Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Great match, screwed the classifier

RobertLx

I had a great 4 stage match Sunday. I had 2 stage wins and one 2nd place stage. I had 12th place on the classifier stage. Totally blew it. Ended up in 3rd because of it. It was the El Prez and I think my HF was 2.8 or so. It was like I was concentrating so much on going fast, that i didnt use my sights and I just blasted away. I always do crappy with classifiers, but pretty good with field courses.

Why is this so? I used to think that folks just sandbagged. But after shooting awhile I figured that for every 10 classifiers I shoot, I might get 3 that I perform mediocre on and flub the rest. Murphy is alive and well...

• 9 months later...

I'm the same way and [although my squad mates haven't busted my chops for it].... I know they're thinking it (((((((Sandbagger))))))). I recently did as HP Jack suggested - slow down and concentrate on that funny bump on the top of the pistol and I did worse! It's like I get to the classifiers and load "no shoot seeking bullets" arrgh! No chance any Zen has rubbed off on me in these forums.....

The fact that you are trying to go fast is probably what's killing you. (but you already knew that) And the attitude that you always do bad on classifiers isn't helping either.

Don't try to "slow down and get your hits" either. You probably need to relax and call your shots. Maybe set up a classifier and run it as a drill. See what it takes to get the HF you need get the next classification. This will help you see what it takes to do it. You may be trying to go faster than you need to.

If you're good at running around shooting on the move in field courses, then standing still and shooting a classifier should be easy.

As soon as I quit thinking "This is the classifier, I have to do good/go fast", I started shooting much more consistently and ended up with better scores all around, both in the match and on my classifier scores.

Just shoot your skill level. Go as fast as you can and still get the hits you need. As you improve overall, your classifier scores will improve with it.

• 7 months later...

My last match I was the first one up and my first stage was the classifier. AA, AC ANoshoot .... Reload. AD, CD AD. That no shoot got into my head and it wasn't a hey is that in the perf no shoot.... It was I'm goin Alpha on your a** no shoot....

Only no shoot of the day but man was it in my head, came in 3rd for the match, missed second by 14 points.