Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMR SR7625 and 180gr bullets

dpollard

I was able to pick up a pound of IMR SR 7625 today and have the ability to buy a few more pounds. Before doing so I wanted to check and see how this powder is in the .40S&W using 180gr moly coated lead bullets.

Do any of you have experience with this powder and bullet combo? I need to hit major power factor for USPSA. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat except I have 8lbs. I'm loading at 1.18 oal and there is no data for that oal.

I'm assuming you haven't had a chance to load and chrono it? I've found several load recipes via Google search but you never know on those. I have some load date in my Lee book but for jacketed bullets. I don't recall if you're supposed to use less or more powder for moly-coated lead bullets, if any change at all...

I'm not near my book, but I worked up a load for 7625 for major .40, I loaded all the way up to 6.5gr and it still wouldn't make major out my 12 1/2# sprung 2011 Lim gun. Gave up and went to TG as my match load. 7625 is still my go-to powder for ANYTHING minor PF no matter the caliber.

Think I've heard of a lot of people using this for open guns, slower powder real blasty from what I hear, haven't heard of anybody using it for lim major.

Is this considered a slower burning powder? Seems like it's a relatively fast burning powder to me, according to this chart: http://www.frfrogspad.com/burnrate.htm Not discounting what you're saying, just trying to learn.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have the ability to buy an #8 jug of this locally, and was wondering a similar question. I am a fairly new reloader so I want a safe load, would you consider this to be a pretty forgiving/safe powder to use?

I am currently using IMR 700x and hate it, it meters terribly and is smoky as all hell with 180 gr cast lead.

Is this going to be less smoky than the 700X? Is it fairly soft for limited?

I'm in the same boat except I have 8lbs. I'm loading at 1.18 oal and there is no data for that oal.

I'm assuming you haven't had a chance to load and chrono it? I've found several load recipes via Google search but you never know on those. I have some load date in my Lee book but for jacketed bullets. I don't recall if you're supposed to use less or more powder for moly-coated lead bullets, if any change at all...

Have either of you guys done any loads yet to try it out? I would appreciate hearing your first hand experience.

I did a few searches on here and saw people loading it in everything from shotguns to anything minor to open guns... it seems versitile which I like. I would much rather be able to just stock one powder for 9 minor, 40 minor, 40 major, 45 (in the future) and 9 minor (again, in the future).

Sorry for all the questions!

So I have the ability to buy an #8 jug of this locally, and was wondering a similar question. I am a fairly new reloader so I want a safe load, would you consider this to be a pretty forgiving/safe powder to use?

I am currently using IMR 700x and hate it, it meters terribly and is smoky as all hell with 180 gr cast lead.

Is this going to be less smoky than the 700X? Is it fairly soft for limited?

Have either of you guys done any loads yet to try it out? I would appreciate hearing your first hand experience.

I did a few searches on here and saw people loading it in everything from shotguns to anything minor to open guns... it seems versitile which I like. I would much rather be able to just stock one powder for 9 minor, 40 minor, 40 major, 45 (in the future) and 9 minor (again, in the future).

Sorry for all the questions!

I found a load with it that I am happy with. It is running about 173 power factor. I don't notice any difference with this load than with my load using Power Pistol.

Thanks for getting back dpollard. I have heard that Power Pistol is really loud and a lot of muzzle flash, is the 7625 the same? What is your recipe?

I am shooting a G35, just btw.

Thanks!

I'm using 5.7 grains, which is max in my load book. There was no load data published in my book for lead bullets so I took the jacketed data and dropped it 10% (both minimum listed and maximum listed) I worked up to 5.7 grains this with a chrono starting around 4.2 grains. I plan to back it off a bit to get a little lower on the power factor.

I find it to be a bit softer than Power Pistol. Never really notice muzzle flash with either powder.

Okay thanks! That's good to know, I had never thought of backing both the high and low numbers down. In the past when I was working up loads I always just did 10% off the maximum but it makes sense to be able to go lower too since lead runs faster. Thanks again!

I have used it a lot in 9mm and because it was so well behaved I decided to try it for .40 minor. Shocker! I took it down below 130 PF and found it be harsh and very loud. The lightest load with a 180 that would function my gun was 4.2 grains. It was very accurate but I don't think I would want to shoot a match with it in .40. I would be interested in what you find, I am comparing the recoil impulse to e3, Clays and N320. I guess I have been spoiled by these.

Edited by bowenbuilt

• 1 month later...

I just did a USPSA match with 40 minor, using 4.1 gr of 7625 and 200gr plated FP heads pf:139 - no problems at all. 4.75"bbl 8lb main, 13lb hamer.

Also tested 4.7gr with 200gr, got pf:172. This powder behaves more consistently at fuller loads - less fluctuation.

Very clean. With my gun, the minor load is actually softer than my 124gr 9mm - same powder.

Buy all you can and sell it to me.

I use 4.4 grns of 7625 with a 200grn Bayou Bullet and easily make major in my Glock 35. 4.2 also make major, but only by 30 - 40 fps. Very good shooting, soft and accurate. Probably will end up with 4.3 grns just to split the difference.

• 4 weeks later...