Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New stock 3 - need help

Onagoth

Well..finally got my stock 3 out to the range today.

had a problem particularly with the double action. When I pulled the trigger in all the way, it didn't release the hammer, at least not right away. Figured it was just a problem with the trigger stop pin but weird thing is that it never happened during dry firing. I backed it out a bit but I can now feel a tiny nub protruding on my trigger finger. This leaves me wondering what the point of this screw/stop pin is? Not sure if I can remove it any stay production legal for IPSC.

Second was the horrible stacking in double action. The double action must easily be over 10 lbs....and it is very hard to predict exactly when the trigger will break. I had already stripped the pistol down and its obviously had a trigger job done, but this doesnt seem to help the trigger much. The single action is good at 2.25# with a somewhat short reset but the DA sucks.

Lastly is the front sight. Near as I can tell its a dawson, one of the older ones with the set screw in the wrong place. Will locktite alone keep this sight in place? I don't really want to worry about losing it which is almost what happened today....maybe I'm better off upgrading to the xtreme front sight? I've read the new dawson ones have changed the location of the set screw but the website is showing out of stock on almost all of them. (would prefer a 100 x 160, the same as what it is now).

Any thoughts and tips you have to help?

Thanks

Edited by Onagoth

There are different length factory screws m3 I believe you can install on your trigger shoe in case you think you get bumped in open for removing the existing one { I doubt this will happen }

This problem could also be an indication that during the trigger job some material was removed from the sear leg that engages the trigger bow trying to shorten the reset if so a new sear is not a big job to install.

Look at the hammer strut hope yours is the new design this will somehow leave more room for the spring to compress and help with stacking.

Dawson makes very good front sights for Tanfoglios longer than factory and extreme sights, they typically can make one in a short time even if they are out of stock .

Edited by babo_al

I bought the last Dawson 100 x 160 sight they had in stock... the new ones are much, much better than the old ones with the revised set screw location. The set screw is still too small, but at least it goes in the factory hole, and it's super easy to install. They are probably working on a batch since they have been out since last week.

Edited by pivoproseem

What weight of hammer spring are you running? Also I've seen many Wolff hammer springs that are actually too long, and I've had to cut a coil off. If your hammer spring is a tiny bit too long, it could cause extra stacking.

Also could you take a pic of the sear leg that hits the trigger bar? It seems like the sear was modified incorrectly.

Yeah...I will take some pics...Not sure what hammer spring is in there, bought it used and I assume its factory.

Another bigger problem I just noticed is the safety. Right now, when the safety is engaged, it stops the hammer from dropping....but, if you mash the trigger with the safety engaged, it slips slightly downwards. If you then disengage the safety the hammer drops.

Well the stock 3 does not come with that type hammer , so the hammer is replaced ether with an xtreme or just the regular delta hammer.{ cant tell from the pictures }

You will never know if the safety fitting has been done before or after the new hammer replacement this is important cuz different model hammers engage sear in different angles and they affect the relation of the sear leg to the safety notch. The way it is now you may fail the safety check on a big match. But the good news is that almost all can be fixed by getting new parts. Since you are taking pictures hope some detailed sear picture and safety pictures could help create an idea of the "work"done. { hopefully by now you know how to take the sear apart from the sear cage}

Edited by babo_al

Yep...It is the delta hammer that's been installed. They probably never noticed the problem with the safety since this gun was primarily for ipsc.

Which leg of the sear would actuqlly be causing this problem? The top one? It seems odd that the hammer could drop when its disengaged.

At this point I am not sure if the it was the top sear leg or the safety notch from the picture the safety notch looks that had some work done so it may be that he removed material from it and not from the sear, look under the top sear leg to see if that was modified if not and than you change whatever was modified or both ...

Edited by babo_al

Appreciate all the help guys. As much as it sucks to put back together, I took apart the sear assembly to get a good pic of it. I also took some over-exposed photos of the safety to show how it was 'adjusted'. It almost looks like it was peened somehow...

I still don't quite understand how rotating the safety causes the hammer to fall. Nothing should cause the hammer to fall except the trigger right?

004_zps1bf04eec.jpg

019_zpsc3b80ece.jpg

020_zpsa249fa25.jpg

hmmmm....I wonder if its the safety detent that is wrong.

As I said above, when mashing the trigger with the safety on, the safety drops a tiny bit. It doesn't dis-engage, but it lowers slightly. If the detent spring is crap, then it could cause the safety to fall out of position?

Just speculating, I am not very familiar with this gun yet.

^ Yes, that's my understanding. The underside leg is for reset.

Just checked the safety detent, I don't think its that. I can only think of two other things.

1) Surface imperfection on the safety (where its peened) drags on the sear leg when the safety is disengaged. It does this just enough to cause the hammer to drop.

2) The part of the sear that engages the hammer in single action is rounded off too much, it doesn't reliably stop the hammer from falling once the safety is disengaged.

025_zps467ebfa0.jpg

026_zps3fc6a3b3.jpg

So my diagnosis is that the safety looks like the block has been modified. The block that rotates in towards the sear should be square so that pressure on it is directed towards the post the safety pivots on. If you modify this block to "fit" your safety (which I'm against) then you have the potential to make it not square any more and then the pressure from the safety leg of the sear will cause the safety to rotate (as you are seeing). A properly fit safety won't move even WITHOUT the detent in.

As for the firing when the safety is turned off, I believe (as you have mentioned) that it is due to a rounded off sear. Which was probably caused because the overtravel was set too tight. The loose safety to sear fit allows the sear to "creep" up partially in the hammer hooks, but the safety is keeping the sear from disengaging all the way. So when you click the safety off, the sear can move freely and will drop the hammer.

Actually looking at your last pics I can see that sear face is in horrible shape. It looks severely rounded off.

Also the leg that contacts the trigger bar looks too short. Hard to say if it is, but it looks shorter than I would run.