Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NIGHTHAWKS nitride slide treatment durability?

Kimbertarget

Hello,

Ive decided to restore a few of my steel challenge 1911s and wanted to restore the KYDEX worn slides.

NIGHTHAWK was my choice since ive tried all the "KOTES" and wasnt happy with any of them for a season of gaming.

My question is how durable is NIGHTHAWKS NITRIDE slide treatment VS KYDEX?

I dont want to have the Front cocking serrations and rear skide anti glare serrations done by them only to have my slide look terrible at the end of 2014.

Any opinions on the most durable treatment for my slide? My 1911s are TOOLS yes but since im spending the money i want it to go a long way.

Thank you in advance

That is the conclusion ive come to hence me trying to find a coating that i havent already tried. Im surprised nobody has used a MOLYBDENUM coating, since its durable enough for pistons in a combustion engine and it has antifriction properties to keep it from premature wear. I was thinking of having my buddies hot rod shop do a slide on one of my glocks before i do oneof my 1911s and see how it holds up.

Im going to check into aviation industries coatings,kydex will be defeated this year.im going to find something and ill report back.if not ill gladly take the "i told you so's";)

However is the NIGHTHAWK treatment better than whats out there?

Name your top three most durable 1911 finishes that youve owned that stood up to kydex,what make and model.

Thank you

Hi,

I had Nighthawk put the Nitride finish on my GRP, as a re-finish. I was expecting it to be a long time before I saw anything that looked like wear on it. I was wrong. it was after the third IDPA match I was seeing wear on the end of the slide near the muzzle. Please note I shoot IDPA once a month at my home club.

The Nitride finish gets into the metal, the "finish" is just cosmetic the real protection is in how the Nitride changes the metal to resist wear and corrosion.

If you want pretty longer go Chrome.

Ok, can you get the hard chrome in a MATTE finish or black chrome? I live in florida and want to keep the glare to a minimum hence my flat top slide and serrations.

Also who do you guys recommend for me to send my 1911 to for the hard chrome and how much did you pay?

METALOY, problem solved $300 and its matte finish wont cause any glare which was primary concern with my old stainless 1911.

NIGHTHAWK when i contacted them didnt instill much confidence when i asked how durable their finish was.

METALOY sent me pics of some customers and employees who compete and some of their 1911s coated in the 1980s looked like new. Im sold. I wish they could have their process of HARD CHROME in a BLACK CHROME finish. Whoever invents that is going to be very wealthy.

Im trying MOLYBDENUM coating from a friends hotrod shop on one of my low end pistols to see how it holds up. It works on piston skirts at extremely high temperatures in nitrous and forced induction applications andits self lubricating. Im not aware of ANYONE who has tried this but being a gearhead/machinist/mechanic i like to cross technologies from different industries.