Top Posters In This Topic

Great advice.

I tell myself that every match ...

And it always works ...

Until the damn buzzer goes off :surprise:

But, when I do remain calm, and don't rush,

I shoot a LOT better. :bow:

Exactly!

For me, it is a difficult place to find, and maintain.

I have been having issues at matches where I am getting D's and M's being in a hurry so this AM I went to the basement airsoft range and did some practice on being calm and not in a hurry. I found that visualizing the sight picture on each target helped a lot. I was visualizing where I wanted to shoot the target, but today I visualized how I want the sights to look on the target when I pull the trigger. Having that in my head helped me be calm and not in a hurry while shooting.

Add to your visualization, the feeling of being calm and composed while you are shoooting.

I think most IPSC shooters naturally tend to be "rushers." Maybe that is why we are drawn to that style of shooting.

Once you have mastered all the skill sets, the tendency to rush can be your greatest enemy. And with it, your greatest lesson.

A little bit ago, I was moving some clothes from the washer to the dryer, as the kitchen sink was filling up with water to defrost a piece of salmon. Right as I caught myself rushing, I watched the words form in my mind, You can only shoot as fast as you can shoot. And by "shoot," I mean know you are getting your hits as you are shooting each shot.

My wife would probably appreciate it if I did more washer/dryer skill drills.

I have a lot of fun at my club level shoots and when I started last year I relied on rushing. Doesn't take long to hit that wildly inconsistent ceiling. Now I'm all about developing skills and working on the mental game. I had to strip all preconceived notions and limitations I started with and slow down. You can only shoot as fast as you can shoot was one of the first notes I took. For the most part I'm now able to calm down and be very deliberate in what I do when the timer goes off. It's an amazing feeling when you let the subconscious do it's thing and you are literally observing yourself as you shoot. I consider that a successful match. However, I still slip in the occasional string where I rush and play with bad habits but those are getting rarer and rarer. When I do rush that sight picture is the first thing to go.

That was good. It reminded me of a Maku mozo! that's going out in few days:

The sphere of perfect communion is clear everywhere,

the pitcher of water is alive, the willow eyes are green,

there are also cold crags and early green bamboo,

why are people these days in such a great hurry?

-Daio

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When you are shooting don't you want to shoot the CoF as fast as possible while getting all your hits? I am some what peplexed by "rush".

Someone could see you shooting a CoF and believe your are rushing and someone else could be watching at the same time and perceive you to be shooting slowly. So what determines rush?

A little bit ago, I was moving some clothes from the washer to the dryer, as the kitchen sink was filling up with water to defrost a piece of salmon. Right as I caught myself rushing, I watched the words form in my mind, You can only shoot as fast as you can shoot. And by "shoot," I mean know you are getting your hits as you are shooting each shot.

But that speed can increase, if you try to go faster, correct?

When you are shooting don't you want to shoot the CoF as fast as possible while getting all your hits? I am some what peplexed by "rush".

Someone could see you shooting a CoF and believe your are rushing and someone else could be watching at the same time and perceive you to be shooting slowly. So what determines rush?

Only you can know if you are rushing. Are you calmly watching everything that is happening, or are you in a hurry to get finished?

But that speed can increase, if you try to go faster, correct?

Trying to go faster might be the worst thing you can ever do.

You shold not be trying to shoot any faster than you can know you are getting your hits.

No, no, no .... You never want to go as fast as you can while trying to get alphas.

Instead, the goal is to shoot all Alphas as fast as you can ...

There is a huge difference between these two ideas ...

The goal is to shoot all Alphas as fast as you can ...

It is that simple.

There is no benefit to trying to shoot faster, if you don't know you are shooting A's.

When you are learning a new skill, the most important thing is your approach. If trying is a part of that approach, because uncertainty is at the root of trying, you will fail.

To succeed, the quality of knowing must accompany your actions.

The first thing you must train yourself to know - for each shot you fire - you must know where it hit the target, without looking at the target. (Called calling the shot.)

So the goal comes down to shooting A's as quickly as you can know you are doing that.

Footnote: While doing anything, replace "trying" with "I am going to...". And see what happens.

Thanks for the responses. I was a professional kickboxer earlier in life and have recently picked this sport up. I used meditation more than "trying" the more proficient I became in martial arts. . So your responses have helped me to make a connection between the two. Now to learn to visualize shooting the way I did in the martial arts and I will progress to the next plateau.

Thanks again

I agree with always calling your shots. However ,for myself I find that alternating my emphasis between shooting alphas and speed helps. I shoot one match focusing on getting alphas and no penaltys then the next week I kick it up and shoot for center of brown at top speed ( lots of rushing ! ). Then the next week/ match I slow it back down and shoot for alphas again.

Sometimes I feel like a chicken running around with no head when I'm moving as fast as is safe. When I slow down again it's not much slower ,and it feels calm, quiet and easy.

I did get beat by a GM shooting production minor this last week ( I was shooting open major ). So .... He was definetly shooting all alphas with no rushing.

I almost deleted this post ... I think I just talked my self into shooting all alphas with no rushing. How did it go ? Calm , deliberate and confident.

Whatever you do

Don't

be in a hurry.

Don't rush.

Not even a little bit.

Calm

Confident and

Deliberate -

Succeed!

If I am too relaxed I am not trying. It doesn't do me any good to place any emphasis on feeling relaxed or clam. My attention wanders from the cof and I do not execute very sharply. I require, in order to feel that I am focused, a certain nervous energy, like I'm on the starting line of a race waiting for the starter gun to fire signaling it is now time to start my plan.

I no longer focus on or am even too aware of whether I am calm or not. I no longer care. I TRY to shoot with visual recognition of, but very little memory of the indicators telling me where on the target the gun is pointed. I use the word try carefully in the last sentence as it states that I understand I cannot always do what it is I wish, but I am not afraid to know that.

When things go well, and they do for the most part, I am rushing and hurrying. I'm not trying not to. I know and can't avoid recognizing that when I want to go fast, I have to cause that to happen. I don't sit back and watch it, I make it happen. I am at ease with this process and don't need to avoid knowing externally that I am trying.

The wanting to perform well is my motivation to push the control to the fine edge that allows higher performance. But, Although I do not plan or hope for failure, experience has taught me that since I am not as good a shot as I'd like to be, I am capable of not executing to the level I'd like. Therefore accepting that I can fail reduces the fear that it may happen. Then I just try to shoot as fast and as accurately as is possible. Not one or the other.

We sometimes clutter our minds at critical points of a performance with conscious input which is not conducive to retaining the high level focus needed to execute. Most of this is pre-programmed before the buzzer goes off. Sometimes at the match, sometimes at the practice range.

If my plan is good and I am comfortable before the buzzer, I do not worry if I'm relaxed or calm, I'm more worried about what's for lunch......

If my plan is good and I am comfortable before the buzzer, I do not worry if I'm relaxed or calm, I'm more worried about what's for lunch...... -TGO

Sir, i would like to ask permission to add this to my sig line.

Tell me the last match where someone placed in the top 10 by shooting all Alpha's?

To a point, speed is more important than accuracy. Misses are unacceptable but Nils managed to have a few and still win the SSN.

How can you not hurry or rush in a sport who's most important scored component is speed?

I'm just a lowly B shooter but if I took this advice, I'd still be a lowly C shooter. There is lots I don't know. But I know guys who win move and shoot very fast. And it seems to me you don't get faster without trying to get faster.