Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

158gr. bullet in 9mm anyone?

jayjay1

Hey guys,

I´m wondering if anyone uses a 158gr. bullet in 9mm for Minor?

I´m a caster too, doing my own .40" and .45" bullets.

Now I want to start casting the 9mm, which is little bit difficult for some reason, especially with higher velocoties.

Therefore and because I like the heavier bullets, I´m thinking about using 158gr. bullets which are made for the .357 Magnum in .358" and sizing them down to .356".

Has anybody experiences with that combo?

Not 158gr but I have with the 150gr LSWC.

Just as you described your bullet needs, this too was designed for the .38spl/super.

I was able to get it to 125pf using clays and loading to 1.110 OAL. Not enough of a difference from the 147gr FN performance wise, so I went back.

With as deep as it has to be loaded, there was some deformation of the bullet nose forcing it passed all of that case neck. Definitely no risk of bullet setback.

I have a buddy that shoots a lot of revolver. So I took a 158 FMJ bullet and loaded it into an empty 9mm case. It didn't pass the chamber check gauge. Then I tried chamber checking it in my Glock and it wouldn't pass that chamber check either. It went from that Glock barrel to the trash can and that was the extent of my experiment.

I have heard a few people complain about shooting 160 coated/moly 9mm bullets that the bullets tumble. This was through their stock barrels. I believe if you changed the barrel to an aftermarket with a twist that was more ideal for the heavy slow bullet it make work. But I just didn't think it would be that advantageous.

@Butterpuc:

Well, I have shot some thousand rounds of 153gr. ARES bullets (coated) with big success.

Very precise and with a fast powder (same as Accurate No.2), the recoil was a laugh, like a stronger .22lr. and the plates fall like pins.

That is enough advantage for me.

Maybe you should try sized cast bullets, 0,001" wider than your barrel and look for the max OAL.

I do measure my max OAL and reduce it 0,1mm (roundabout 0,004").

I´m casting since a while, began with the .45, then the .40, thinking I can try the 9mm now.

I don't think this one comes in a TL version but it has a conventional lube groove and I lubed with a regular lubesizer.

The insert link doesn't work for me but it is a Lee 358-158-rf

Below is a pic of it loaded in a 9mm case and you can see the exposed crimp groove because I had to seat it longer.

post-922-0-07784900-1393275727_thumb.jpg