Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Knock off 45* irons?

Nebwake

I have a couple of sets and other than some porosity in the castings (very small bubble holes) they work great. I would generally avoid knock-off stuff but am an infrequent competitor and they were in my price range. One thing is clear after reading some of the reviews, you may get lucky and get a good set or you may get garbage.

I just picked some of these up a couple months ago or so. Glad I bought them. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 45* stuff. They catch on EVERYTHING! Sure glad I didn't spend $200 to figure out I don't want them. I think I'm going to go to a 1-4x scope instead. But for the price I don't see how you can go wrong. I'd offer to sell mine, but I may as well hang on to them as shipping them would cost more than they're worth! LOL.

I say give them a try. They cost less than a full magazine of ammo. At least you'll know if you like the design or not. I don't think I care for them, but YMMV. And I haven't taken them off yet, so maybe they'll grow on me.

-Mike

I just picked some of these up a couple months ago or so. Glad I bought them. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the 45* stuff. They catch on EVERYTHING! Sure glad I didn't spend $200 to figure out I don't want them. I think I'm going to go to a 1-4x scope instead. But for the price I don't see how you can go wrong. I'd offer to sell mine, but I may as well hang on to them as shipping them would cost more than they're worth! LOL.I say give them a try. They cost less than a full magazine of ammo. At least you'll know if you like the design or not. I don't think I care for them, but YMMV. And I haven't taken them off yet, so maybe they'll grow on me.-Mike

you may like them better if you put a white dot of paint or nail polish on the tip of the front sight post.

Yea, I really didn't want to spend the big bucks on something I will not really like, besides, I shoot an NSN ACOG with the irons on top, which I like and am used to, but I would like to make the switch to a 1-4 one of these days when I have some cash handy. Glad they are not total junk, but just like most Chinese knockoff stuff, the QC just isn't there, so as Chevyoneton said, you may get a good one, or you might not be so lucky. Thanks!

There is a guy here in the States that developed and manufactures a really nice set of 45 deg offsets. I think his name is Dueck. They run about $250.

Right and these sights above are a total rip off of the Dueck sights for $25 shipped. It's sort of equivalent to getting a "Rolex" for $20 USD in Mexico...

Yea normally I hate knock off stuff, but the price difference is crazy. I am sure the Dueck's are the kitties ti*** but I don't have that kindof cash. Just tooling up to load .223 in my 550B was enough!

I had the knock off sights. They seemed pretty well made, but I was never able to get them zeroed properly on my rifle. I figure, though, that was more an issue of my forearm geometry than the sights themselves.

I bought some and threw them on my patrol rifle. The front sight post got bent riding around in the trunk of my car. I have since replaced it with a fiber optic unit. So far so good but I only trust them from close range targets. Yes I know the US sights are better but $250 for a set of irons that is secondary to a solid optic. Sorry but that is way too much. I wish there was a alternative that was priced reasonably at around $100.

Pat

They catch on EVERYTHING! Sure glad I didn't spend $200 to figure out I don't want them.

Interesting. I've been using the real $200+ ones for a couple years now, and have never caught them on ANYTHING,

Maybe that's what the extra money is for. :roflol:

Keep in mind, gentlemen, that the knock off sights are a direct copy of a patented product that one of our very own has spent the time and money to develope and produce.

I expect it is quite difficult to sue a Chinese manufacturer for patent infringement.