Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightest 45 ACP loads ?

Hammer1

What are the lightest recoiling 45 ACP target loads for use in a full-size 1911 ?

With the proper recoil spring and using 155-grain LSWC bullets, are there 650 fps loads which will reliably function the 1911 ?

Not looking for self-defense loads or IPSC loads, just something that will cycle the 1911, poke a hole in paper, and not ricochet off the paper and hurt the shooter.

Have heard that back in the days of yore when dinosaurs roamed the earth, just a few specs of Bullseye was used in Colt Gold Cups and National Match pistols to shoot perfect scores at Camp Perry.

Edited by Hammer1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are looking just to punch holes with a full size 1911 frame why not use a 22LR conversion? Way cheaper to shoot in the long run if you can find 22LR...

You also might find that downloading a heavier bullet is a good option and will use even less powder than a lighter bullet. I once had a friend do some loads for me with 230 lead RN's and that were only doing about 650 fps and they felt like the recoil from a 9mm without the snap.

Try the lightest load data you have for the heavier bullets and you may be surprised....

Right now, for me at least, it is cheaper to load and shoot 45 acp than to go through all the hassle of finding 22 LR ammo, Plus I don't find the idea of spending $400.00 for a Marvel conversion appealing at all. Might as well buy another gun. You can get some pretty wussy recoil springs for 1911s. All that's left is to do your load development.

• 1 month later...