Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Rule of Three Circles

Flexmoney

If you attend the local Circleville, Ohio match (where I do stats), you will likely have to hear my "Rule of 3 Circles" speech. :)

We get far too many incomplete score sheets when we don't use the 3 circles. And, since the stats work gets done at home for this match...the shooter gets the shaft.

But, we seldom have trouble when we use the 3 circles.

1. The RO on the clip board totals the hits, then adds them up. If the recorded hits match the total required...circle the total hit number.

2. If there are any penalties...circle the penalty box.

3. Circle the shooters time.

I like to also have the shooter review, then sign off on, the score sheet...even at the local level. It takes no extra time...and it instills into the shooter that the responsibility of their score sheet is on their shoulders.

I really like the three circles thing. Because of that, I always circle the round count to verify that the total is correct and of course penalties. I don't always circle the time, but I should.

We had a match, early in the year...FOUR score sheets showed up with no time recorded. That was when I started with the 3-cirles thing. (Yeah...one of the score sheets was mine. It sucks when you you are doing stats and you have to enter a zero for yourself.)

Amen!

Your point about making it clear that it's the shooter's responsibility to make sure their sheet is complete and correct should be repeated over and over! In fact, I think I'll put a line that says: "I verify that I've examined this scoresheet for completeness and correct entries" before the spot where they initial it.

• 6 years later...

Oy. Then there are the instances where they do the circles, but they just do the circles...they aren't really checking anything. surprise.gif

I've had 2 of those so far this time, and I'm not half done yet. :(

One was just bad math and I could get the correct score from the hit boxes.

Another, the hits are missing. (on this shooter's 70th B-day, too) :(:(

I passed along your three circles procedure to a newer shooter this weekend. He thought it made sense, I think it makes sense, so it must make sense?cheers.gif

Well, it only works if it gets used.

I don't think there was one score sheet with 3 circles on it. There was one without a time. Two without enough hits recorded. At least two with circles on the hit total...when the total was off.

And, we didn't preach that "sign your score sheets" thing this time...so nobody did. :(

(Like we aren't preachy enough at the shooter's meeting already. ph34r.gif )

I passed along your three circles procedure to a newer shooter this weekend. He thought it made sense, I think it makes sense, so it must make sense?cheers.gif

Well, it only works if it gets used.

I don't think there was one score sheet with 3 circles on it. There was one without a time. Two without enough hits recorded. At least two with circles on the hit total...when the total was off.

And, we didn't preach that "sign your score sheets" thing this time...so nobody did. :(

(Like we aren't preachy enough at the shooter's meeting already. :ph34r: )

Ain't Match admin fun......:ph34r: