Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Singlestack in .40 or .45?

Forensics Doc

I've seen several posts saying that in terms of getting a gun to run the order of reliability goes (from first to worst): singlestack .45, doublestack .40, singlestack .40, doublestack .45. Although the posts hint at the magazine as being the chink in the armor, I've never seen a definitive answer as to WHY this is so. Can someone elighten me?

That said, what is the general feeling out there about singlestack .40s in terms of getting them to run? As one who is more comfortable with a scalpel than with most things mechanical, the last thing I want is endless tinkering with a singlestack .40 trying to get it to run if, in fact, a caliber change to .45 would have been a better option.

Doc,

I think each gun stands on its own, and most of the solutions to the problems are readily available. I have a single stack .40 that runs flawless. I load my ammo to 1.14325 OAL, and that addresses the magazine reliability issue. You can load even longer if you like. My gun has had no work done to it for reliability, it has just always run. I do know of others that have the opposite experience, but the fixes can easily be sought here on the forum from your peers, or with any of the gunsmiths that are here on the forum.

With that said, the .45 is also a good option. Lighter loads can be shot in it and still make major. There are a lot more parts and mags to choose from. There are a lot more guns available too.

I would recommend shooting both if you can, and decide for yourself what seems like the best option. If money is no object, then you can get exactly what you want, and it will run from the beginning.

My $.02 worth.

I load my ammo to 1.14325 OAL, and that addresses the magazine reliability issue.

fomeister - you gotta tell me where you got a set of calipers that can measure down to a hundred-thousandth of an inch!! I *need* those suckers!!! :)

Dave

I load my ammo to 1.14325 OAL, and that addresses the magazine reliability issue.

fomeister - you gotta tell me where you got a set of calipers that can measure down to a hundred-thousandth of an inch!! I *need* those suckers!!! :)

Dave

Forge the calipers - what I need is a seating die that generates that sort of repeatable prevision

back to the thread before things really get out of control, I have shot and owned several .40's both high cap and single stack.

For me, and your results may vary, my skinny .45's and fat .40's are both reliable enough I would bet on them. The Factory Springfield .40 (and .45) I owned were both 100% percent reliable rightout of the box.

The custom frame up .40 skinny gun I had built took some load tweaking to make it run slick, but out around 1.165 - 1.235 it runs just fine. I have heard some .40 skinnies like spacers if you want to run factory length ammo.

Mine feeds the long stuff from Wilson .45 mags right nicely thanks...

Seems to me that the .45 Mags are more reliable, and much more available. However, the .40's are getting better, and catching up fast. If you already have a gun in one of the two calibers, that would be the one I would go with, just to keep things simple.