Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

49th Ed. Lyman manual

jayhkr

Ok, so I'm getting closer and closer to getting all my pieces ordered so I can start my venture on to reloading. Picked up the 49th Edition Lyman Reloading manual tonight and perused through it to the 9mm section......I don't get it. There are only 9 different bullet types listed and none of them are close to what I have. I bought the 124gr plated round nose from snscasting.com Closest they show in the manual is the 125gr jacketed hollow point bullet. I thought what I purchased was pretty standard, so why isn't it listed in here? I know I need to get another manual forgive me for not running across town to pick one up, but it's 2* outside and I was lucky to just get out once. Was this a waste of money on this manual and should I just return it for something else? 9mm will be the only caliber I load, at least in ANY foreseeable future. Hints, tips, suggestions!?

Thanks

Just purchased the 49th.....also got the Pistol & Revolver Handbook. It lists 12 different bullets for the 9mm; but they're either TMJ/FMJ or Lead. IIRC, those here that are using the plated cast bullets recommended starting out with specs for straight lead rounds.

Also have several other recent manuals, and don't remember seeing dedicated specs for the plated rounds. Lyman has always been a big proponent of casting/using lead, and that was my primary reason for getting the P&R manual.

A search here at the forum should turn up some reliable data! I would think extrapolating starting data for a 120-125gr lead should give you something to consider. Hope you've already found powder!!!

Good luck.

HR

Edited by HOGRIDER

I found more practical and correct reloading information on this one site than all the loading manuals on my shelf. It's free and everyone seems rather eager to share it with you. Take the manual back, as long as you are here you won't need it.

jayhkr:

There you go! Good advice!

;)

Edited by HOGRIDER

Thanks guys, just was going off ALL the info given to me and the first then it seemed everyone said was "GET A GOOD MANUAL OR TWO THEN READ IT TEN TIMES" But I was thinking the same thing that most information can be found on most websites. I have read a few books ON reloading and understand what it takes to start reloading. Trust me, I get the importance of safety, I used to make fireworks as a hobby when I was younger and I have the UP MOST respect for things that go bang and and even MORE respect for things that go BOOM. But I do appreciate the feedback in looking at data for lead bullets and working from there. As soon as I get some powder in hand I'll do some research then ask more questions. I have tomorrow off, so I might just make a bunch of phone calls around the area and see if anyone has anything. As much as I would LOVE to buy 8 pounds right away, I also want to experiment just a little too. (I know beggars can't be choosers) but I also don't want to waste money (and powder) on something that won't meet my need. I was told to call Cabela's every day after 1430 to see if UPS delivers anything. Few other places I might try too. Thanks again!

Ed, you can't go wrong with N320 or WW231 powder, if you can find any.

But, there are half dozen other powders that are good for 9mm minor -

I presume you're loading the 124 grain bullets in a 9mm case at c 1050 fps?

I'd start by spending half hour reading the section (forum) here on

"reloading - 9mm" - you'll get LOT more info than in a reloading

book.

Once you've found a powder that's available, you can get some free advice

here ....

If you're loading 9mm minor, you are in very little danger of blowing yourself

or your gun up, unless you don't put powder in a case, get a bullet seat

itself in your barrel, and you fire a live round behind it.

Good luck .... :cheers:

If you are looking for advice on "How to reload" then the manuals are important and you should have one and read it 10 times. If you are just looking for good competitions loads you will find more information specifically for these loads here. I lurked here for years without making a single post but I found the loads for the game here were second to none so it really all depends on what you are looking for. If you are new to reloading then yes, keep the manual for a reference but as far as comp loads go, you are in the right place. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask......

My Lee manual shows 14 different powders for a 124g plated bullet. Tell me what powder you're planning to use and if there's a listing for it I'll post the recipe for you.

I am probably going to order Bullseye unless I can find 231 at the gun show this weekend. I appreciate the help!

Ed, you can't go wrong with N320 or WW231 powder, if you can find any.

But, there are half dozen other powders that are good for 9mm minor -

I presume you're loading the 124 grain bullets in a 9mm case at c 1050 fps?

I'd start by spending half hour reading the section (forum) here on

"reloading - 9mm" - you'll get LOT more info than in a reloading

book.

Once you've found a powder that's available, you can get some free advice

here ....

If you're loading 9mm minor, you are in very little danger of blowing yourself

or your gun up, unless you don't put powder in a case, get a bullet seat

itself in your barrel, and you fire a live round behind it.

Good luck .... :cheers:

Yeah, I've been looking pretty hard for 231, but it's just a waiting game now. Could had gotten some n310 but decided against it as I heard it can be dicey for new reloaders. I have read the pages as far back as January 2013 so I have spent quite a bit of time here! Thank you!

