Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Pro Comp 40 Review

ak_tech

Well here goes with my first review.

After shooting Production for a while I decided I wanted to try something different and Single Stack seemed like a good place to go. I have owned probably about 15 ish 1911s but I wanted to try one of the new 40 S&W 1911s so it would feel similar to my Limited gun in recoil etc. So After reading a lot on this forum and other places and hearing good things about the Para USA guns I decided to try one one of their Pro Comp 40s. To be honest I was a little surprised by my decision to get a Para because about 18 years ago I owned one and it had nothing but problems. But I have heard good things about the new Para and though I would give it a shot. Also i have owned a STI Trojan in 9mm and wanted to try something different. So off I went to the Net to find a good deal and along with the mail in rebate (that I will send in the week) this new gun only set me back about $930.

So when I got it I went to the range with a variety of ammo and shot about 250 rounds. I also lubed it up as it was bone dry from the factory.

Pros:

• Very nice fit and finish. Looks better than my Trojan in this regard
  • Decent Groups- 10 shots off hand at 35 yards in a 6 inch paper plate was my only accuracy test. But that's about as good as I can do anyway
  • I really like the slide serrations, they almost give it a custom look
  • The Ion bond finish looks very good and even. Time will tell how well it holds up

Cons:

• The grip thumb safety on the right side was not fit close the the pistol and there is a visible gap there. Pinching the two sides together didn't help this and probably needs some minor fitting
  • The trigger was very heavy, like 6 pounds plus. Unfortunetly i didn't measure it but if anyone asks I will. In addition it was anything but smooth. I am under the impression that they use EGW parts but its obvious that it will need some work to be competition ready.
  • The springs in the gun where very heavy and would not cycle my 150 PF IDPA loads I had. I swapped the recoil spring for the same 14 lbs spring I use in my limited gun and they worked fine

Not the bad news. After about 100 rounds it started randomly jamming (not going into battery). I had a case gauge in my rand bag and all the rounds were fine.I thought it was the ammo I was using so I switched to another load and chalked it up to "break in period". The problem persisted for another 150 rounds with a variety of ammo. When I got it home and inspected it. I noticed the Barrel Bushing wasnt flush with the front of the slide anymore... When I took the gun apart I looked at the barrel bushing a little better and it looks like it had started to dent in and was no longer fitting correctly. I amuse now that this is the cause of my random malfunctions.

I will contact Para on Monday and see what they say.

Given the pros an cons I think this could turn into a good single stack gun but will need some work. However, I am discouraged about this barrel link issue and will have to see how it goes. Ill keep everyone posted.

post-18497-0-05978700-1392450048_thumb.j

post-18497-0-98922400-1392450061_thumb.j

post-18497-0-96244700-1392450071_thumb.j

post-18497-0-26074300-1392450083_thumb.j

post-18497-0-76845000-1392450104_thumb.j

Edited by ak_tech

Sounds like the spring you put into the gun was going to full compression/bind and therefore transferring the slides energy to the bushing. Using the same 14lb spring that you were using, does spring compress all the way to back of the guide rod as in the first picture? Also, with the spring plug in the gun, measuring from the lip inside the plug (where the front of the recoil spring sits) to the back of the plug housing (like in the second picture), what's the measurement?

b5rwwk.jpg

2u70d2a.jpg

Edited by jrbet83

Where is this gun made?

Everyone seems to belive they're made in Pineville NC. Unless the definition has changed (very possible.) sounds like they're machining and assembling everything in house. They are very loud and proud of their own CS, so hope it all works out. Im interested in hearing how its resolved. Para dose seem enticing.

Sounds like the spring you put into the gun was going to full compression/bind and therefore transferring the slides energy to the bushing. Using the same 14lb spring that you were using, does spring compress all the way to back of the guide rod as in the first picture? Also, with the spring plug in the gun, measuring from the lip inside the plug (where the front of the recoil spring sits) to the back of the plug housing (like in the second picture), what's the measurement?

b5rwwk.jpg

2u70d2a.jpg

- Sounds like the spring you put into the gun was going to full compression/bind... I was kind of thinking the same thing but how can this be? I have used that same spring brand (ISM) and weight (14lbs) in my limited gun and in other 1911s with no problem. I have even used and seen may others on here running 12.5 springs in their 1911 / 2011s without issue.

