Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 in .40

funshooting

Hi all. I've been shooting production in USPSA for about a year with a Glock 17 and Beretta Elite 2. But I got a thirst to try a single stack 1911 in L10 division.

However, I'd prefer to shoot .40SW rather than .45ACP. I'm not yet handloading and am not very handy. So, .40 factory ammo is much cheaper and slightly less recoil based on my reading.

The only quality manufacturer that I can find that sells a Single Stack 1911 in .40 is Kimber (Custome or Gold Match). Kimber seems to sell a very good pistol...so I'm happy with that.

So, at long last, here are my 2 questions:

1) I can't find any 10 round magazines that single stack for .40. Are there quality mags made for this? Where?

2) Other postings suggest that the Single Stack .40 is not very reliable unless you handload and "customize" the dimensions...not going to work for me as I'm not handy and not handloading.

I don't want a double stack (like the Para) because I have smaller hands...I have a difficult time shooting double action with my Beretta.

Any help would be appreciated.

If a Glock 35 will fit your hands, you could have a familiar gun to move into L-10 with. The magazines can be downloaded for L-10 or you can add basepads and also shoot in Limited with the same gun. Factory 40's should easily make minimum power factor.

You can use Wilson or McCormick 10 rd .45 mags. Both fed flawlessly in my Kimber 40. I did load the bullets out to 1.200". I have "heard" that the Trojans use a cast frame. Not sure if this is true. If so I would prefer a Kimber. If not it is a toss IMO. The Ed Brown/Metalform 10 round mags work also. They are just too long for my tastes.

I use the Tripp "CobraMags" in the 10 round variety as well and some 9 round McCormick mags. They all feed flawlessly in my Kimber Gold Match. I'd recommend the Kimber. Mine has been great and eats any ammo I through at it (as long as it fits the case gauge - tight chamber).

You can use Wilson or McCormick 10 rd .45 mags. Both fed flawlessly in my Kimber 40. I did load the bullets out to 1.200".

The CMC mags feed a shade "iffy" on the top round or two if you don't "load long" and just shoot factory .40 ammo. I use them with my .40, but that top round will sometimes nosedive into the ramp on a full mag (not usually, but the feeding isn't 100%). FWIW, a ten round .45 mag will hold 11 rounds of .40 but won't feed the 11th round off a full mag without a nosedive into the ramp.

Trick, will your Kimber with 10 round Cobra mags fit into an IDPA box? I have heard the ones with a plain base pad will.

Joe D,

I'm not sure if my Kimber with 10 round cobra mags will fit in an IDPA legal box. I use a 9mm 1911 for IDPA.

I have a Kimber Gold Match in .40 which does not reliably feed factory flat point ball from the Tripp Cobra mags (which are for 10mm/.40, and may well work great with ammo loaded "long"). Factory ammo in my gun prefers a magazine which is "shorter" front to rear than a 10mm magazine.

So far my best/only reliable magazine for the .40 single stack is the Metalform .40 SW magazine. Mine is an eight round magazine but they come in 10 round magazines now also, I see on their website.

Good luck,

Tim

back to the thread, I think you are going about things the long way.

Just FWIW and for expandability in the future, I think an S_I with thinned grip and short trigger makes as good a small hand pistol as any single stack out there.

On the other hand I have owned several 1911's in .40. I bought a Springfield "Loaded" a couple of years back and it ran great. Their custom service and support for our sport is miles better than Kimber, and you get as much gun for about 15% less model for model.

As to good 10 round mags, you've got me.

Just one guys opinion.

I watched Don Golembieski at Kodiak Precision shoot his single stack SV .40. This occurred over several days and he put about 1500 rounds through it. It ran perfectly as you would expect from a GM who is a master gunsmith.

I have seen a Dave Dawson single stack .40 and it runs great.

So a reliable single stack .40 can be made.

JP has a mag release which sets the round up higher in the gun which aids in reliable feeding.

Tripp CobraMags are 10 round, .40 mags that seem to be the answer to everyone's mag issues.

I own a Trojan in .45. I have replaced all the fire controls and slide stop. The rear sight was breaking pins left and right for the longest time. STI replaced the pins. It is more accurate than most guns at twice the price. The barrel cracked and it was replace FOC. The gun is more accurate then when I first got it. Chris S. at STI is a great guy. His service responsiveness is superior.

My next gun will probably be a SV single stack from Kodiak Precision. Otherwise, I would seriously consider STI. The price is right and they stand behind their product.

Buy a Trojan, JP mag release, and Tripp Mags and you will have a real shooter-total cost about $1000.

I have a Custom built Single stack .40 S&W. Living in California (No Caspian) we started with a Springfield Mil-Spec for the frame. And built from there, Caspian slide, KKM barrel, etc. It was set-up for ammo loaded long. Shot about 5000 rounds of "long" loads. Once the Little Women started shooting a Glock 35, I went back to "standard" length loads to make the reloading easier. I have shoot about 10,000 rounds of the "standard" length, no problems of any kind.

I use Tripp 9 and 10 rounds. Tripp magazines are the only way to go!

I own a Trojan in .45. I have replaced all the fire controls and slide stop. The rear sight was breaking pins left and right for the longest time. STI replaced the pins. It is more accurate than most guns at twice the price.

Been there, done that on the sight pins. The permanent cure for sight pin breakage: go to Home Depot with your calipers and you will find a bright steel finishing nail maybe a thousandth thicker than those brittle steel pins. You have to file the center "groove" in the nail where the internal sping snaps in. You also may have to leave the pin a shade long and taper one end to help install (that taper will push the spring over and let it snap into the groove). A couple of hours work for a bulletproof solution.

All, thanks for the help.

I went to the range last night and rented a Sig226 in .40...I actually liked the .40 better than 9mm...probably because I'm more familiar with shooting a G17. I found the recoil in the heavier Sig really no worse than the much lighter G17.

I also got to hold a Single Stack 1911. Nice fit for my hands...thnking very seriously about the STI Trojan in .40.

Thanks again.

I think my biggest beef with kimber is them not supporting the sport, no sponsored shooters, and refusing to b uild their polymer in a 40 when begged by a very reputable GM who is a kimber master dealer. Springfield, STI (lots of people besides masters win STI contingency stuff) and caspian all do a lot to support our sport.