Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5" XD or 5.25" XDM?

ignantmike

I'd go XDm. I have an XD 4" 45 and love it but after handling the XDm I think grip feels even better. Unfortunately I haven't fired an XD in 9mm or any XDm so I can't comment on the trigger personally but have read comparisons that show the XDm has a better stock trigger. Having said all of that, if $$$ is an issue the XD would still be a good pistol for a little less money.

I shoot IDPA with a XDm .40 5.25" in ESP and the 5.25" 45XDm in CDP(Expert). I've found them to be anvil reliable and very accurate. Both competition guns are Powder River Precision triggers and odds and ends of internal goodies. The 40 S&W was bought as a whole ready to compete gun. I also have the 4.5" version of both guns with night sights for night/ no-light matches as well s home defense. Recently bought 9mm and 45acp XDs's for carry. Yea, I like the platform!

I shoot IDPA with a XDm .40 5.25" in ESP and the 5.25" 45XDm in CDP(Expert). I've found them to be anvil reliable and very accurate. Both competition guns are Powder River Precision triggers and odds and ends of internal goodies. The 40 S&W was bought as a whole ready to compete gun. I also have the 4.5" version of both guns with night sights for night/ no-light matches as well s home defense. Recently bought 9mm and 45acp XDs's for carry. Yea, I like the platform!

i'm thinking you do like the platform........

I feel you there, I started with Glocks...had 4 of em, then M&P's (4 of them) and in between those, 5 XDM's, always was searching for that something that felt perfect for me, and then in the end realized it was the XDM platform. So I sold everything else and run those now!

(Well almost just those, I have a Tanfoglio problem now too LOL)

All other things being equal, the XDm is the way to go. They're both good platforms, but for a competition gun the XDm is pretty hard to beat out of the box. I carry a 4" XD, which I've owned since they first started selling them and It's a good size, but I shoot an XDm 5.25 9mm for everything else.

o.k I picked it up and was curious about the "leg" on the firing pin.....not sure what its called.....its the angled portion of the firing pin in the slide that engages the sear.....is this part hardened?....this one seams to show some wear on it that doesn't look like a glock's.....this is the only thing I can compare it to.....i'll try to post a pic later

o.k I picked it up and was curious about the "leg" on the firing pin.....not sure what its called.....its the angled portion of the firing pin in the slide that engages the sear.....is this part hardened?....this one seams to show some wear on it that doesn't look like a glock's.....this is the only thing I can compare it to.....i'll try to post a pic later

I couldn't imagine that not bieng hardened to some degree. What degree I can't say but in the world of sear engagement too hard is as bad as too soft. A little initial wear is nothing to worry about as its probably mostly finish wear from the new parts maybee having a bur or sharp machined surface that will wear itself in. I deburred mine and polished it gently when new and now a couple years later still looks the same.

• 1 month later...