do not use either TiteGroup or Unique much anymore, preferring Silhouette and some of the other more medium burners that run cooler and with less smoke even with bare lead bullets. Longshot is way less smoky than either of the powders you tested above, and in fact is pretty good with lead overall as is Silhouette. WSF is also pretty good with lead bullets, but does not have as great a load range as Silhouette or Longshot. I am also in the Portland OR area. Do you ever shoot out at Tri County?

Yes I do shoot at TC.....I will actually be there Tuesday working on getting used to a new holster in preparation for the memorial 3 gun shoot in August. Never shot 3gun and this is a new holster to me so I am going to work on some drills to go along with my dry draws I do at home. I still have a hard time finding any other powders around here besides the two tested and they work for now but I do hope that someday I will get into the "better" "more ideal" powders as some people refer to them. But until then I have enough unique and titegroup to get me by for now.

The issue with Titegroup is the high nitrocelluose content. It burns really hot when you get a high volume charge in the case. I load Lead 122 lfp with 3.6 TG in 9mm for practice loads for bianchi cup. My caster just went to the same Bayou coating and it is quite a bit difference. If you can use a little faster powder, like WST, it will give less smoke.

DougC

@2011... Hmmm... I may myself be at TC this next Tuesday weather permitting, though Wednesday and Thursday look more promising from a weather aspect. Perhaps if you see an old guy with a beard hunkered down and shooting over a chrono you might walk up and say hello.

Good luck with your new holster and the 3gun thing. I don't compete anymore 'cause running around and crawling through tubes as they are now prone to do might leave me stuck in there. I guess everything has to be more and more "extreme" nowadays or people don't feel challenged.

@2011... Hmmm... I may myself be at TC this next Tuesday weather permitting, though Wednesday and Thursday look more promising from a weather aspect. Perhaps if you see an old guy with a beard hunkered down and shooting over a chrono you might walk up and say hello.

Good luck with your new holster and the 3gun thing. I don't compete anymore 'cause running around and crawling through tubes as they are now prone to do might leave me stuck in there. I guess everything has to be more and more "extreme" nowadays or people don't feel challenged.

I will definitely say hi. If you see a lifted Grey Tacoma with a pink Toyota Logo in the grill......ya that'll be me and my wife :closedeyes: ( wife's truck I swear ) Myself along with the man making my holsters as well as a fellow shooter that has been shooting competitions since well......since my wife was born will be in a bay working on.....what we think of as skills. I'm not so old but with my military injuries I don't quite feel my age that's for sure and although I do enjoy the "competitions" some of the more physical activities do make walking the next day very tough. I am sure that if I saw you.....I would notice that I have seen you before. We are there quite often and my wife is the only shooter around here rocking a STI Edge with pink accents and pink mag pouches.

@2011... I hope to make it out there both Tuesday and Thursday. I just put some Dawson FO sights on one of my XD Service sized guns and need to test those and set them for the "current load" so that will be Tuesday most likely. Thursday I have a friend who is a new shooter but goes out of town a lot, so he is planning on being around Thursday and we will be out there again.

I'll uhmm... be looking for the pink stuff you mentioned. Don't shoot me for looking at your wife!