Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VZ grips vs thick Al grips

Nimitz

They feel different in the hand; I like the thick aluminum better. Even though the AL grips don't cover the top-rear corner of the gun, with my large hands I still do not get my knuckle bashed on the right-side safety lever. With the thin AL grips my hand is ready for a visit to the ER after about 500 rounds.

On my 2 shadows I have one pair (custom wood) from grips4u.net and one pair (the thick AL) from a forum member; traded for my VZ's. The thick AL add about one more ounce to the gun.

Hmmm .... It would sure be nice to be able to try them out before plunking down $95 .... :). My only complaint with my Shadow is I'd like thicker grips ...

What did you mean by " not covering the top rear corner of the gun"? From the pic on Mink's site it looks similar to the VZs ....

Hmmm .... It would sure be nice to be able to try them out before plunking down $95 .... :). My only complaint with my Shadow is I'd like thicker grips ...

What did you mean by " not covering the top rear corner of the gun"? From the pic on Mink's site it looks similar to the VZs ....

I believe this is the section that he is referring to.

post-50115-0-75505400-1392658860_thumb.j

post-50115-0-21394600-1392658874_thumb.j

yeah the rubber grips are what they come with from the factory. they have a nice palm swell and are probably the thickest grips you can get from the factory offerings. although the plastic ones would be similar (possibly a little thicker).

I quite like them. if you have large to x-large hands they should suit you well.

btw, I doubt they are 2 inches thicker. maybe half an inch to one inch total...

Edited by BeerBaron

lol. my bad. yeah 0.2inch sounds about right. they have a nice palm swell shape to them too.

something people do is to put the rubber grip on the strong hand side (right side if right handed) and then put a flat alloy grip on the left. this gives a nice palm swell into your strong hand and a nice flat surface with checkering or grip tape on the other side. looks a bit funny but seems to work ok.

that could work too.

whilst we are talking grip sizes, has anyone measured the 'thick' double alpha grips?

these ones: http://www.doublealpha.biz/gun-accessories/grips/daa-cz-sp01-grip

check out the pic of the pupple grips. if you look at the bottom (near the mag opening) you can see they have quite a thick pad.

I'm keen to try them. I have the thin CZ UB checkered alloy grips but they are too small for me and no one ever seems to carry the thick versions here.

that could work too.

whilst we are talking grip sizes, has anyone measured the 'thick' double alpha grips?

these ones: http://www.doublealpha.biz/gun-accessories/grips/daa-cz-sp01-grip

check out the pic of the pupple grips. if you look at the bottom (near the mag opening) you can see they have quite a thick pad.

I'm keen to try them. I have the thin CZ UB checkered alloy grips but they are too small for me and no one ever seems to carry the thick versions here.

Bens pro shop lists the thick DAA grips at 32.2mm, or 1.268" wide.

https://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=DAA-CZ-Grips

1.38" wide including the grip tape. I have the "old", discontinued curved aluminum grips, which have a bit of palm-swell.

Go right ahead, we can handle it ......

Ordered the blue ones from Ben ....

Edited by justaute

post-354-0-08553900-1393360706_thumb.jpg post-354-0-52385000-1393360715_thumb.jpg

post-354-0-31084700-1393360723_thumb.jpg post-354-0-19463600-1393360736_thumb.jpg

Aluminum: 1.30" across all the way top-bottom.

Wood: 1.4" at bottom-rear, about 1.35" across the mag release area, about 1.25" across the front 1/3 or so where your fingertips grip the gun - due to the triangular shape which I really like.

All measurements include grip tape which cover the Tyc aluminum grips completely & the left-bottom of the wood grips from grips4u.net. I like how both are relatively flat on top; if you look at the web photo you see a very nice palm swell on the CZ rubber grips but unfortunately they flair at the top, that flare doesn't get up to the safety lever, so it cuts right into the largest knuckle of my right hand.

I just put on the pair of rubber grips I got and I like the way they feel. Can't wait to try them at the range tomorrow. I'll be curious to see how they compare to the new thick Al grips I just ordered from Ben as well ...

These are the grips. Measurement is taken across the grip screws. As you can see at the bottom of the grip, where it is not covered by the tape, there is a convex radius to the grip.

There is a "newer" version of these grips, but according to my buddy who bought a pair, the newer ones are thinner and have less radius.

IMG_20140201_194232290_zpsn2oxyobx.jpg

Those look pretty nice ....got to try out the rubber grips this morning and they felt pretty good. We'll see after a couple of hrs of dry fire what I think. The thick Al ones coming I think still have the flat profile so I may end up with the rubber ones when all is said and done .... I do really like the blue however so off to ExtremeShooters they will go for a change of color ...