Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cleaning brass (308) using the stainless steel tumbling

M ammo

Loading 308 cleaning brass using the stainless steel tumbling method.

Just putting this out, to see what you folks might think,,

I have been cleaning my brass using the Stainless steel dawn Lemi shine method, it works well and cleans up brass that you would have otherwise put in the trash.

My question is. Do you think it gets your brass too clean? Squeaky clean?

To the point That you might lightly wipe it down with some type of lube, after re-loading it?

So that it cycles in your rifle better?

If you feel you need to do something put it in your dry media tumbler that has some brass polish (whatever you use) for 30 min or so and it will be fine. I wet tumble and don't see the need though.

That is another thing I’m fishing for and wondering if someone will, jump in and say something,

Polish.. lots of different ways to shine up brass, and yes that leaves something on the brass, that goes in the chamber.

So when I say lube, I’m not talking about glugging in 10-w30

Break free put it on wipe it off, it leaves a coat a slippery coat.

Someone is doing something, and I’m just asking the question. Maybe not asking it well,

But putting it out there and see what I learn.

• 2 weeks later...

I spray my cases with Hornady One Shot while the cases are in the casefeeder. The stuff dries VERY quick, I've never had an issue, and never wipe down or re-tumble the cases. A little bit goes a long way!

The case is supposed to grab the chamber and offset the thrust vector reducing the force applied to the bolt. In a semi auto the round is being pulled out of the chamber while there is still pressure in the case. Brass ejected from a semi-auto hot due to the friction caused by that pressure. Brass from a bolt gun is not hot no matter how fast you eject it. Lube on a case is not a good thing.

Steve RA is correct.

Instead of starting a new subject just for this picture.......,and since it is along the lines of prepping your brass......when you get 308 military brass for free, in an F15 flare crate, it is important to look at the primers before punching them. I punch primers before I wet SS tumble my brass and didn't catch the first one of these and admittedly was on a bit of auto pilot not paying too much attention to the pressure I was applying.....what harm could come....I'm just punching primers out :rolleyes: always pay attention

End Result

13492036434_2e9e3cc5b0_h.jpg

Edited by 2011WRBSTI

So here is what I did......haven't experienced any problems with my 40 major loads, 223 or 308

1) Harbor Freight for a Dual Drum tumbler http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

2) Ebay for 2lbs of SS Media ( tumble 1hr with soap/water alone to clean first ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pounds-Stainless-Steel-Tumbling-Media-Pins-2lb-047-x-255-1-19mm-x-6-48mm-/181324084874?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a37c1f68a

3) Walmart for LemiShime http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lemi-Shine-Super-Concentrated-Dishwasher-Detergent-Additive-12-oz/15724190

4) Your kitchen sink for some Dawn dish soap

5) 1lbs of SS in each drum

6) Fill about half way with brass ( no primers preferred )

7) Small shake of LemiShine

8) Light squirt of Dawn

9) Tumble for 1.5-2hrs

10) Rinse

Total cost - $71 with 20%HFT coupon

Results before and after on my military gifted 308

13492221433_6e15bb889d_b.jpg

When I say Lube, ammo I’m not talking about dipping them in 30 Weight oil and stuffing them dripping in the magazine.

What I did try is laying out my 308 re-loads and spraying them with Remington oil with Teflon thin long lasting film. I let it sit for a bit and wiped them off.

I clean my rifle with this stuff. the chamber too!!!!!! :surprise: :ph34r:

So how much difference does it make?

The gun ran fine, no hang up, or exploding from pressure. So far so good.

A cartridge case, the chamber and bore should be free of "ALL" oil or grease!

How many warnings do I have to post from the firearms industry about not lubing your ammo.

If anything keeps the case from gripping the chamber walls the bolt thrust is doubled.

A military NATO requirement is for two proof pressure cartridges to be fired, one "DRY" cartridge to proof the barrel and one "OILED" cartridge to proof the bolt and receiver. After proofing the firearm is checked for headspace and if the firearms has too much bolt setback the firearm fails proof testing.

Bolt thrust is the major cause of the headspace increasing on a firearm.

Below when you pull the trigger the firing pin pushes the case forward until the shoulder of the case contacts the shoulder of the chamber, then the cartridge goes bang. Then as pressure builds the primer is pushed out of the primer pocket, as the pressure increases the brass then stretches to meet the bolt face. Acting this way the case acts like a shock absorber and reduces bolt thrust and dwell time the rear of the case is in contact with the bolt face.

HeadClearance_zpsf30a3af1.gif

Think of lubing your cases like your in the boxing ring with Mike Tyson and stupid enough to leaning into his right hook. Now think of a dry cartridge case and ducking under Mike Tyson's right hook and then running out of the ring to keep him from biting off your ear.

Edited by bigedp51

Obviously it can't be too bad or everyone would not be singing the praises of lubricating the cases before sizing. Some tumble after that and some don't. Also the pressures are slightly different between the pistol and rifle calibers most people use.