- does spring compress all the way to back of the guide rod as in the first picture?- Not quite but close... I did the same thing with the spring that came with it and it compressed all the way and contacted the slide.

IMG_0949_zps35527ed9.jpg

IMG_0954_zpsa7a23346.jpg

- with the spring plug in the gun, measuring from the lip inside the plug- I must have hit the mm/ inches button when I was doing to so the pic shows 40.46 mm (1.592 inches)..

IMG_0951_zps161d5660.jpg

Unfortunately the spring bind is your problem. The gun is within spec as 1.60 is the standard (So it's not Para's issue; they may still help you out, but just saying it's wasn't the guns fault). To be honest I have no idea why some springs bind (defect is my opinion), but It has nothing to do with poundage. Hopefully someone alot smarter than me can chime in.

As I stated before, and I'm sure you know, but with that ISMI spring in the gun, when your slide was all the way to the rear, the spring bottomed out before the spring plug contacted the guide rod. So all the momentum/energy of the slide, was then transferred to the bushing. And obvious that's not suppose to happen.

*And to clarify, it's not a problem with ISMI springs in general. It's a problem with that particular ISMI spring, you could try another 100 ISMI springs and they all could function properly. That one unfortunately bottomed out at estimated 1.800" when it's made for a gun (1911's) that goes to 1.600" full compression or in your guns case 1.592". I'd contact ISMI and see what they say.

Edited by jrbet83

Unfortunately the spring bind is your problem. The gun is within spec as 1.60 is the standard (So it's not Para's issue; they may still help you out, but just saying it's wasn't the guns fault). To be honest I have no idea why some springs bind (defect is my opinion), but It has nothing to do with poundage. Hopefully someone alot smarter than me can chime in.

As I stated before, and I'm sure you know, but with that ISMI spring in the gun, when your slide was all the way to the rear, the spring bottomed out before the spring plug contacted the guide rod. So all the momentum/energy of the slide, was then transferred to the bushing. And obvious that's not suppose to happen.

*And to clarify, it's not a problem with ISMI springs in general. It's a problem with that particular ISMI spring, you could try another 100 ISMI springs and they all could function properly. That one unfortunately bottomed out at estimated 1.800" when it's made for a gun (1911's) that goes to 1.600" full compression or in your guns case 1.592". I'd contact ISMI and see what they say.

Thanks for the info. You learn something new everyday :) I have been shooting 1911s for over 20 years and since this had never come up before, I didn't know anything about it. I'm actually very glad its not the guns fault as other than this issue, and some minor trigger work, I think it would be a good gun for Single Stack. When Para contacts me back Ill be sure to explain the problem along with what I learned here. It would be awesome of them if they would still help me out, but we will see.

Ok I just did a little test with some springs I had.

does spring compress all the way to back of the guide rod?

12.5 lb ISM - No I tried 3 of these with the same result. These have been purchased a different times over the years so its unlikely they are the same lot.

14 lb lb ISM - No I tried 2 of these with the same result

10 lb ISM - Yes

12 lb Wolff - Yes

14 lb Wolf - Yes

Im not exactly sure what this means other than it doesn't look like its isolated to that one spring.

Edited by ak_tech

I did some more looking, and I'm seeing alot more information that says 1.625 is the actual "spec" of the spring compression length vs the original 1.600 like I thought (Sprinco said they measured their spring rates at that distant, so guessing that's how that number got into my head). If that's the case then your spring plug may be out of spec by .030". In my research, I came across some info that was saying Wolff springs weren't bottoming out till 1.4XX. Just taking a guess, I bet ISMI springs tend to bottom out at a slightly longer distance, giving someone in your case less room for error (or no room). Do you have a different recoil plug? If so, throw it in the gun and see what your 1.592" number turns into.

