Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Metric target at the WSXIV?

In the rulebook there are two different types of targets, the metric (old) and the smaller classic (new).

Why don't they use the metric target anymore at the main events?

If the USA still uses the metric, why is it not possible to use the metric again at the WSXIV?

Because "Other Countries" Ministers Of Sport would immediately ban IPSC shooting in those countries if they saw their shooters shooting at "humanoid" targets. Or so we've been told.

Even before the Classic was invented (or rather, borrowed from the Rifle targets), several countries had to do perverse things to their Metric targets in order to keep shooting at them.

We've already gone over this a few times, and we really don't need another Metric-Vs-Classic thread, so please contribute meaningfully to the topic at hand "Metric at WS XIV" only.

Because "Other Countries" Ministers Of Sport would immediately ban IPSC shooting in those countries if they saw their shooters shooting at "humanoid" targets. Or so we've been told.

Even before the Classic was invented (or rather, borrowed from the Rifle targets), several countries had to do perverse things to their Metric targets in order to keep shooting at them.

We've already gone over this a few times, and we really don't need another Metric-Vs-Classic thread, so please contribute meaningfully to the topic at hand "Metric at WS XIV" only.

I'll stick the relevant facts and skip the usual editorial:

Some regions have stated they will not attend a WS if the Metric target is used.

No regions have stated they will not attend a WS if the Metric target is not used.

I am a US shooter and I voted for classic because it is a World shoot and most of the rest of the world shoots classic targets. However I am not going so that vote doesn't mean much. But I can't get the match director of my local club to even try 1 stage with classic targets because he is afraid that local politico's might find out that other targets are available.

Because "Other Countries" Ministers Of Sport would immediately ban IPSC shooting in those countries if they saw their shooters shooting at "humanoid" targets.  Or so we've been told.

As I heard from General Assembly in Bali. There are some countries in Europe and may be Australia have this problem, not ALL OTHER COUNTRIES.

In Thai IPSC matches. Sometimes we use CLC vs CLM classify courses.

Personally I would not like to see the targets mixed at WSXIV. It would look...unprofessional (for the lack of a better word). Due to the political circumstances around or great sport I would also like to see classic targets used before we use metrics. The WS is a big public and media covered event. So all efforts to keep it as "correct" as possible to make the future easier should be made.

MHO