Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

picking a barrel for a 3gun

JAB

Hi there im new to this and in looking at a DPMS 16" light contour barrel id like to here what you think of this barrel.

Edited by JAB

There are a bunch of threads in the Multigun section regarding the best barrels for 3 gun.

I have searched and read a lot, so here is what I came up with.

18-20 inch barrels with rifle length gas systems and not a bull barrel seem to be what most people think are the best.

If you are only going to shoot 200 yards or less, then a 16inch will do, but you will loose out on the softer impulse of the rifle length gas system.

If you already have a gun, use that one for a few matches until you figure out what other people use and if it is an advantage to what you use.

It all comes down to if you want, need, or are a gear junky.

Randy

Not what you asked but I recommend the Nordic 18 inch barrel. Shoots great and priced great.

This. ^^^^^

Or a Criterion hybrid profile at Brownells (they seem to have the exclusive on 223 Criterion barrel sales).

At the moment, it looks like only the Nordic 18" is in stock at the Nordic Components web site. The Criterion barrels sold through Brownells are back ordered, currently.

So, we're back to the Nordic 18" since it is in stock. A great choice. I have an 18" Criterion and a 16" Nordic. Both brands are amazing.