Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manual Decocking

Smitty79

I shoot tweaked, but still USPSA Production legal CZ85. My son has a Shadow. We have been shooting limited to focus on the shooting, not the reloading. We've also been shooting the club steel challenge match.

Now that we have a few matches under our belts, we're moving to USPSA Production, and would like to use the double action start position on our CZ's in steel matches to get more on the clock drawing practice.

The steel match MD, was not aware that manually decocking many CZ's is common practice for USPSA, and probably IDPA, though I've never done it. He isn't happy with it and doesn't want us to do it. I think that if I had a rule book from one of the common action pistol sports, that I could show him, I could probably get him and the RO's to go along.

I don't remember seeing anything specific anywhere? Any other ideas to help me make my case? I'll keep shooting the matches anyway. Steel Challenge is drag racing with guns. I just want to have the practice cross over to Production.

USPSA Rule book

10.5.9 Failure to keep the finger outside the trigger guard during loading,
reloading, or unloading. Exception: while complying with the “Make
Ready” command to lower the hammer of a gun without a decocking
lever
, or while initially loading a revolver with a spurless hammer.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be helpful to hand him that rule book wrapped in a fresh pair of unbunchable panties?

I would never say anything bad about this guy. He's helped more people start off in action shooting than anyone I know. He's a rimfire open guy. Watching him do Smoke and Hope is thing of beauty.

Edited by Smitty79

Steel challenge production division states any gun legal in USPSA production. CZ's play in production but must start off double action.

Sounds like you have respect for this guy. I would be polite about it. Definitly practice manually decocking prior to another match so you can tell him you are experienced and confident in doing it. Then respectfully show him the rulebook if it remains an issue.

IN Steel challenge you are required to drop the hammer with out use of a decocker. following is the exact wording from the 2013 rules.

“If clear, hammer down and holster” After issuance of this command, the competitor is prohibited from firing. While continuing to point the handgun safely downrange,

the competitor must perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows:

1. Centerfire self-loaders – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or de- cocker, if any).

You are correct, my mistake. I was under the belief that if you shot in production with a DA/SA that it had to be decocked for the first shot. But I can't find that in SCSA rules. It does say you can't put your finger on the trigger during loading, unloading or reloading, so without the use of a decocker how else can it be done. If the hammer is cocked the safety must be engaged prior to holstering. I can't find under the rules that it requires the gun to be decocked. The only part of USPSA rules that the rules refer to is the list for Prod. guns.