Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 slide won't come off

WillM

I feel kind of dumb, but I've never had this happen before. Slide is stuck on frame of Kimber Target 2 9mm and I can't budge it.

Bushing is off, guide rod, spring and barrel are loose but slide is hanging up on something on frame and will not move in either direction. I've turned it upside down, wiggled it, jiggled it, pushed down on disconnector with small screwdriver, everything but pound on it. I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

Hard to explain but it's not sticking like it's too dry, more that it's hanging up on something like the ejector or the disconnector - I can wiggle it just enough to hear it contacting something metallic.

Thanks foe all the suggestions - keep me coming.

Sarge the BFH is the first thing that occurred to me but I'm trying to keep calm!

So I lightly tapped the rear of the slide with a nylon hammer and it popped off but now I've got a gun I don't understand. What was holding the frame from moving was a pin sticking up from a hole in the frame which seems to have some type of interaction with the grip safety and with a spring loaded "push-button" in the slide. I had to hold this button in in order to get the firing pin stop and the firing pin out.

Is this the Series 80 safety or something Kimber came up with? I've got two 2011s and three 1911s in addition to this (new to me) one and I've never seen this "feature". So how do I reassemble the gun? When I put the slid on it locked up again. I know for a fact that John Browning did not intend his creation to need a hammer for assembly!

Do a Google search regarding Kimber's Schwartz safety. The vertical pin you mention is easy to shear off if the slide is put back on with the Schwartz safety in the wrong condition. Just reading about the problem the other day.

Pat

See if you can covert it to a 70 series gun. I'm sure Brownell's has a video on it. Every 1911 I own has been done and it really simplifies the gun and gives a much nicer trigger pull.

Edited by mgardner

Gripping grip safety does not lower Schwartz pin projecting out of top of slide which seems to be the problem. First thing I did was google series 80 safety because I'd heard of that but never Schwartz... Googling Schwartz I found plenty on how to disable it but not how to fix my problem without completely removing it which seems to entail destroying the rear sight which I don't want to do.

At this point I'll detail strip frame and remove Schwartz safety pin, then replace firing pin with a nonKimber one which effectively disables it. This still leaves the slide detent button under spring pressure which could slow or interfere with smooth slide operation but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

FYI - I originally searched this forum and google before I posted and found only one related post from a guy who couldn't get his .22 conversion slide off a Kimber frame but there was no resolution on that thread which is why I'm posting this. I have field and detail stripped 1911s many times with no problems and was completely baffled by this problem so if anyone ever hears of anything like this again, think Schwartz. Thanks for all of the replies.