Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as long as you had someone with binos watching I'd say 500 yards no problem..but having someone watching with binos can still offer up problems I would think...maybe like watching the wrong target???

I shot some of the Spectre Flash Gongs down in NC and they were easy to see...impossible to miss. you can even see them pop up in the video from my iphone..and they were at 300 yards I think. awesome targets!

So what would be the max distance for these? Would a 10" hanging plate with these backers be a good substitute for an MGM flasher?

Just wondering.

We use metal mans, http://www.themetalman.com/targetindex.html and we try to keep the 10"'s at 4 MOA, so we use them at 250 yards. We have used them out to 400. They work pretty well. We like them anyway!

Denise

You can also get similar targets, we are now calling Grisman's at http://www.rockymtntargets.com/

Edited by Benelli Chick

WE are now working with: http://www.rockymtntargets.com/ to create some strappy gongs that are 16 inches with flashcards (and then backers) so we can have 4MOA out to 400 yards.

We'll see how they work. 3/8 inch steel doesn't move much at 400 yds with .223...so we're working on things that move better, so they indicate more easily.

Denise

I have some 15" 3/8 ar500 targets at 300 yards and while the 5.56 doesn't move em much...they make a nice "DING" when hit :)

but if you want to move em...you gotta hit em with something harder!

From my little bit of RO/3-gun experience there seems to be some good improvements/choices for "long range" targets that are easy to call and don't require resetting/painting between shooters.

I think the combination of people with a lot of experience and those new to the sport will result in new ideas that can work under demanding match conditions.

I know I have had some prop and stage designs that looked good on paper but either didn't work at all or couldn't survive the match duration/conditions.

Glad to see it!

Sorry for the thread hijack, not trying to start an endless debate over target/stage/match design.

The backers are coroplast, or corrogated plastic. They hold up very well. We did change them after the first day (60+) shooters but they were still visible when we did it.

The backers are always 2" on each side bigger than the steel and they move too because they are attached to plate with a 5" strip of velcro. Making hits easier to call. I have used them on 12" steel at 500 and they make the targets easier to see. Denise is correct though, 5.56 doesn't move steel very much.

We paint steel grey and never paint it again.

We will be using this style of backers at FNH.

Having only the small backer as in indicator isn't good, they can still be not seen easily. The targets that Denise is referring to, do have a orange "flag" which can be seen by the RO's with binoculars. On the real long targets, RM3G and He Man use multple strobes on the big steel rectangles. Reduncy is good when the target is 500+ yards away, not to mention on the mountain side at 1400 yards. :D

Howard, I think "target locator" is a more accurate description. I'm glad to see that FNH will be using them.

We use BOTH! Backers - to make the target more visible, flashers to make the hits more visible. The flashers are 16 gauge steel with fluorescent orange to make movement easier to see, because the movement makes the orange visible.

Being able to see the target is the most important. Like someone said, you can sometimes "hear" the hits or whatever, as long as you can see the target. We just want to make the hits more visible to everyone...not just the guy looking through the glass!

It sounds like the target presentation at this match was darn good! :bow:

They are more for finding the targets, but when the targets move the backers move. More surface area moving means they perform both functions to a degree. The fact that you can see the dirt kick up behind them when you miss helps make the targets easier to call too, and the shooter can tell where they are hitting and make adjustments.

We are putting them on MGM flashers at FNH as identifiers. We'll use different colors so the shooter can give the RO and idea where he will start and end, so the RO knows where to be looking. When they are spread out this really helps the RO.