Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope for extreme range hunting rifle

openclassterror

Hi all-

Not the area of the forum I usually hang out in, but seems like the best place to ask this question. I am going on a Caribou hunt in Alaska this fall, and I am finishing up my rifle. General specs- .338 ultra mag, Lilja SS match barrel, Chassis stock. I bought a bunch of 285 gr HPBT hunting bullets and I am confident that groups should be 1/2moa or better based on the build. I am trying to pick the best scope to suit this rifle, for shots out to about 650 yards. That is as far as I can practice here locally, so I will not shoot farther at game than I can practice. I have quite a bit of experience shooting at long range, mostly with my custom Savage .300wsm. I have used it on Elk at distance and I don't take chance shots, so please no "don't shoot critters beyond 200 yards" comments. I am looking for recommendations for a quality scope to put on my Alaska rifle. Midway has the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 on sale for $1,600, just wondering what other options I should look at. Here are my general thoughts-

Scope features-

minimum 18x at the top end.

1/4 or 1/8 click adj.

50 mm obj or better.

easy to use turrets with gloves.

Positive zero stop, or locking turrets.

Could go either way on illuminated reticle. Current scope has it, never use it.

2nd focal plane. (don't use scope to range)

Thoughts?

If you aren't sold on SFP Bushnell HDMR / ERS. So many good options out there but I have always been super impressed with the Bushnell for the money. SWFA SS HD has really good glass for in that price range also. Actually HDMR and SS HD are a bit less money that the NXS.

Edited by ridenrunwv

There are different reticles. Get the G2DMR if you get one. The Horus reticles are way too busy. I always hold for wind and am usually somewhere in the middle magnification ranges so like FFP. Very nice when shooting small targets to spot your miss and dial the elevation correction before next shot also. For hunting use only I guess FFP wouldn't be as big of a deal though. Is the scope going to be hunting only or target shooting also?

I prefer to dial, which is why I am willing to spend enough to get a repeatable scope. Don't get me wrong, I had a $60 Tasco World Class that held up to hundreds of rounds of 300 Win Mag. But I have had others shoot loose on a .223. I want a scope that can live through some crummy weather and a bush plane ride, and hold zero. I didn't specify reticle type because I don't generally use holdovers except in 3gun when time is of the essence. I machined a custom turret for my WSM, with hashmarks calibrated in 25yd increments out to 550. I spent quite a bit on a quality rangefinder so I wouldn't have to estimate with the reticle. I prefer MOA adjustments only because I have used them for years, but I am not averse to trying something new. I don't intend to take any rushed shots. I would rather shoot a calm stationary representative animal than take a rushed pop at a monster.

Edited by openclassterror

Good point. I love the Razor HD1-6 on my AR. Is the Viper series built as well as the razors?

The PST is not as good as the Razor, not even close .

I've had a Razor HD 5-20 and I still have a PST but there is no comparison between the two.

I now use a Nightforce ATACR on my long range rig and love it.

I have bought cheap scopes and I have bought good scopes. I thought the Nikon Buckmasters were pretty nice, until I bought a Monarch. Thought that was pretty nice until the Leupold. Thought THAT was pretty nice until I ordered in a Nightforce for a customer back when I had a retail shop. I compared that thing to every piece of glass I had access to including 3200 Elite and a Swaro. Hands down, the best low light glass I had ever seen. I can't get that memory out of my mind. Still have wet dreams about that scope. Can't really compare it to the Vortex, because it tops out at 6x and the Nightforce started at 10x. I am willing to spend what I need to spend for a scope to match the level of the rifle. I always get a little wary when somebody says "almost as good for half the price". That is what people at the gun shows say about NcStars :sick:.

I use a vortex razor on my match gun and it is very good.

The new Bushnells in the ERS and XRS line have very good glass as well. They have a new 3-12 coming out that looks like it would make a really nice hunting optic.

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-px-group-buys/225911-new-bushnell-3x12x44-lrhs-group-buy.html

The a Schmidts are really nice but you can spend 7,000$ on one of those.

A buddy has a March 5-40x56 and uses it for long range hunting and says his glass was better than many of the sporting scopes his guides used.

I think they fun around 3,000$

Ffp is about more than just using the reticle to range but if your mainly shooting on max power it's not really needed.

Edited by rrflyer

I have bought cheap scopes and I have bought good scopes. I thought the Nikon Buckmasters were pretty nice, until I bought a Monarch. Thought that was pretty nice until the Leupold. Thought THAT was pretty nice until I ordered in a Nightforce for a customer back when I had a retail shop. I compared that thing to every piece of glass I had access to including 3200 Elite and a Swaro. Hands down, the best low light glass I had ever seen. I can't get that memory out of my mind. Still have wet dreams about that scope. Can't really compare it to the Vortex, because it tops out at 6x and the Nightforce started at 10x. I am willing to spend what I need to spend for a scope to match the level of the rifle. I always get a little wary when somebody says "almost as good for half the price". That is what people at the gun shows say about NcStars :sick:.