If you are looking for advice on "How to reload" then the manuals are important and you should have one and read it 10 times. If you are just looking for good competitions loads you will find more information specifically for these loads here. I lurked here for years without making a single post but I found the loads for the game here were second to none so it really all depends on what you are looking for. If you are new to reloading then yes, keep the manual for a reference but as far as comp loads go, you are in the right place. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask......

I've read multiple"how to's" now I'm looking for data more or less. I think I'll return the book and get my data info from the mfg websites and you fine folks here! Thank you all!!

You might be on the lookout for other popular powders that are seen here and work well with the bullets you have chosen just incase your search for BE and 231 don't get any results.

N320

Solo 1000

SR-7625

WST

WSF

e3

RamShot Competition

700X

Titegroup

Unique

Any of these will work with your bullets so don't pass them up if you spot them.

+10 on keeping the book for learning purposes but finding your competition load advice here.

I can remember very clearly asking at the local reloading shop what I do when my exact bullet profile and weight isn't listed, hehehe. Fact is, I can count on one hand the number of time's I've loaded the exact bullet from the book. But you learn pretty quick that the MG 124 HP bullet profile is effectively the same as an equivalent Hornady, etc. For a total newbie (sorry, no insult meant there) I would just say to be very careful about the COAL you use when picking bullets that are close enough. Even though the bullet weight may be the same, if the bullet profile on one is .020 longer than the other that will cause it to seat .020 deeper into the case than the one the recipe was designed for. And internal case pressures are a big deal.

Edited by ttolliver

Oh, and another thought.

You'll also find that most of the companies that publish load data books have their same data on the internet. The Lyman books are a big exception, but worth every penny if you dabble in cast bullets. They go much deeper into cast bullet data than any other published source.

At any rate, unless you just like having a reference library there's very little need to buy most of those published books just for the recipes.

Good deal, thanks again. Maybe after I get some much needed experience under my belt I'll get into casting. I have most of the required equipment anyway as I have a small online business selling fishing weights. Just need to get my hands on a little tin to harden the lead up a bit (or use the dunk method I guess too) Plus I'll want to get an aftermarket barrel as my stock Glock barrel won't like lead bullets going through it to much. But it's on the list of things to do by maybe next Christmas!!

Ok, so I'm getting closer and closer to getting all my pieces ordered so I can start my venture on to reloading. Picked up the 49th Edition Lyman Reloading manual tonight and perused through it to the 9mm section......I don't get it. There are only 9 different bullet types listed and none of them are close to what I have. I bought the 124gr plated round nose from snscasting.com Closest they show in the manual is the 125gr jacketed hollow point bullet. I thought what I purchased was pretty standard, so why isn't it listed in here? I know I need to get another manual forgive me for not running across town to pick one up, but it's 2* outside and I was lucky to just get out once. Was this a waste of money on this manual and should I just return it for something else? 9mm will be the only caliber I load, at least in ANY foreseeable future. Hints, tips, suggestions!?

Thanks

Get the Lee second edition, best on the market and ill 2nd ,getting advice here on the 9mm forums

My Lee manual shows 14 different powders for a 124g plated bullet. Tell me what powder you're planning to use and if there's a listing for it I'll post the recipe for you.

Zack:

You've struck my curiosity of the Lee Manual..........how's the data for 147g lead and/or plated?

Thanks!

HR

Thanks

Consider it worthwhile if you still need to learn how and why on reloading, 'plus a bit of load data.'

If you're a PV customer, you can add mfgr load data books for free to any order (ignore it claiming it's HazMat if you aren't also ordering HazMat items, they won't charge you.)

Pick up a 'Loadbooks USA' for whatever caliber(s) you load for - no 'how to' articles,' just more or less a combined copy of load data from most manuals (powder, bullet mfgrs) in one place, and cheap.

I am probably going to order Bullseye unless I can find 231 at the gun show this weekend. I appreciate the help!

for 124g it only lists bullseye and/or 231 for the following:

124 XTP

Bullseye start 3.9g max 4.4g, OAL 1.120

For 125g Jacketed it lists

W231 start 4.4, max 4.8, OAL 1.090

Hope this helps get you started. Start low work up slowly, look both ways before crossing the street, etc :).

I would hold onto the Lyman book as it gives pressure data that others do not, and like others have said, bullets with similar profiles will have similar loadings. Just start low at a bit less than mid range for auto pistols and work up from there.

All manuals give us reloaders a starting point to develop our own loads for our own gun. If you are shooting competitive that is a must since what works in someone's gun might not be as good for yours. You need a good constant reference ( manual ) a chrono and the valuable information provided by experienced reloaders here or other forums.

I reload different calibers and is nice to have manuals in fact the Lee and Lyman fill my needs for manuals.