Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bolt release extentions?

Nebwake

Two questions; first, can you run these in 3Gun (tac ops) and second what is better the Magpul BAD or the Phase 5 Tactical Extended Bolt Release V2 (the one that tottally replaces the stock bolt catch/release). Thanks!

Personally, and this is only my opinion, I think the BAD levers and stuff are really cool. But, on my 3 gun rifle, I try for 3 things, simple, simple, and simple. I figure if I've dumped an entire mag at something, my stage is done anyway and a gadget isn't going to bail me out. But, YMMV.

That is true, not sure I want to learn a new manual of arms, Ive spent the last 15 years without an extended bolt release as a Mil shooter, so... They look cool though, are they ok to run in divisions lower than open?

Edited by Nebwake

That is true, not sure I want to learn a new manual of arms, Ive spent the last 15 years without an extended bolt release as a Mil shooter, so... They look cool though, are they ok to run in divisions lower than open?

The BAD lever does not change your "manual of Arms" . The bolt catch still functions and operates in exactly the same manner as without it. It simply gives you more options. But like anything you must learn to use it proficiently to realize any benefit from it. I find it especially helpful for empty gun starts. It is allowed in tac optic.

I bought a BAD and really liked how well it functioned in general but I read a lot about issues with the added mass when running low mass bolt carriers and adjustable gas. It apparently takes some extra tuning to get the bolt to lock reliably. The lighter the extension the more likely it is to function reliably with a low mass.

With mag capacities being what they are I felt that I would rather error on he side of reliability but if you are running full mass and in the market I will happily sell you mine.

The BAD lever does not change your "manual of Arms" . The bolt catch still functions and operates in exactly the same manner as without it. It simply gives you more options. But like anything you must learn to use it proficiently to realize any benefit from it. I find it especially helpful for empty gun starts. It is allowed in tac optic.

^^^^^ 100% agree.

What mpeltier says.. works great for me. I use the magpul bad lever and works perfect. Any problem mags or empties can be switched quickly. Not that the normal bolt release isn't but in a game of shaving seconds or minutes in my case it works for me

I bought a BAD and really liked how well it functioned in general but I read a lot about issues with the added mass when running low mass bolt carriers and adjustable gas. It apparently takes some extra tuning to get the bolt to lock reliably. The lighter the extension the more likely it is to function reliably with a low mass.

With mag capacities being what they are I felt that I would rather error on he side of reliability but if you are running full mass and in the market I will happily sell you mine.

I currently use a BAD lever on two rifles with JP LMOS carriers and adjustable gas and have never had an issue with the reliability. Ive had them on several rifles long gone that also had no issues. The bolt catch spring and perhaps the dimensions of the reciever hole of the spring channel bieng out of spec could cause issues I suppose but either could be easily remedied.

I ran a BAD lever for a while, more out of curiosity than anything, but the extra mass sometimes caused the rifle to not lock open on an empty mag so I removed it. I haven't missed it either... in 3-Gun we should NEVER be running the rifle dry, nor should we be having malfunctions that require the bolt to be locked open. Use practice sessions and local matches to debug your guns/mags/ammo so that you don't need such widgets. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thats a good point stealth. I really do like the KISS approach to things, esp on game guns. Being new to 3 gun I would also like to save a few bucks since ive already dropped a mint on the rifle, dies, brass, ect... Still need to get a shotgun that I dont mind dumping into the bin as I really dont want to dump my Browning gold or A5 (both wood upland guns)! THink Ill grab up a stoger M3000 or maybe an old rem 1100.

I have used the BAD lever for years with no lock back issues, but I do not run a low mass/low gas system, which may have something to do with it. I recently built a new short, lightweight AR and used a Phase 5. The fact that it is a single piece, well made and skeletonized for reduced mass, was appealing, and it's run fine so far. My next two builds, however, are going to use this:

w_gen2ambi-11.jpg

That's an integral, fully ambi bolt catch/release, with a shorter lever arm than a BAD/Phase 5, which should minimize lockback issues. It also gets the ambi control out of the trigger guard (that ought to appeal to those who object to the BAD lever because of its placement) but not so far as to make it hard to use. The ambi bolt lever can be bought separately and retrofitted onto a standard lower with just a little bit of Dremel work. A buddy of mine has already done just that and likes the result a lot.

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/lower-receivers/ar15-ambidextrous-lower-receiver-gen-2.html

Edited by CJW