Pretty sure nobody has said "almost as good for half the price". I gave another option that fit your criteria, which did not include a price range. Since price is not in the criteria, I will withdraw the PST as a likely answer. There are several better scopes that could fill your bill.

Edited by JackinSD

Sorry, did not mean to infer that you did. You mentioned that it was half the price, and when I was poking around online reviews lots of them made the "almost as good as a ....) type statements. I kinda added the two bits of info together when I responded. Reviews are hard to trust because none of the companies that make money from advertising ever have anything bad to say about stuff, even if it is crap. Unfortunately, optics are an area where comparisons are largely subjective. I remember testing a group of 6 scopes with a handful of my varmint shooting customers back in the day. We all compared THE SAME 6 SCOPES, and while we all agreed on which were the top 3, our rankings of those top 3 varied. Even differences in an individual's eyesight will change how they rank the scopes. I guess I should have put in a price range, but I assumed that noting my consideration of the nightforce showed what market area I was looking at. Sorry for not being clearer on that!

Tom

Much appreciated Tom, and the nightforce probably should have shown me the price range you were looking for. My mistake there. You are dead on with the individual eyesight being a final determinating factor. Good luck with your scope decision. I personally don't see you beating the Nightforce. Let us know where you end up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm running a few different scopes on my hunting rifles and I'm always torn...because it's a function vs glass problem but i'll share my opinion.

on my Borden .257 weatherby I have a Zeiss Victory 2.5-10 but I've shot that gun all the way out to 650 yards and I'm a firm believer that 10 power is all that's needed. (keep in mind the vitals on a SMALL mule deer are still 20") I also have a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6 on my muzzle loader and I've got to say...those ziess scopes are the shit! the low light is amazing and I've put them all through hell...dropped them on concrete and lord knows what else! they are just amazing scopes and can be bought for a good price if you shop around. I run standard German #4 reticle...no busy reticle...just crosshairs to get the job done.

I also have a Hart .300 Wby that I run a Huskemaw 5-20 Blue Diamond on. now before everyone gets all mean...I know the glass is not that great...I'd say it's on par with decent Leupold stuff...but not nightforce or Swaro or Zeiss....no way. even though nightforce makes the scopes for Huskemaw the glass they use is nowhere near as good. but it's the ease of using the turrets and reticle. now everyone says "oh just call Kenton and have turrets made" but it's that darned reticle. there is absolutely...without a doubt...no faster way to make a long range shot in windy conditions that by using the huskemaw. you dial up the turret...check the MOA hold for wind and go for it. I've made some shots in WY that I would have needed a calculator for otherwise. but let me tell you...when you get out 300-400-500 yards and the wind is blowing 35mph...that huskemaw reticle along with the turrets will save your ass time after time! lowlight performance may suffer a bit...but out west i feel that's not as critical as it is here in the east while hunting the woods.

and that's why I'm such a sucker for the Huskemaw scopes....but minus the reticle and turrets...Zeiss or Nightforce all day long!

Edited by jriggs

For a hunting scope, you want a rugged scope that's not too large. The Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 is a good scope, but 22x is a lot of magnification. For hunting, you would be better off with something that's got more on the lower end and less on the upper end. High power scopes will drive you crazy because they have a very narrow field of view and the reticle will dance a jig with every little movement.

Have 4 NF scopes.

First if your using it for long range and dialing up, make certain you have the high speed turrets and zero stop. Cant stress enough how important the zero stop is during a situation when a shot presents itself and the chaos around such an event and then remembering if you did or did not zero the scope back out.

I kinda get amused that a lot of people make statements about this scope and that scope, but "usually" they have not looked thru a scope at the hours that most shots present theirselves, dawn and dusk. Light gathering capabilities! NF has those qualities that one couldn't see until you look thru one during lowlight conditions.

I just finished a 338 AI build and have the NF ATACR on it with 30 MOA rail, but more importantly is that the ATACR has a 34mm tube, and let me tell you this scope finds that last bit of light out there, my other NF are 30mm tubes and are impressive, but not quit the standard of the ATACR.

Lastly, and simply put, resale of a NF is always present, always.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a NF NXS 8-32x56 with a NP-R2 reticle. With what you are describing as a need for a extreme range long range hunting scope beyond 600 yards the NXS 5.5-22 would definitely fit the bill. I don't agree with others stating 22 magnification is too much in your case. I shoot at 600 often and anywhere depending on conditions between 14-20 is ideal IMO

Re: post 21

I just finished a 338 AI build and have the NF ATACR on it with 30 MOA rail, but more importantly is that the ATACR has a 34mm tube, and let me tell you this scope finds that last bit of light out there, my other NF are 30mm tubes and are impressive, but not quit the standard of the ATACR.
Lastly, and simply put, resale of a NF is always present, always.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but tube diameter affects the amount of elevation travel, and objective size affects light gathering ability. A 30mm tube vs a 34mm tube light gathering is the same, but the 34mm will have more travel. A 56mm objective gathers more light than a 50mm objective (the glass quality being equal). I think the ATACR just has better glass and/or a larger objective.

Edited by Robert Hode