Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I get Bushmaster aluminum handguard off

wooddog

The reason I am taking it off is that the bolt will not go into battery (think a blown primer is jammed in the bolt) I cannot take it apart. Tried from rear, took off everything including recoil spring tube, NO Go. Looks like only way is to remove barrel but ... hand guard is stopping me.

^. That sounds like what I'd try. You know I have one on on of my guns, but it can't remember if its one piece or two. But them I used it on one upper for years where it wasn't even tight, the gas tube was the only thing keeping it on.

Did this happen while you were shooting? (Just want to be sure it's not an oopsie with the firing pin installation and the cam pin isn't just out of place.)

I have a similar handguard... it is one piece and just threads on. Mine came loose once, and I could twist it slightly back and forth until it was stopped by the gas tube. Even though it was only slightly loose, it destroyed accuracy until I got it tightened back down.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you open the pins holding lower and upper together ? This way you could separate lower and upper.

You should use a upper receiver clamp to prevent destroying it. If you just use brute force on then free float tube you might bend and destroy the upper.