Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Losing zero with my Warne Skel mounts

Alaskapopo

Of go back about 2 months and I got back from GA from the new Ft. Benning match and checked my zero on my JP with the Swarovski and a Warne Skel mount. My zero had shifted 2 moa at 100 yards. 2 full inches to the right. I thought it must have been bad baggage handling and did not pay much attention. Now today with my Nordic build with a Warne mount and a Vortex 1-6 right in the middle of a practice stage I had set up with a friend I stopped being able to hit. I noticed which target it was on even. After the stage I checked zero and I was hitting about 1 inch to the right and about and inch and a half low. I checked the torque on the screws and I will have my friend check the torque on the cross bolts tomorrow. It could be the scopes I suppose and it could be something with the rifles. But I am concerned and have lost some confidence. Back when I was running Larue mounts I never lost zero even when removing the scope and putting it back on. I like everything else about the SKEL mount but needless to say I am concerned. Has anyone else had this issue with their Skel or ramp mounts from Warne? Not bashing Warne love their products and am wondering if this is a quick fix. Maybe its the optics just not sure.
Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wondered if the combination of the two small clamps on the Skel and the weight of the Vortex would cause problems. I decided to go with a JP mount for my Vortex instead.

Pat

Which jp mount? Im getting vortex and can't decide whether to get a larue or jp.., I don't like qd so much so if I get larue I may get vfz.... Edited by gondo

It'll be interesting to see what your torque values were. I know WARNE recommends 25 in/lbs on the scope bolts and 65 in/lbs for the two hex bolts. That's pretty high compared to someone like JP which recommends 15 and 29 in/lbs respectively. I wouldn't think weight would be a factor if things were properly snugged up as you see people running huge scopes on rings with similar clamping area as the SKEL but on rifles with tons more kick.

My Vortex should be here this week and I plan on putting it in to a SKEL. I'll for sure be keeping an eye on it and if I see any shift I'll let you know.

Going to replace all three SKEL's I have on my guns. Have not decided yet rather I will go with JP, Nightforce or Bobro.

Pat

What made you decide to replace? If I may ask.

I have a SKEL setting on the shelve waiting on funds for glass.

I know you didn't ask but you might want to consider ADM mounts also. I have one and I'm very pleased with it.

Going to replace all three SKEL's I have on my guns. Have not decided yet rather I will go with JP, Nightforce or Bobro.

Pat

What made you decide to replace? If I may ask.

I have a SKEL setting on the shelve waiting on funds for glass.

I know you didn't ask but you might want to consider ADM mounts also. I have one and I'm very pleased with it.

I have had some problems with a ADM mount I used to have on my precision AR. I thought it was a scope issue and Vortex recommended the JP mount and the problem went away. The reason I am going to replace the SKEL's is the unexplained zero shift. If it happens with different mounts then I know something else is wrong but the mount is the cheapest part of the equation to replace vs the optic.

Pat

If your taking suggestions, I just recently switched from Larue mounts (LT-104) to the extended Bobro mounts, and I think they are great. I like the BLAC lever system which requires no manual adjustment to lock it to the rail. I like the lever system (with the safety) better. I like the ring mount bolts are horizontal and not vertical. For the record I have the newer version with the ring bolts on top, not on bottom. The mount is rock solid and the quality is awesome. I dont think you'd be disappointed if you went that route. Also for what is worth, I am running them on 2 Vortex HD 1-6's. Good luck in your search

ETA link http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/8/

Edited by JWil

Dang, if openclassterror doesn't want all of them I might be interested in one for a 22 upper or my backup.

I hope it isn't a mount issue, I just got a cert for Warne and wanted to get the SKEL to replace the burris mount I currently have.

I'm going to try the Vortex mount for my Vortex 1-6. I don't have enough rail on my rifle and needed the longer cantilever since I have a long neck and my natural cheek location is too close for proper relief. A buddy recommended it and hasn't reported any issue with loosing zero.

Hey Pat, have you tried calling Warne? I forwarded the thread to some people there but you might want to call them. 1. Maybe they can help. 2. if something is up, they'll want to know and investigate. You've been such a fan of Warne. I would hate to see you spend money if you didn't have to.

I was just about to pick up a Skel mount before I read this. I want to replace my Larue LT-104 because it has shifted multiple times and I just cant trust it anymore. I have 2 scopes in the Larues and both have changed their zero, one of which while actually shooting. Maybe it would be better to just go with the RAMP Warne so it has a little more beef to it. Just looking at the design, I cant imagine it weighing much more than the Larue's. Besides, something about those vertical rings just rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by DoubleA

Why not ask Larue to replace the mounts?

Mick

I was just about to pick up a Skel mount before I read this. I want to replace my Larue LT-104 because it has shifted multiple times and I just cant trust it anymore. I have 2 scopes in the Larues and both have changed their zero, one of which while actually shooting. Maybe it would be better to just go with the RAMP Warne so it has a little more beef to it. Just looking at the design, I cant imagine it weighing much more than the Larue's. Besides, something about those vertical rings just rubs me the wrong way.

Why not ask Larue to replace the mounts?

Mick

If it was an issue with just the one mount, then I would do just that, but with both of them doing the same thing the faith in the mount design is gone.