Edited by jrbet83

I did some more looking, and I'm seeing alot more information that says 1.625 is the actual "spec" of the spring compression length vs the original 1.600. If that's the case then your spring plug may be out of spec by .030". In my research, I came across some info that was saying Wolff springs weren't bottoming out till 1.4XX. Just taking a guess, I bet ISMI springs tend to bottom out at a slightly longer distance, giving someone in your case less room for error (or no room). Do you have a different recoil plug? If so, throw it in the gun and see what your 1.592" number turns into.

I changed the way i pressured this time. Because the barrel bushing was no longer flush with the slide i thought I may not be getting an accurate measurement. The below is measured with me holding the bushing up against the frame where it should be.

Had a Wilson plug = 1.603

The Para Plug = 1.570

Edited by ak_tech

There's the issue. The bushing won't sit perfectly flush with the slide (especially with a factory gun), but yes you are right your bushing is pushed out slightly, giving you a bigger number. My gun is 1.605. Your's is probably 1.605-1.610 with the wilson plug and your bushing at 100%.

Now for curiosity sake, looking into the Para plug, see any issues? Didn't get machined all the way? Burr?

Glad we could figure out the issue. Hope Para takes care of you, keep us update.

Edited by jrbet83

I shot mine for the first time today and it ran flawlessly. I ran 50 rds of Hornady Steel Match ammo out of Wilson 40 mags, and then 50 rds of long Atlanta Arms ammo out of Tripp Corey mags. It needs a magwell and could use a trigger job, but overall I'm very happy with mine.

I shot mine for the first time today and it ran flawlessly. I ran 50 rds of Hornady Steel Match ammo out of Wilson 40 mags, and then 50 rds of long Atlanta Arms ammo out of Tripp Corey mags. It needs a magwell and could use a trigger job, but overall I'm very happy with mine.

Yeah. I'm glad yours is working good. Would you mind taking the time to take the above measurements? That may help me troubleshoot my issues. Thank

Sorry to hear about your issues AK, hopefully you'll get some help from Para. Ran another 100 rounds through mine today without a hiccup, the Wilson mags and magwell are working great and I love the Wilson grips as well but I agree it needs some trigger work. I looked at my safety as well and although it doesn't fit flush it's equa-distant on both sides so not sure if this is an issue or not (remember this is my first 1911 so I don't know any better)

Regards,

Paul

I too recently got a Para Pro Comp 40. I mostly shoot USPSA Production with a Glock 35 (reload to .40 minor), but wanted to get a reasonably priced 1911 in .40 to occasionally compete in Single Stack division. The fit and finish of this Para is excellent. No machine marks or burrs anywhere. No slide rattle from side to side, but not too tight either. I really like the Ion Bond finish on top of the Stainless Slide, Stainless Barrel, and Stainless Frame. However, the trigger pull is HEAVY and rough. Here's a breakdown of the changes I made at home to get this 1911 ready to my liking for competition:

Installed a .250" Diameter Full Length Guide Rod and Plug from EGW, to run flat ISMI 17# recoil spring (feels like a Wolff 14#)

Removed the Series 80 Firing Pin Safety Mechanism (out of frame and slide)

Installed a .065" Metal Filler Plate (from Brownells) in the frame to take up the space occupied by the Series 80 leverage bars

Installed a Wilson Titanium Firing Pin (.065" tip) with a Wolff Heavy Duty Firing Pin Spring

No adjustment necessary on the stock Extractor (EGW Heavy Duty)

Installed a Wilson Bullet Proof Slide Stop

Lightly Polished Barrel Feed Ramp with a very small amount of Jewelers rouge and a Dremel tool with a felt polishing pad

Lightly Polished the top end of the Disconnector, and the bottom face that contacts the back of the trigger

Lightly Polished the top edge of the Sear (using a polishing block used for finger nails)

Lightly Polished the face of Hammer

Lightly Polished the contact points of the Grip Safety arm

Lightly Polished the back face, top and bottom arms of the trigger bow

Installed a Wolff 16# Hammer Spring

Installed a EGW Titanium MSH Cap

Installed TechWell "TGO-IPSC" Magwell (Black), with their Black Diamond G10 Grips

Installed a Wilson SS Extended Mag Release with a slightly reduced weight release spring

