Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whatever you do...

benos

Pat, I seldom shoot any of the local matches with 32 round complicated field courses. As a matter of fact, the reliance on huge round count stages to get more rounds fired in a match is detrimental to the development of most shooters skillsets. More short courses would give you more starts and resets and opportunities to more accurately identify a shooters weaknesses. Instead we walk of a stage and say, I need to work on my speed, or my accuracy. It all gets lost in the complication of a very involved cof. Not enough pure shooting in most matches anymore.... Hello darkness my old friend......

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all good ,until its not. I rush , go faster , try , care ,you name it. You can feel the edge ,and sometimes you just think you can. I have had moments where I was are flying through a stage and for some reason ( I do it after I drop a shot or I relize I'm just too slow) my mind says rush and all of a sudden I'm in warp drive. I still see everything I still call my shots ,but it's perfect( relatively speaking) Its controlled chaos. Other times it's just chaos. It resembles luck but you feel, see and know the difference.

How you find it doesn't matter. If you can control it ,control it. I have to let it happen ,as soon as try to control it it slips through my grasp ( or explodes in my hand ). I have no doubt great shooters can control it at will.

This is a great thread it's like listening to Leonardo and Michelangelo discuss art ( not the TMT ).

I almost feel like I should just keep my mouth shut and listen.

BE and TGO podcast ? If it's already happened some one send me a link please!

Not enough pure shooting in most matches anymore.... Hello darkness my old friend......

So true... The biggest thing I miss from shooting in Europe for all those years was those IPSC speed-shoots, example; Four poppers, either one will activate 2 drop turners alongside a static target, blast down the four poppers, mandatory reload and engage the static and two drop-turners before they disappear. No margin for error, every action has to be performed flawlessly in order to maximize the number of points. If you bobble that reload, you just kissed 20 points good-bye...

This is why I like covering the Single-Stack match, to me it's the purest form of practical pistol shooting. I just wish they moved it to Colorado cos it's a bitch of a drive....

Not enough pure shooting in most matches anymore.... Hello darkness my old friend......

So true... The biggest thing I miss from shooting in Europe for all those years was those IPSC speed-shoots, example; Four poppers, either one will activate 2 drop turners alongside a static target, blast down the four poppers, mandatory reload and engage the static and two drop-turners before they disappear. No margin for error, every action has to be performed flawlessly in order to maximize the number of points. If you bobble that reload, you just kissed 20 points good-bye...

This is why I like covering the Single-Stack match, to me it's the purest form of practical pistol shooting. I just wish they moved it to Colorado cos it's a bitch of a drive....

Same reason I like it. Was funny how I lost the SS on a measly 12 shot speed shoot and won the revo match because of them! OK, maybe not funny....

As I watched on Liveshots. Two men, a man overweight and 54 (I think)TGO and Mr. Wolfe, a young man, (in good shape) age is a ?, shoot stage 13. I wonder to myself? How does Rob win? Even when things don't go as planed.

I think I know, It's a passion to be the best and practice. Maybe, it is that Rob is always in the moment? Be it shooting or lunch!

My hat is off for you Sir! Nice shooting!

I don't remember which time it was but at one of those you shot a record on 5 to go that lasted a long time... I remember another one where you picked me up at work in PHX after I got off working graveyard and we drove to the steel challenge. Some kind of rear wheel drive Datsun, maybe 510, 610, 710, 810 ??? It was in the AM and I was exhausted but we still talked shooting all the way over. I still owe you for my part of the gas....

That 5 To Go record - I shot that at a Steel Challenge match. It was a 12.01. It stood for quite a few years. I think it was The Jet that took me down eventually.

And more than likely, that was the old '69 510 Datsun, that I towed to AZ from OH, with a towbar I welded /rigged on the back of the '66 Chevy Pickup. Man, I wish I had some pics of that rig, heading west...

:cheers:

Pat, I seldom shoot any of the local matches with 32 round complicated field courses. As a matter of fact, the reliance on huge round count stages to get more rounds fired in a match is detrimental to the development of most shooters skillsets. More short courses would give you more starts and resets and opportunities to more accurately identify a shooters weaknesses. Instead we walk of a stage and say, I need to work on my speed, or my accuracy. It all gets lost in the complication of a very involved cof. Not enough pure shooting in most matches anymore.... Hello darkness my old friend......

I've been doing the stages for my club, it's the club that hosted the '92 North Americans, and I specifically avoid doing 32 round stages unless I really feel I can make it challenging.....which is not easy...I prefer to think up a challnging stage and fit only the targets needed. Too many base their stage design on making max round count and the stages have no options and limit the targets to easy close arrays because thats the only way to fit enough targets. Freaked some people out with a one shot stage..that was amusing.

"Fast is smooth ... Smooth is Fast "

its what I repeat in my mind before the buzzer... then I try my best not to screw up after the buzzer

wow Legends on this thread...

Edited by RippSpeed

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome thread. I always relate shooting guns to shooting basketballs. Watching Russell Westbrook the last couple of weeks has been awesome-a revelation of unbelievable skills and execution. Really changing the game. Very much like shooting-quick movements, sometimes a little out of position, under it is lots of practice of basic skills and then just pulling the trigger. Keeping your eye on the rim is kind of like keeping the gun on the target-not really thinking about it but you know it and you know when its good. Why guys know when to follow their shot-something was off. Probably spent too much time on basketball as a kid and into my twenties, but it sure is a way to get away to a place. Kind of like practicing skills on a range.