Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited...super long reset

cpa5oh

I just got a Limited and am working on turning it into my gun for the Limited USPSA division. It's got an EGW sear, EGW hammer, lighter plunger spring, 14# hammer spring, Henning flat trigger...trigger breaks at 2.5lbs...but the reset is AWFULLY long. Longer than my Match (which is pretty short, stock)...a lot longer. I'm going to eventually send it out to a gunsmith to get the trigger made to be the best it can be...but anyone know what the cause of the ultra-long reset is? I had thought it was the sear, modifying which probably would've been beyond my capabilities. But I just threw my Match sear/cage into the Limited and the reset was LONGER. And with the EGW sear in the Match the reset was even shorter than the Match with the stock Match sear.

Anybody have any thoughts on what could cause ridiculously long reset? It's so bad that when I showed it to shooting buddies they were surprised how bad it was.

Edited by cpa5oh

Okay I'll do that tomorrow night and report back...figured I was gonna have to swap things around a bit to find the culprit. Pretty sure it's not the flat trigger system - reset was real long before installing that, too.

I swapped trigger bars between my Match and the Limited - no difference. Then I played with the adjustments on the trigger - I got it to where the reset is about 1/4" (which is better than it was)...is that about as good as I'm going to get? Guys with Limiteds - what are you getting? Seems my CZ Shadow and K100 have about half the reset...

I did - hammer, sear, trigger bar...I think that basically the Limited feels about the same as the Match except that reset isn't as positive (same length - but the trigger doesn't reset as hard) and the break of the trigger is a little more clean than the Limited. I was hoping that, with all the aftermarket parts, that the Limited would have the short reset my CZ and K100 have, and that hasn't happened. Thinking I'm going to buy some extra EGW sears and start cutting and trying them to see what effect I get. That and I'm going to order the Tactical Sport Monday :-)

I worked on my EGW for a while yesterday and got this for reset now:

I was kind of making changes and then seeing what the result was as I went...so the result was a narrower and shorter bottom sear leg. I didn't touch anything else about the sear because I didn't want to end up with a gun that could go full auto or any other problems...and I still don't know how this is going to work in live fire. I know it feels pretty good to me, though, in dry fire...

Seems to me that you might be able to shorten the reset further by narrowing the space on the trigger bar that contacts the lower sear leg, but from looking at it, I've no idea how I'd get anything in that position to stone/sand it.

I've no idea how I'd get anything in that position to stone/sand it.

I use a popsicle stick with fine sand paper wrapped around it to get in tight spots; a nail file for babies works too.

Yeah...this is a trailing edge of the trigger bar that kind of has a contour...I'll post a picture of it next time I have it out. And I ordered the Tactical Sport yesterday :D