Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun reloading options

OscarMike

I'm new into the tactical shotgun thing, and am going to head to byers to do some 3 gunning this year.

I've got all my gear settled, and now I've just got to figure out shotshell carriers.

I thought I was set on taccom dualoads, but then I found the quaload. Then was running around on here and I found all the other options for carriers.. AP, Invictus, Carbon Arms, etc.

I have smaller hands (medium glove with short fat sausage fingers) and I'm hesitant to do the quad load thing. But the videos I've seen really show the quad loading to be a lot faster.

What're you all running and what're you happy with, or not so happy with? I'll be using tekloks on my CR Speed belt if that changes anything. Is quad loading the way of the future? or should I dual load and work my way up to quad loading?

Thanks!

Kevin

There's nothing wrong with doing the load 2, it can be done almost as fast or faster than most quad loaders. I quad load personally withTacCom gear, it works very well and is very fast with practice, but you're not really at a disadvantage if you learn to load 2 really well.

There have been stages where I had to transition from shotgun to rifle and the rifle portion required going prone. In those cases, I just rip off the Load 2 belt and move on. Not a big deal as long as you remember.

I suppose it's better than laying on top of a set of shell caddies.

What I did was a load 2 setup on a tact vest and used the CCW 6 shell caddie. I have small hands with short fingers and I could manipulate 3 rounds outta the caddie and the load 2 the easiest of everything I tried.

Mostly its about getting good reloading the shotgun no matter what your preferred method of shell stuffing is.

Quads will save you maybe 1/2 second on load 8, with an increased fumble factor. There are very few guys relying totally on Quad loading, so the ability to do both from the same rig is beneficial.

I like to have to ability to run at least 10 on the belt to which I can add, or replace with a chest rig depending on the stage plan.

Quads will save you maybe 1/2 second on load 8, with an increased fumble factor. There are very few guys relying totally on Quad loading, so the ability to do both from the same rig is beneficial.

I like to have to ability to run at least 10 on the belt to which I can add, or replace with a chest rig depending on the stage plan.

That makes sense. Thanks Mark.

Yes, both of our systems do. The FSL8 is the only system that can be used for Twin, Quad and traditional weakhand. The SSL systems (backbones, quads and the vest) can be used for Twins or Quads.

I run a load 2 here as the gun just dosent work well for quad and it has a lot bigger chance of screwing it up than a load 2 and takes a lot more time to be proficient. The big thing is how fast you can do it consistently in match conditions while moving and not fumbling

Mark, do you have a store front, or a place I could mess around with your stuff so I can decide which way I want to go

We are in Wheat Ridge. Yes you can come by and demo/buy products here. No you can not mess around with any of my stuff. :)

Drop me a PM or email if you need the address.

Mark, do you have a store front, or a place I could mess around with your stuff so I can decide which way I want to go

We are in Wheat Ridge. Yes you can come by and demo/buy products here. No you can not mess around with any of my stuff. :)

Drop me a PM or email if you need the address.

PMing. :)

Purchased the harness setup and the fsl8. The carbon hand guards are awesome and there will be one in my immediate future!

Mark, awesome to meet you all today! The shop tour was super cool. Wish we didn't have a range reservation, would have loved to spend more time with chatting. Ryan and I are totally grateful.

Kevin

Been practicing all evening. Got my reloads from shoulder to shoulder down from 8 seconds down to low 6/high 5. Best time is a 5.15.

Really like this vest a lot. Only thing I'm not a fan of, the Delrin Molly clips are longer than the vest and dig into my stomach when I bend over to pick up dropped shells. That's my only complaint. Otherwise love this thing

The EZ8 is a Kydex caddy system that also allows all loading options. Like all of the high end caddys it is pretty pricey but I liked it enough to buy a second one. Here is a link to a picture of one listed on ebay and I think it might be a couple of dollars cheaper than I paid for my last one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gunner-Solutions-EZ8-Generation-2-Shotgun-Shell-Carrier-Caddy-with-Tek-Lok-/281279917846?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&var=580326080240&hash=item417d96ef16

It comes with a teklok(sp) mount which I think has a small amount of rotation +/- from the straight vertical. Also try out your other tekloks mounted upside down from traditional, the way they come on the EZ8. For those who use a plain single ply belt this really speeds up belt mounted gear changes.