Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone know stuff about RV travel or camping?

so I'm thinking about trying to travel by RV for a change. I hate to fly, it's not fun at all, even a little. But a nice little RV thing with a warm bed and clean place to poop sounds like it might be a fun alternative. I think having a small one might make shooting major matches more fun, too. You don't have to worry about hotels and stuff, and a camp fire and a beer after the match sounds much better than a 4 hour drive.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to try renting one, so I could spend a little money before committing a whole ton to it. We want to either try the area around Dallas, heading to Lake Texoma or down to the beach, but if anyone has ideas for a good weekend get away to try, I'd be happy to hear it. We like camping, so I'm used to and pretty equipped to living minimally, but I'm too old to sleep on a hot rock.

Basically, if anyone could let me know about their thoughts or experiences of RVing, or point me to some beginner resources I'd really appreciate it.

Steve

my thought is that I don't want the expense and trouble of both a big truck and a tow behind. Also, I want to be able to be in the bay area with the dog while the Mrs drives. I don't think I'm too worried about the interior size, I like to be and live outside whenever possible.

We've been RV'ing for about 14 years now and have had both motorhomes and now a trailer. There is no right or wrong one as it depends upon your lifestyle and it will probably change over the years. Much like a gun, you'll probably go through a couple before you find the right one and then you'll customize it...another fun (expensive) hobby!

I have a blog that deals mostly with RV'ing and have a post http://rvschooner.com?p=182 that highlights our decision process between a trailer and a motorhome.

My wife and I were big backpackers so it was a big ego hit to get an RV. A pop up was our compromise - with the mesh walls it still feels like you are outside (the view and the breeze) but is out of weather and comfortable. But we are on the minimalist end of the spectrum!

It also fits in the garage!

Sold all my recreational vehicles. We have a small pickup for long weekends and vacations. Luxury camping :) Beautiful R.E.I. two room tent, self Iinflating sleeping pads on good cots...I sleep like a dead man. Lug-a-loo in the solar powered shower. Wife is scared of bear. (So am I) witch means the dog (an AMSTAF) and a carbine ( 300 blackout ) tag along. We're out at least once a month and really love it. Very low hassle.

We started RVing for our annual NASCAR pilgrimages to Texas Motor Speedway. IMHO if your going somewhere for 3 or more days its a winner. We have been renting the 2 slide out versions. They sleep 6 with ease and 8 with some creativity. Only issue is once you get her set and level you don't want to move it, so towing a small vehicle, jeep, is preferable. They are also loud with rattles and bangs going down the Highway.

We are going to convert to a hard side pop up. So I can tow it with my Dakota. They are pricey but worth the cash. Also, there are rental places where you lease out your personal rv when you aren't using it. While rented is covered by the companies insurance and you get first dibs when you want it. Then you get a cut of the rental fee.

Cruise America does the own and rent, and the pull behind we are looking at is:

http://www.trailmanor.com/

Edited by OUshooter

They seem to be like boats around here. Lot's of people have them but they never use them. All they do is sit in the driveway!

I only say this because you can probably find a like new used one if look around.