Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 long colt

underlug

Can anyone give me a starting point for an approximately 125pf load in .38 long colt using a jacketed 158 grain Berry roundnose bullet and pushing it thru a ported 5 inch barrel? What is the OAL for .38 long colt? Is there a superior bullet weight? Thank you.

This is not a 158gr load but here is my load. 147gr MG FMJ (.357") w/4.5 Unique OAL 1.400". This load on the East Coast was a 129 PF. On the west coast at the 2004 IRC it cronoed at 137 PF. This is out of a 5" 627 (eight times model)l. You can actually use a loading manual for 38 special. Results will be similar.

Underlug,

Why are you chuckling maniacly and rubbing your hands? Have you a plan? The only stuff I could find is Cowboy Acton Loads from Hodgens.

125 GR.LEAD RN

GRS. VEL. fps GRS. VEL. fps

UNIVERSAL 3.2 gr. 626 3.7 gr. 772

HP-38 2.6 gr. 636 3.2 gr. 766

TITEGROUP 2.3 gr. 657 2.7 gr. 752

CLAYS 2.0 gr. 631 2.5 gr. 765

150 GR.

LEAD RNGRS. GRS. VEL. fps GRS. VEL. fps

UNIVERSAL 3.0 gr. 631 3.5 gr. 769

HP-38 2.6 gr. 631 3.3 gr. 777

TITEGROUP 2.3 gr. 641 2.8 gr. 755

CLAYS 2.0 gr. 624 2.6 gr. 744

As you can They don't quite make the power factor but it is a starting point. If I were so inclined I would use the Clays at about 2.6 with the 158. But use caution as you well know. :ph34r::rolleyes:

Bubber. Thanks for the help. I'm just too cheap to buy a .38 super like the big kids. IRC June 17-19. Are you going? Do you think our leader will be there? And here husband? I see a possible conflict with the administration

Hi guys,

I've just found out about this revolver section (and wish there were more of them)

It's interesting HD gun states how much difference in power factor he chrono'd at IRC compared to the "east coast".

I was worried how I was going to go ( I'm from Brisbane-Australia) when I chrono'd, but surprise, surprise 125 at home,compared to 126 in Morro bay,Cal'.

"who would'a thunk it?"

As for loads Underlug, I think I may have something for you as a reference(at the users sole responsability/risk).

I run .38 special cases cut down to 1"OAL (I believe very similar to the long colt??)and load 3.6 grains of WST behind a 147coated lead.

However, I have machined my cylinder back to suit the shorter cartridge length.

It basically was to have the advantages of a .38 supers length, with the rigidity of the .38 special in clips, but without the huge leap of faith to the forcing cone for accuracy.

The reason I chose a 147 is I found the heavier pill felt slightly softer to shoot , but had more muzzle flip for getting back on target for the second shot!

Regards and good luck in finding "the load".

CR

Can anyone give me a starting point for an approximately 125pf load in .38 long colt using a jacketed 158 grain Berry roundnose bullet and pushing it thru a ported 5 inch barrel? What is the OAL for .38 long colt? Is there a superior bullet weight? Thank you.

Here's the measurements;

38 Long Colt 1.031" case 1.325" max OAL

38 Short Colt .775" case 1.180" max OAL

38 Spcl 1.155" case 1.550" max OAL

comparison

45ACP .898 case 1.275" max OAL

I'm very interested in working up a load in the 38 Long Colt with perhaps Titegroup or Clays for a 627 V-Comp. I prefer a plated or FMJ bullet however. IMO the 38 Long Colt might just be the ideal cartridge as it gives more room for powder than the 38 Short Colt, gets the round closer to the forcing cone and is very close to the OAL of a 45 ACP (the ultimate reload round).

I've been researching the 38 Short Colt and while it's the shortest OAL of the bunch it seems that many feel it cretes more problems than it solves. The 38 Long Colt is basically a slightly shorter case than the 38 Special and I'm thinking it just might be the ideal reload ammunition.

Any opinions or expierence in this area is welcomed.

The load that i usedat the IRC 129 PF on the east coast was higher on the west coast. It was strange. I thought I might have changed something when loading it. But it also happened with my shooting buddy. his loads were around 8 pf higher as well.

As far as long colt, I think it is the ultimate comprimise between a long case (38 special) and a short case (38 short colt).I think it is acurate and stable, Easy to load in the gun and short enough for positive ejection.

The load that i usedat the IRC 129 PF on the east coast was higher on the west coast. It was strange. I thought I might have changed something when loading it. But it also happened with my shooting buddy. his loads were around 8 pf higher as well.

As far as long colt, I think it is the ultimate comprimise between a long case (38 special) and a short case (38 short colt).I think it is acurate and stable, Easy to load in the gun and short enough for positive ejection.

Looking at the Powder Burn Rates Uniques is quite abit slower than anything I've used in the past several years (231, WST, Titegroup, Clays). http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

What advantages do you like from this powder for the .38? Is your 627 compensated?

For me 231 was too dirty, WST was okay, Titegroup was more consistent, Clays is the cleanest. All of this was for the .45ACP platform I must admit. The .38/357 is new to me or I should say reintroduced to me after 20 years!

I found with unique is that it burns real clean and cronos very consitantly. Recoil is minimum with the 147grWC bullet sized .357. BTW this is for my stock 627 38/357

I use a 38 super for my open gun. You can find pics of my Revos in the gallery.

Hey guys, nothing wrong with the short colt. Use 38 spec sizing die, 9mm seater and crimp die, and use 9mm load data. It is real close at the chrono. I have had good luck with plated bullets, but they need a real healthy crimp, more than you would think with a plated bullet. DougC

hdgun,

The alltitude was pretty close to sea level at the IRC.what would you think the difference is (if any)where you chrono'd on the east coast??

A couple of us only just scraped in at the Australian IPSC Nationals this year (P/F) and we were told it's because the Canberra range is "way above sea level".

Let me know what you think??

CR

underlug,

I have no idea if I can make the IRC this year. I have two part time jobs and don't have time to do anything. BUT, if Bubber wants to stop by on the way out to Calif., he can't pick up Mamoo and take her to the match..

Oh and to keep on the level of this topic. No, I've never tried 38 long colt. I do have 500 new pieces of short colt, that I never did do any experimenting with. I never saw and advantage to using long colt or short colt in the 38 special gun.

Hey Bubber!

• 3 weeks later...