Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun fitting guides

prairiefire

Outside of trying out several guns for fit and then firing them are there any resources to help a person decide on which gun or related guns might be worth the time and money to try? The reason I ask is twofold: I live in a rural area - everyone here shoots a glock or a Kimber - no ranges that rent guns within 150 miles of me. I don't shoot competitively so no advantage there in seeing other shooters firearms. Lastly, I have bought and sold way too many guns - always looking for the next bes thing. I do sports medicine and we have ways of assessing feet for best foot wear - there needs to be a "gun fitting" store!

Do you have a local gun store that carries a wide variety of guns? Guns are all personal preference. Some people will say they love the 1911 platform others like glock or m&p's. I love the 1911 and now the 2011 platform as it just feels right in the hands. I'm sure that doesn't help greatly as there is really no next best thing, just the next best thing for you.

Don't know of any gun fitting guidelines. Fit/feel is subjective. Glock and S&W MP and others have replaceable backstraps and others have replaceable grip panels as well. The combinations are endless almost. A gun store or show will be the best place to feel/hold a number of different pistols but that may not be any help. Also, most makers have full size, compact and sub-compact models. The Glock 19 doesn't fit me but the 17 does...you never know! Also, feel may be OK until you shoot it....then, not so good. I know this doesn't help much but it is the only answer I can give.

Richard