Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stage design - start with prop phone in hand, reading out loud

had some thoughts for a stage at our local club's quarterly rifle match, keen to get some feedback on

1) legal for multigun rules?

2) legal or not - dumb idea or good practice?

our club runs rifle matches every quarter but we have limited facilities - most of the ranges at the club are pistol bays so maximum distance in any given stage is about 50 yards. since we don't have the distance for long shots, have to do other things with stage design to add some challenge otherwise they all devolve into short range hoser stages (which i do think are fun, but will get boring if that's all you have).

proposed stage:

start seated at a table with a prop telephone in hand. rifle is resting on the table, unloaded with magazine lying next to it. taped to the top of the table is a (large print) copy of the Declaration of Independance. At the make ready command, shooter will perform final check of their rifle and magazine to and then, once shooter is ready, shooter will begin reading the document out loud into the telephone. start timer is set to random and at the sound of the buzzer, shooter will pick up their rifle, load it, and engage targets as they become visible.

objective:

wanted to do something that would intentionally deprive shooter of their opportunity to focus solely on their shooting plan just before the start buzzer. Shooter will have all the time they want once they are seated to review their shooting plan, get their thoughts together etc, but once you say you are ready, you then have to concentrate (at least a little bit) on holding a phone in your hand and reading something into it out loud. then, when the buzzer sounds, you need to get your head back into the game and remember what your shooting plan was and execute it.

thoughts?

Edited by jaredr

At an IDPA state level match, I've done a stage where you were reshelving books at the library when the Bad Guys show up. So, after the "Standby", you had to be putting books up on a shelf with your strong hand. That was a decent stage and the same basic concept.

We had a start (IDPA) with the gun submerged in 6" of ice water... bottom of a big cooler.

You should see the COOL spray of water off the gun with the first shot!

I hope they provided a Glock as a stage gun, or at least warned people in advance. My CDP gun is not going in the bottom of a cooler. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We had a local pistol match years ago where you started facing uprange standing in front of a grill, with oven mits on both hands. New use for BBQ guns!

A local club had a stage where you had to be in the middle of changing a tire on a car, literally on your knees and turning a tire iron.

the Declaration of Independance.

thoughts?

If this is mostly for fun, if they're going to read out loud it would be cooler if you found ridiculous passages in various books, bookmark and highlight them. Or, even children's books, have them read Dr. Seuss or something. :) Surely that would crack a few more smiles.

I shot a stage last year where the premise was that you were in a shower. You couldn't have any mags on your body, because you're "naked". The stage description did say that clothes were optional but you needed to check with your squad mates first.

Notice the crude spray paint shower head in the starting area.