Lubed the Rails, Inner part of Bushing, Outer Barrel, and Lugs using "Gun Butter"

Later, I may install a higher quality Sear, Disconnector, and Hammer from either Wilson or Harrison

It now feels like its running on ball bearings. The trigger break is now smooth, crisp and approximately 3.5 lbs. The gun has run flawlessly in practice using "Tripp Corey Mags 10mm", shooting MG 180gr CMJ loaded to 1.180" with a 171 Power Factor. The real test will come when I shoot it in an actual match. I may wait to get this Para in match until after the Area 6 match in April. Overall, and so far, I'm very pleased with the Para Pro Comp 40. Also, the adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front have a great "feel" and sight picture. The width of the front sight is a perfect match to the notch on the rear sight, and the fiber diameter is small enough to not "Halo" and distract. If you don't like the Fiber Optic front, Dawson Precision makes a solid Black front sight for a Para, with options for height and width.

Thompson

I too recently got a Para Pro Comp 40. I mostly shoot USPSA Production with a Glock 35 (reload to .40 minor), but wanted to get a reasonably priced 1911 in .40 to occasionally compete in Single Stack division. The fit and finish of this Para is excellent. No machine marks or burrs anywhere. No slide rattle from side to side, but not too tight either. I really like the Ion Bond finish on top of the Stainless Slide, Stainless Barrel, and Stainless Frame. However, the trigger pull is HEAVY and rough. Here's a breakdown of the changes I made at home to get this 1911 ready to my liking for competition:

Installed a .250" Diameter Full Length Guide Rod and Plug from EGW, to run flat ISMI 17# recoil spring (feels like a Wolff 14#)

Removed the Series 80 Firing Pin Safety Mechanism (out of frame and slide)

Installed a .065" Metal Filler Plate (from Brownells) in the frame to take up the space occupied by the Series 80 leverage bars

Installed a Wilson Titanium Firing Pin (.065" tip) with a Wolff Heavy Duty Firing Pin Spring

No adjustment necessary on the stock Extractor (EGW Heavy Duty)

Installed a Wilson Bullet Proof Slide Stop

Lightly Polished Barrel Feed Ramp with a very small amount of Jewelers rouge and a Dremel tool with a felt polishing pad

Lightly Polished the top end of the Disconnector, and the bottom face that contacts the back of the trigger

Lightly Polished the top edge of the Sear (using a polishing block used for finger nails)

Lightly Polished the face of Hammer

Lightly Polished the contact points of the Grip Safety arm

Lightly Polished the back face, top and bottom arms of the trigger bow

Installed a Wolff 16# Hammer Spring

Installed a EGW Titanium MSH Cap

Installed TechWell "TGO-IPSC" Magwell (Black), with their Black Diamond G10 Grips

Installed a Wilson SS Extended Mag Release with a slightly reduced weight release spring

Lubed the Rails, Inner part of Bushing, Outer Barrel, and Lugs using "Gun Butter"

Later, I may install a higher quality Sear, Disconnector, and Hammer from either Wilson or Harrison

It now feels like its running on ball bearings. The trigger break is now smooth, crisp and approximately 3.5 lbs. The gun has run flawlessly in practice using "Tripp Corey Mags 10mm", shooting MG 180gr CMJ loaded to 1.180" with a 171 Power Factor. The real test will come when I shoot it in an actual match. I may wait to get this Para in match until after the Area 6 match in April. Overall, and so far, I'm very pleased with the Para Pro Comp 40. Also, the adjustable rear sight and fiber optic front have a great "feel" and sight picture. The width of the front sight is a perfect match to the notch on the rear sight, and the fiber diameter is small enough to not "Halo" and distract. If you don't like the Fiber Optic front, Dawson Precision makes a solid Black front sight for a Para, with options for height and width.

Thompson

exactly what I would do if I had one!

Thanks for the info :)

If I had done this first, maybe I wouldn't have had my problem. But at the time i saw no reason to replace these parts. The rest of the list is very close to what I will be doing in the long run. I just wanted to make sure it ran reliably before I started to change a bunch of stuff.