Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun holster - Glock 34

I am looking at retention holsters again after the 3GN regional match. There were 2 stages that included running from one bay to another in pretty much the exact same distance, curve etc. One stage you did this run AFTER dumping your pistol and on the other stage you did the run with the pistol holstered. I felt far quicker and more secure running regular with no pistol to worry about than with one had on the gun worrying it would pop out on the run. Made a difference in my mind if nothing else, and yes I had the friction retention cranked down on my holster.

Also, everyone talks about the pistol when running. What about props or other guns. In those cases, no matter how much friction you have it might not be enough. I got to watch a loaded Glock spin 2 times over with the muzzle flashing me on each spin when a shooter caught the rear sight with his nice soft recoil pad on a shotgun. You could see the marks on the pad when we looked at it, I doubt anything that was not positive retention would have held that pistol in the holster.

I have a Safariland ALS with a 1.5" drop attachment, and a G-Code holster. I use the ALS more often because the retention system is more natural and I like the drop. Someone mentioned drop attachments causing the pistol to bounce around during movement, but this Safariland does not do that to me. It stays in place, even while I'm running I don't notice it bouncing around at all (unlike when I used a Blade-Tech DOH).

I would recomend a bladetech WRS level 2 holster because of the retention. If you starting with your pistol put the hood down and it's like a regular retention holster. If you have to run, put the hood up and there is no way that the pistol will fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, I picked up the Ready Tactical 3 Gun Holster and am very impressed with it so far. Fit and finish are great. It really fits tight on my CR Speed belt. I have run it at a few USPSA matches and do not notice the higher cut of the holster affecting my draw at all. Put a loaded magazine in the gun (empty chamber), put the gun in the holster and shook VERY vigorously and it did not come out. I also put the belt on then and jumped around, moved around, same deal. I feel pretty confident the gun will stay in. Still thinking about a retention holster though for the near future.

Thanks for all the help!

+1 on the Safariland ALS. I just got this holster switching from a Blackhawk serpa. On the very first draw using the ALS I had to look twice just to make sure that the retention was actually there because the draw is so intuitive I didn't even realize that it was there when I drew! Love this holster.

Ok. Link works.

It's the bastard child of a nice tactical kydex holster and a racegun style mount.

The kydex rides on a ball hinge with infinite rotational adjustment, and that beast is rock solid on a 2" belt. I can't sit flat in a carseat because the holster his the seatcushion and shoves my entire belt into my hip. The thumbscrew locks the pistol in enough to juggle a love handle at the draw or you can have it pretty loose.

I leave it on the looser side and run with my hand over the grip as a safety habit.

I have a rule question for 3 Gun.

Since the gear on your belt can be more modular would it be legal for me to swap holsters depending on the stage?

I have my current holster on a TMMS so it would be easy to do if the rules allowed.

Looks like it's legal to swap holsters in USPSA multigun rules (2.2.4).

I would be looking to get essentially identical holsters but one with and one with retention. At my last match there was only one stage where I felt like I could have used it. When pistol isn't required on the stage I just take the holster/gun off altogether and leave it in the safe area.

Looks like it's legal to swap holsters in USPSA multigun rules (2.2.4).

I would be looking to get essentially identical holsters but one with and one with retention. At my last match there was only one stage where I felt like I could have used it. When pistol isn't required on the stage I just take the holster/gun off altogether and leave it in the safe area.

I never do that, even when I don't plan on using my pistol. Thing is, if a long gun fails, a pistol can be used to get your hits....even on close rifle targets.

Edited by Onagoth

Since the gear on your belt can be more modular would it be legal for me to swap holsters depending on the stage? I have my current holster on a TMMS so it would be easy to do if the rules allowed.

Personally, I think you would be better off with a hood style retention holster, and then simply not engaging the hood on a stage where you are willing for forgo retention—say, a stage where you immediately draw pistol at the start. That is pretty much what I do with the Blade-Tech WRS: pistol first, hood down; anything else, hood up.

Since the gear on your belt can be more modular would it be legal for me to swap holsters depending on the stage? I have my current holster on a TMMS so it would be easy to do if the rules allowed.

Personally, I think you would be better off with a hood style retention holster, and then simply not engaging the hood on a stage where you are willing for forgo retention—say, a stage where you immediately draw pistol at the start. That is pretty much what I do with the Blade-Tech WRS: pistol first, hood down; anything else, hood up.

Is that legal under the various 3 gun rules? I know that USPSA pistol rules required thumb breaks to be in place and etc. if they are on the holster.

I agree that what you are describing would be the obvious solution if acceptable.

Is that legal under the various 3 gun rules? I know that USPSA pistol rules required thumb breaks to be in place and etc. if they are on the holster. I agree that what you are describing would be the obvious solution if acceptable.

I have never seen a 3-Gun ruleset that requires any holster retention system to be activated. The outlaw matches and, I believe, 3GN just say the holster must be of a practical/tactical style in non Open divisions.

As for USPSA, since I don't have the rules in front of me, I would be curious if that is true for all divisions. I assume it is for Production and Single Stack. In Limited, however, I am allowed to unlock my race holster before the beep; since that is a disabled retention device, I presume Limited division would let you deactivate a hood as well. I bring this up because USPSA Multigun pistol equipment rules for non Open divisions are essentially Limited division rules.

Edited by CJW

I don't see a multigun equivalent but here is the handgun rule:

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment on the belt must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the Standby command.

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment on the belt must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the Standby command.

I take it that is a general rule and not division specific? An interesting point, but the hood on my WRS does not physically contact the pistol and is not what I would call a "strap". At any rate, every non-USPSA 3-Gun I have attended allows competitors to engage or not engage retention as they wish. In USPSA, my guess is you will have to use one holster for the whole match and you might have to use retention whenever you holster.

I think the larger issue is that 3-Gun stages are not won or lost on the extra split second a retention holster might add, and I have seen lots of people with "very secure" kydex holsters dump pistols and go home. Getting DQ'ed from a major match is an expensive proposition, so I am willing to run a retention holster.

I take it that is a general rule and not division specific? An interesting point, but the hood on my WRS does not physically contact the pistol and is not what I would call a "strap". At any rate, every non-USPSA 3-Gun I have attended allows competitors to engage or not engage retention as they wish. In USPSA, my guess is you will have to use one holster for the whole match and you might have to use retention whenever you holster.

I think the larger issue is that 3-Gun stages are not won or lost on the extra split second a retention holster might add, and I have seen lots of people with "very secure" kydex holsters dump pistols and go home. Getting DQ'ed from a major match is an expensive proposition, so I am willing to run a retention holster.

Correct, this USPSA handgun rule applies to all divisions. My assumption is that the WRS hood would be deemed equivalent to a retaining strap and shooter would need to have it engaged before the start signal. I don't know that this rule is well known so I wouldn't be surprised to see some RO's overlooking it if the shooter does not have it engaged and there doesn't seem to be a penalty involved where this is neglected. For a pistol match the CRO in me says it must be engaged but the gamer in me says leave it down and see whether the RO picks up on it. Worst case would be he or she tells you to engage it.

This rule seems a little unfair as the true race holsters include a locking mechanism which can be disengaged before starting the stage. I would be curious as to the origins of the rule and whether it is one which could use some attention in a future update to the rules. Regardless I cannot find an equivalent rule in the USPSA Multigun or other 3 Gun rules so it seems like the WRS offers the best of both worlds for those matches.