Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switching from a 2 die setup to a 3 die set-up (223)

usmc90

Like the title says..im looking to make a switch to a 3 die set-up from a 2 die set-up on my dillon 650....I currently have the RCBS 2 die , small base rifle set..But as we all know one of them pulls double duty as a seater-crimper and i want to goto a seperate operartion for those..

So my question is do i get another seating die or crimp die ? I hope the question is as understandable here as it is in my head !! :goof: .

Why are you crimping?

Its more like adding additional neck tension. .have had some bullets slide back into the case after it went through the loading process

Sizing provides the neck tension to hold the bullet in the case, not crimping. If you have set back, something either is wrong with the sizing, or something is wrong between sizing and seating. (like too much crimp.. can cause the neck to bulge and allow set back.)

Why are you crimping?

Its more like adding additional neck tension. .have had some bullets slide back into the case after it went through the loading process

Are you using bullets with a cannelure?

Why are you crimping?

Sizing provides the neck tension to hold the bullet in the case, not crimping. If you have set back, something either is wrong with the sizing, or something is wrong between sizing and seating. (like too much crimp.. can cause the neck to bulge and allow set back.)

+1

When I do a push test ( push the loaded rounds against the bench) I don't want any movement. .. Maybe I just need to do a complete readjust ..again..

That's correct. Crimping or crimping more won't prevent movement. Overcrimping could cause movement.

I'd assume you are using a full length sizing die already. You don't want to crimp - if the bullet fits loosely in the case neck (so you can push it in freely) then the neck expander is too large. you can remove it from the sizing die, chuck it in a drill and polish a little away so that it doesn't expand the neck so much. As far as the seating crimp die, you can adjust it so it only seats without crimping, just back the die out slightly and run the seating stem down some.

I'd assume you are using a full length sizing die already. You don't want to crimp - if the bullet fits loosely in the case neck (so you can push it in freely) then the neck expander is too large. you can remove it from the sizing die, chuck it in a drill and polish a little away so that it doesn't expand the neck so much. As far as the seating crimp die, you can adjust it so it only seats without crimping, just back the die out slightly and run the seating stem down some.

i'm using a small base..im just going to try and reset them....any hints as to set-up that i may have missed???

If you are seating and crimping in the same operation this can cause your problem, I have a single stage Rockchucker press and seat and crimp in separate operations.

You do not need the third die, Steve RA in post #10 just gave you the best answer. I made my expander ball .002 smaller in diameter to increase neck tension and forget crimping for my AR15 rifles.

If you are shooting a bolt action you do not need a "Gorilla" push test, your dies and the neck thickness of the case control neck tension. Also excess crimping can loosen neck tension when seating and crimping at the same time.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ What Steve said. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

I also run a Lee Factory Crimp Die at the end. (Wish their pistol caliber crimp dies were made this way, but I digress.) Not for any perceived increased bullet grip, but for a slight improvement in accuracy.

In experiments with every rifle I own, putting .001-.002 crimp with a Lee FCD, improves accuracy at 300 yards by about ¼”. I know .25 of an inch at 300 yards doesn’t sound like much but for so little investment… (and besides it fills up that last station on the press so nicely)

Jeff