Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone else having this issue with their Shadow mags?

Nimitz

During my first match with my new Shadow this weekend there were several times when the mags wouldn't drop free & I had to pull them out. When I got home I noticed that if I kept the gun vertical the mags dropped every time but if I canted the gun the mags would not fall ...

With the 3 factory mags they dropped no matter what the position but with the 5 chrome plated 17 rd mags I got from CZC they would only drop when the gun was vertical.

Anyone else have this issue?

I had to take a dremel to the mag release. When I pushed on it hard in competition, it stuck the mag. If I pushed on it easy, they dropped. I didn't have any problems with the chrome or the mecgar just sticking, but I keep the gun vertical for a bit on my reloads anyway.

I would measure the width of the factory versus the chrome plating. Mine shipped with a ton of grease and before I got it off I had similar problems. The chrome plated mags may be just a little wider causing the hang up. Either way get all of the grease out of there then clean it another time for good measure.

I had the same problem when my shadow was new. In my case I thought it was being used to a glock mag release, and either not pushing hard/long enough for the mags to drop, or pushing too hard and hanging the mags with the button side of the release.

I swapped to VZ grips (as I prefer the feel) and the problem disappeared.

I'm still not sure if (1) I modified my technique to suit the new gun subconsciously, (2) the mag release spring softened up or whatever, or (3) the CZ rubber grips projected far enough into the magwell to cause the problem. I suspect the latter.

I put a drop free stainless steel mag brake in mine and polished and rounded the sharp edges on the knobs that center it (they are tapped for the grip screws ). Aluminum or VZ grips help too. Then I replaced the CZ 18 round magazine springs with Wolf 15% plus ones and it kept the top cartridge from sliding out enough to rub the front of them magazine well on it's way out.

it is a new gun and a few little high spots will wear off pretty quick. feralshooter has a good handle on it though. check the grips and also make sure you are not overpressing the mag release button as if you press it too hard the underside of the button holds the mag.

personally I think after a few practice days it'll be gone. :)

thx all. the gun has been cleaned, has VZ grips on it already and +10% mag springs... the comment about pushing the release too hard is interesting as I notice I can hang up the mag if I push too hard as well so that may well be the answer ...

I'll take a look at polishing the knobs that center the mags as well

Anyone use the extended mag release button (is it production legal)? That may help me not to mash the button down so hard ...

Nimitz...if you have a Shadow, then you already have an extended release button. Anything bigger would not be production legal. There's a quick fix to remedy the over-press. If that is indeed the cause of your problem, post it here and I'll share the fix.

Bend the leg as shown. Normally, when the mag release is depressed hard, the "left" leg is then pushed almost all the way to the right, which pins the left side of the release against the mag. When the "right" leg is bent as shown, the "left" leg won't be able to travel as far. And, when you actuate the mag release, you can see how much of that little "tab", on the left side, sticks out or into the magwell.

Cool. I don't remember how that spring looks normally? did you just narrow the gap or did you bend the tips as shown?

Edited by justaute

There is no need to remove the spring from the gun to bend it if you go that way. The screw that retains it is staked and a bastard to get out. You'll want to re-stake or (blue) loctite it when you reinstall it if you do take it out.

I adjusted mine with needle nose pliers mid-match and had no problem adjusting its resistance against the mag button. It didn't help in my case.

FWIW...mine came out relatively easily on both Shadows. I just use blue-loctite when finished. Also, for reference, I went thorough the bend/re-bend process twice -- before re-loctite. If you bend too much, then you'll have to depress the mag-release harder to release the mag; without enough bending, then it won't do you much good.

I think a minor bend is the best in that I would speculate most shooters probably don't depress the mag-release all the way. Of course, I have pretty thick grips that minimize the probability of fully depressing the release. YMMV.

After re-reading the OP it occurred to me that Bunsen probably hit the nail on the head. If the factory mags are not hanging up but the AM ones are, the gun is probably not the problem.

Do you have a vernier caliper you can measure the mags with?

If you can reproduce the problem with the slide off you can probably get a pretty good idea where the mags are dragging. Better to adjust the mags than the gun IMO. A few taps with a soft hammer in the right places might do the trick.

Funny you should say that as my top end is currently with Mink for a new FS and the problem does occur with the slide off ... I'll take a closer look at the mags to see if I can spot the issue ... Thx

thx, I'll look at that. The mags drop free when I hold the gun vertical and don't mash the release too hard. If I tilt the gun to get ready for changing mags the nickel plated ones I bought from CZC hang up but the factory ones that came with the gun still release ...